Author Topic: Imbe (Garcinia Livingstonei) Root Propagation  (Read 277 times)

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
Imbe (Garcinia Livingstonei) Root Propagation
« on: November 21, 2023, 02:35:23 PM »
I was weeding around one of my Imbe trees that we planted about 6 months ago and I noticed some Imbe leaves on the ground. I thought I had broken off the end of a branch somehow but upon closer inspection I realized part of the long taproot that somehow got severed (I think we cut it because I left it in the pot too long) had sprouted a new plant.

I pulled up the remaining piece of the root and there was a good 2 feet of it. I cut it up into about 6 inch long sections and put the unsprouted pieces in a tray with some potting mix in the hopes they'll sprout as well. I was under the impression that Garcinia species have weaker root systems so I wasn't expecting to see this.

Picture of the root shoot below.

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: Imbe (Garcinia Livingstonei) Root Propagation
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 04:13:06 PM »
Well this blew my mind lol. Really cool discovery I wouldnt of guessed that outcome at all! Excited for the updates, curious if it works again how long it will take. Thanks for sharing!
Bill

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 09:50:13 PM »
I use this technique propagation .It will grow ,this is a clone. I haven't try in other garcinias

Owen H

• Atascadero, CA, USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 12:06:28 AM »
That's really neat! I know grafted garcinias don't do the best but maybe grafting a scion from a mature tree directly to a root would be more effective than a traditional graft to a seedling?

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2023, 12:21:13 AM »
Madroņo grafting works well . Mangosteen no .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk