Author Topic: New Member Question  (Read 949 times)

tellrich

• Jupiter
    • View Profile
New Member Question
« on: December 21, 2020, 07:53:38 PM »
Hello Members,

Happy holidays everyone!

I am a new member. Can anyone tell me if they know which type of "designer mango will grow best in the Jupiter Farms area? I have a 4 year old Coconut Cream that is growing pretty well, but no fruit yet. Unfortunately, I also planted two Tommy Atkins mangoes from Lowe's about 4 years ago. I just found out that the Tommy Atkins is one of the WORST tasting mangoes on the market. I would like to "top graph" (if there is such a word) the Tommy Atkins with something much better that grows well in my area. There is nothing worse than waiting years for a tree to produce fruit, only to find out that all those years of your life was wasted, because the fruit turned out to be awful.

One more thing. Can anyone tell me if any of these Chinese Jujube trees will grow well in Jupiter Farms?

-  SHERWOOD JUJUBE
- ANT ADMIRE (NEW VARIETY)
- LI JUJUBE
- HONEY JAR JUJUBE

Your prompt response is vital, because I just ordered these trees online and I'm getting conflicting information regarding growth and fruiting potential in my area. shipment is expected to be a bit delayed, so depending on if I get majority thumbs UP  or DOWN, I'll either continue or cancel the order.

Thank you so much my fellow gardeners and tropical fruit tree lovers .

V/r,
Rich

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
Re: New Member Question
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 09:20:53 PM »
 You mean top graft or top work.
Look online for videos on veneer or chip bud grafting mango. You can hack the Tommies back with a chainsaw almost to the branching point and then graft onto the new sprouts a few months later when the branches start to harden up.
If you want to top work with coconut cream I would cut the Tommies back less before grafting since the coconut cream branches like to grow downwards.  Spend some time searching the forums, there is a lot of info and everyone has opinions on what is best....

Those are temperate climate jujubes and would be better suited to North Florida. The more tropical types would grow and produce better in your location but fruit quality is not as good. Indian/Thai varieties have larger fruit and great crunchy texture but are like a barely sweet and bland apple in flavor. I have one of that type planted because my family enjoys eating them even though they are not very flavorful. My kids love the crunch and they are refreshing. They fruit in Spring before Mangos are ripe.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 09:22:00 PM »
You want to grow the Indian Jujube (Z. mauritiana) in SFla.

For designer mangoes, go with the Gloria Vanderbilt (preferred over the Yves Saint Laurent).
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 11:00:47 PM »
Rich,

Glad to see you posted here!

At least your Tommy Atkins trees will provide a good base for top working to better varieties. You could probably try to topwork one branch now even though it's winter just to see if it will take.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 01:20:34 PM »
My uninformed opinion is I would graft  one with Edward and the other with Phoenix. I have had my best grafting success rate with Phoenix and my eighty-year-old mother-in-law Luvs Edward she's very ol Skool when it comes to Mangos :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 11:41:02 PM »
Welcome Rich.
I have a Tommy Atkins that I have successfully grafted other varieties on to - here in Jupiter farms.

Can't help you with the Jujube question but I can certainly help with your mango questions.