Author Topic: Mango: my first taste of Sweet Tart  (Read 730 times)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Mango: my first taste of Sweet Tart
« on: October 28, 2021, 06:21:15 PM »
The 2 or 3 yrs old graft gave us 2 good size fruits this year. We ate one this morning and it was so good. Perfect texture, very dense, and the sweet and tart was perfectly balance. I ate Edward and ST is just much better. I will top off the Edward and graft ST on it. No perfume but just great taste. It reminds me of the old memory of how some Vietnamese great mangoes tasted like, and how the compact seed with brush bristles like fiber on the seed hush. I bet it has VN mangoes in its genes. Anyone know its lineage?

I am still waiting for my Lemon zest to ripe; 5 or 6 big fruits still on the tree and the squirrels were chirping around. I don't think they have tasted a mango yet, but one of them had bit on couple green LZ few weeks ago when they jumped from the Longan tree over to the mango tree. I immediately covered up the mangoes with aluminum foil hoping to distract them. But one day I saw one aluminum foil on the ground and ran looking for the dropped fruit, as I didn't believe the squirrel could carry the big fruit away moving on the trees.  No where to be found within 5 feet radius, and it was a mystery of where was the fruit. Moment later I found it 7 feet away under the Longan tree with no bite marks or even a small bruise from falling on the hard pavers. Who moved it 7 feet away? Not even a scratch from the squirrel sharp teeth or claws. Can the squirrel carry it with front paws and walked on hind legs?
I need to eliminate this squirrel before all of them know how great a ripen mango taste like.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Mango: my first taste of Sweet Tart
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 06:44:12 PM »
The 2 or 3 yrs old graft gave us 2 good size fruits this year. We ate one this morning and it was so good. Perfect texture, very dense, and the sweet and tart was perfectly balance. Anyone know its lineage?
Gary Zill s saying the lineage is from his "Zill Indochinese (ZINC)"

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 06:51:23 PM »
.... Can the squirrel carry it with front paws and walked on hind legs?...

I have seen a racoon do that, and run off with the mango in the headlight of my car as I pulled into the driveway.  It was one of the funniest sights I have ever seen.  Wish I had a dash cam.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 07:36:47 PM »
Yea I had a few standard Sweet Trart mangos earlier in the month and they were excellent but until you experience the Sweet Tart Nubbins you have yet to understand how great this fruit can be. Much smaller in size but super-concentrated in flavor and sweetness. I don't believe our Florida Mango brothers have had these fruit yet as the conditions for this fruit development are unique to California (incomplete pollination in the spring). I only had a few but they were a remarkable experience.

Sweet Tart Nubbins are supreme indeed. 

Johnny

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk