Author Topic: Iso feijoa seedlings/rootstocks  (Read 712 times)

dadloring

• Canada/BC/Victoria/Zone9a
    • View Profile
Iso feijoa seedlings/rootstocks
« on: May 23, 2022, 11:56:35 PM »
Look for 1 year old+ seedling feijoa. if you have them or a source for them please let me know

Guarobi

• Gulf Islands
    • View Profile
Re: Iso feijoa seedlings/rootstocks
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 07:05:11 PM »
I have 23 this year but am reluctant to give them away to be grafted. They are on one of the gulf islands. I personally did a lot of research and decided to focus on seedlings rather than cultivars. If you urgently need rootstock, one is almost 2 years old with Mammoth cultivar parentage which is most likely way too late ripening for our region unless you put it against a wall.

The round of seeds from last fall were sourced from the earliest ripening fruit from a very large collection. Parents included the cultivars Kaiteri, Kakariki, and Huia and also a couple of unknowns. From the year before I have one remaining Albert's Joy seedling. They have grown easily and quickly from seed for me and none of the ones I planted in ground and left unprotected last (unusually cold) winter died, even the year old saplings. I think there's a lot of potential for them in ground in our region.

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
Re: Iso feijoa seedlings/rootstocks
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 12:58:49 PM »
Gaurobi, how much would you sell some of your seedlings for? Or perhaps trade for something?

Road past a huge pineapple guava that used to be at the roadside down the street from my work. Some dumbass chopped it down! Just about two weeks ago. Fortunately I picked a ton of fruits last year and enjoyed them. Unfortunately no seeds in any of them. Had really good large fruits. What a shame. Simeone didn't know or appreciate what they had near the end of their driveway. Heartbreaking...
Trying to grow it all!