Author Topic: Need help with Loquat tree  (Read 1693 times)

Vid_nand

• Torrance, CA
    • View Profile
Need help with Loquat tree
« on: October 30, 2021, 07:43:25 PM »
Hi All,
I need some help here with my loquat tree.  I got this tree from my friend around three years back.  It was around 3 ft then.  My friend thinks it gave fruit before that.  But, all these years this tree keeps growing (around 8 ft now) & no fruit at all.  I am currently thinking about grafting this with scion of another tree from my neighbor.  I see lots of trunk from the bottom.  Should I keep them all, just remove half of each trunk & graft on that hard wood or just remove some of the top & graft (cleft, whip).  Also, should I remove some branches from the top (or from the base) as the tree looks so dense(around 5-6 ft wide).   I would appreciate any suggestions on this.  Thanks in Advance.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 08:09:19 PM by Vid_nand »

Vid_nand

• Torrance, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with Loquat tree
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 02:24:33 PM »
Friends,
Pls help! 🙏

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 03:53:47 PM »
First i need to say i dont have a fruiting loquat tree, and have been growing loquats for 2 years so thats from my very limited experience...
The plant may be a seedling ,dus may be young to be fruiting ...also i see tree different stemms which may be tree different seedlings that have grown so close together. I personally would remove the middle one, which is the weakest judging by the pics.
You are asking about grafting it, i would personally do that bud still would leave a branch from both of the main trunks, since they may end up to be something special. Be sure to use scions from a known fruiting loquat with nice fruit.
This spring i grafted a dozen of loquats on quince, i used cleft and bark graft methods, all were succesfull and loquat by me seems to be an easily graftable plant.

Now u may also wait a little more on the plant, it may be just too young to fruit, that is if the problem is not hiding elsewhere.

Has the plant ever flowered ??

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 05:47:01 PM »
Vid_nand, there is nothing you need to do to the tree, except cut off the dead branch.
When you are ready to graft, just cut the branches as you graft new varieties for top working the tree. It's good to have multiple trunks, looks like you have plenty of space around the tree. If you want more sunlight to penetrate through the leaves (if it's to dense for you) then just cut off a few smaller branches completely, keep four of the best shaped large branches/trunks in your photo.

Vid_nand

• Torrance, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 08:11:33 PM »
First i need to say i dont have a fruiting loquat tree, and have been growing loquats for 2 years so thats from my very limited experience...
The plant may be a seedling ,dus may be young to be fruiting ...also i see tree different stemms which may be tree different seedlings that have grown so close together. I personally would remove the middle one, which is the weakest judging by the pics.
You are asking about grafting it, i would personally do that bud still would leave a branch from both of the main trunks, since they may end up to be something special. Be sure to use scions from a known fruiting loquat with nice fruit.
This spring i grafted a dozen of loquats on quince, i used cleft and bark graft methods, all were succesfull and loquat by me seems to be an easily graftable plant.

Now u may also wait a little more on the plant, it may be just too young to fruit, that is if the problem is not hiding elsewhere.

Thanks for responding.  Congratulations fir your grafted seedlings 😊.

— Yes.  I too feel that there are multiple trees (seedlings) there. I see around 6 poking from the ground.  I’ve added a pic from another view (Pls chk the 4th pic in my original post).  Can i just keep the one marked (last pic) & remove the rest?

— Sounds great.  Will do that.  I got 4 cuttings (Same tree) from my neighbor.  Do you have done suggestions of good loquat varieties?

—  No flowers yet.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 08:16:35 PM by Vid_nand »

Vid_nand

• Torrance, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 08:14:08 PM »
Vid_nand, there is nothing you need to do to the tree, except cut off the dead branch.
When you are ready to graft, just cut the branches as you graft new varieties for top working the tree. It's good to have multiple trunks, looks like you have plenty of space around the tree. If you want more sunlight to penetrate through the leaves (if it's to dense for you) then just cut off a few smaller branches completely, keep four of the best shaped large branches/trunks in your photo.

Thanks for responding.  When you say 4 best trunks, do u mean the ones from the ground?  Is it possible to mark it in my pics

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 12:04:15 AM »
Yes, I mean the ones just above the ground.

If you want to eliminate(cut down) the other rootstocks if you think it is multiple seedlings planted close together when you cut it be careful not to dig up any of the roots. Just cut to the ground level any of the other rootstock trunks you don't want (ones without your red arrow) and it will not grow back again. Just paint the trunks that are cut off with tree sealer (tar paint) so it will not introduce bugs/mold/etc in the trunks that are cut off.

Vid_nand

• Torrance, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 12:47:39 AM »
Yes, I mean the ones just above the ground.

If you want to eliminate(cut down) the other rootstocks if you think it is multiple seedlings planted close together when you cut it be careful not to dig up any of the roots. Just cut to the ground level any of the other rootstock trunks you don't want (ones without your red arrow) and it will not grow back again. Just paint the trunks that are cut off with tree sealer (tar paint) so it will not introduce bugs/mold/etc in the trunks that are cut off.

Sounds great.  Will do as you said.  Thanks.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 12:59:39 AM »

Here are my suggestions regarding pruning, i marked the branches i would prune. The two thin ones in the middle of the two thick ones really need to go ,when the two main gain some thickness they will strangle the ones in the middle.
Yes you can remove the others and leave the one witch you marked with an arrow, but i would leave the second ,they will grow fine ....
You have a dead section in there which can also be removed ...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 01:01:32 AM by Plantinyum »

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2021, 01:35:36 AM »
Maybe the dead section was grafted, and died back to the graft years ago?

Vid_nand

• Torrance, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2021, 02:19:31 AM »

Here are my suggestions regarding pruning, i marked the branches i would prune. The two thin ones in the middle of the two thick ones really need to go ,when the two main gain some thickness they will strangle the ones in the middle.
Yes you can remove the others and leave the one witch you marked with an arrow, but i would leave the second ,they will grow fine ....
You have a dead section in there which can also be removed ...

Thank you very much.  Will follow your suggestions & keep those two healthy trunks.

Vid_nand

• Torrance, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2021, 02:20:22 AM »
Maybe the dead section was grafted, and died back to the graft years ago?

Probably u are right 😞

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk