Author Topic: Iso Indian juicy jujube  (Read 1147 times)

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Iso Indian juicy jujube
« on: December 10, 2022, 09:53:36 PM »
Just as the title says. Anyone have any Indian varieties or juicy Chinese?

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
Re: Iso Indian juicy jujube
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 02:07:00 AM »
As Indian jujubes are tropical, you might have more luck asking that question in the tropical fruits section.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 12:45:05 PM »
As Indian jujubes are tropical, you might have more luck asking that question in the tropical fruits section.
Oh are they not as hardy as the Chinese ones?

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 12:53:05 PM »
Absolutely not. They don't tolerate frost. They are also less tasty compared to Chinese jujubes according to most people.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 01:01:42 PM »
Absolutely not. They don't tolerate frost. They are also less tasty compared to Chinese jujubes according to most people.
Huh, good to know. I was talking to my grandpa about them
He used to live in India and loved eating them. I've only tried the Chinese so far as far as I know. They are a little dry and I wouldn't mind some juicier fruit

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 01:09:53 PM »
Are there any other differences in growing and caring for them?

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 02:24:39 PM »
Probably, but I don't know as I've never grown Indian jujubes. Chinese jujubes are among the easiest plants to grow. You can prune it to maintain its size, but other than that you literally just let it grow and water occasionally.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2022, 02:28:35 PM »
Probably, but I don't know as I've never grown Indian jujubes. Chinese jujubes are among the easiest plants to grow. You can prune it to maintain its size, but other than that you literally just let it grow and water occasionally.
I got to see that first hand. There is one growing near my house that has been there since the 70's at least. I talked to the store manager and it was there before the store was built lol.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2022, 07:41:14 PM »
I brought 2 Indian Jujubes from a private collector this year and they are fruiting right now. 

From what I were told, Indian Jujube fruit is remain green, sweet, crunchy and crispy.  The size is like an egg or bigger if fertilizer right. Required heavy pruning after harvest the fruits which around April because flowers come from new branches.  Flowers season around Oct.

It is very hard to Air-Layer, best graft on a rootstock.

Here is a pic of my fruits as today.  They are in a 7 gal now.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2022, 10:29:01 PM »
I brought 2 Indian Jujubes from a private collector this year and they are fruiting right now. 

From what I were told, Indian Jujube fruit is remain green, sweet, crunchy and crispy.  The size is like an egg or bigger if fertilizer right. Required heavy pruning after harvest the fruits which around April because flowers come from new branches.  Flowers season around Oct.

I found a nursery with a tree. They added me to their list, but said 1 out of 50 take when grafting. For yours why not grow from seed? Or are there names varieties you want to maintain?

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2024, 09:58:28 PM »

How are your jujube doing?