Author Topic: 100 gallon pot options?  (Read 4390 times)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
100 gallon pot options?
« on: November 11, 2021, 01:37:28 PM »

I have a happy and producing sabara jaboticaba in a 75 gallon fabric pot that will do better with an up pot and getting rid of the fabric pot. The soil dries out super fast, the edges are always dry, and it leaches a lot of water into the soil below it. It probably has oak roots coming into the bottom too... Anyways, NEVER use a fabric pot is my lesson to all of you.

There are a few options I'm considering for an up-pot:

65 gallon blow molded pot (these are $150 delivered) and dimensionally should barely work, the opening is the same width as my current pot, I may need to prune off / narrow the bottom roots to fit in fully but basically it's the exact same size. Not ideal because the tree won't really get to grow any more root mass, but it will work.

100 or even 300 gallon stock tank and drill a bunch of holes in it. The 100 gal stock tank is the same width as my pot up top but appear to be really narrow in the bottom and I'll probably need to cut off a bunch of roots to fit it into the taper, but then the plant will have some room (10 inches on either side) of fresh soil to get established in. If I get the 300 gallon tank, it will be a ton of $ for soil, the pot, and all that, but the tree will then have years of soil to grow into and will be happy probably for as long as I own it. The 100 gallon is $150, the 300 gallon is $300.

Putting it in the ground is not available to me due to being a renter, extremely high alkaline soil, and gopher pressure.

Any suggestions?

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Re: 100 gallon pot options?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 01:47:43 PM »
Adam keeps some of his jaboticaba containers in baby pools filled with water.  Hard to dry out that way.  Could hold off on such a huge container by doing a good root pruning.  Get a good hoist and lift that beast up and do what ya gotta do, then repot with a new trim and soil.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 01:55:41 PM »
Adam keeps some of his jaboticaba containers in baby pools filled with water.  Hard to dry out that way.  Could hold off on such a huge container by doing a good root pruning.  Get a good hoist and lift that beast up and do what ya gotta do, then repot with a new trim and soil.

Once it's in a plastic pot, the baby pool would work, but the fabric pots are awful for real. They get caked up with fertilizers and salts and the plant dies from the outside in. I almost lost some really nice blueberry plants from this year from that outside in die back. I do have a 45 gallon at the ready that's almost the right size...

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 04:29:05 PM »
How big is a 55gal drum cut in half?  They can be found for dirt cheap.  I don't know how big a "100 gal" pot actually is is because of the goofy trade-sizing.  Maybe you need something bigger than 27 actual-gallons.  My quick investigation shows a 55gal plastic drum as cut in half as being about 24"x18". 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 04:33:26 PM by brian »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 04:38:27 PM »
How big is a 55gal drum cut in half?  They can be found for dirt cheap.  I don't know how big a "100 gal" pot actually is is because of the goofy trade-sizing.  Maybe you need something bigger than 27 actual-gallons.  My quick investigation shows a 55gal plastic drum as cut in half as being about 24"x18".

Current pot is 32" diameter, 24" height

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 04:56:05 PM »
They have the 90 some odd gallon blowmolded as well.
I have seen the totes of soil they sell at the grow store used as a singular pot for plants that would last some seasons but impossible to move and no uppotting options from there.
I think building your own box out of redwood on casters could be the way to go, especially if you could score some old 2x redwood deck boards somewhere and upcycle them.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 05:02:57 PM »
Ah, okay.  At that size I would think about something you can put wheels on, or use a forklift/hand-truck to move. 

"IBC totes" might work if you cut the top off but they sure are ugly.  I see people selling these on craigslist.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 05:06:22 PM by brian »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 05:37:42 PM »
Kevin, here's what I found that is not that expensive and it is durable. It is a dark green color so not that ugly looking, shape is rectangular and the walls are firm, not like most trash bins like Rubbermaid. This brand is probably on the higher end of the quality. Cost is $150 for this 96 gallon. Just remove the lid and it works great, I bury it about 6 inches into the ground.

I have been using this one for my plumeria tree for 10 yrs with no degradation due to outdoor environment. I just removed the plumeria tree (7 ft tall) and reused the trash bin to plant my old fig tree (5" diameter trunk, 7 ft tall).

I plan to buy a few more of these to pot up my in ground citrus tree (15 yr old) and avocado tree (20 yr old).

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 05:51:01 PM »
That one looks pretty good Kaz, easy to move too with wheels! I just worry it might tip over. This tree is really wide.

The IBC tote is something I had forgotten about, but probably the best one listed so far. They're as cheap as $80 but yes, I guess pretty ugly.

PS I have not forgotten about the white sapote scions I owe you, I donated the tree to a local community garden and it really took a hit so I didn't want to take ugly branches with no life in them for you.

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2021, 05:56:58 PM »
You could potentially grow some sort of vine onto the tote, or put some shade-loving plants around it, beneath the canopy of the tree.  Just means more plants, but hey, why not  :o

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2021, 05:57:39 PM »
This year i did several "pots" with this material  inclyding one very big for a willow that weighted prolly arround 130 kilos. U can do pretty much every size with this, just have to place a peace also on the bottom to prevent roots from growing into the ground. Compared to the usual pot price, esp for the immense size ones, this decission was the most wallet friendly for me, this material is verry cheap here...
Fixing the two ends to one another i did with zip ties.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2021, 06:01:16 PM »
I think redwood boxes or the IBC tote would be where I'd go next.  At that size you will only be able to move with a pallet jack or a forklift or something, I'd imagine? Redwood looks good and probably would be comparable in cost, although I've scored an IBC tote for 50$.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2021, 06:51:23 PM »
Kevin, yes it is taller and might tip, that is why I bury it in ground about 6" so it is stable. I also put in metal stakes (flat 2" wide x 3 ft) on all four side so no way it will move. It does make it easy to move for transporting, just dig 6" of soil on one side then roll it out when you want to put it on a truck bed. No need for a floor jack/Pallet jack (which I also have). The large plastic wheels actually holds up when you move the tree. The pallet jack wheels will not move in dirt/soil.

I have a 12 ft loquat in a similar bin, also a 7 ft pluot (6" diameter), guava tree, and avocado tree.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 11:39:34 PM by sc4001992 »

Hermitian

• USA, CA, Vista, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2021, 09:24:23 PM »
For that size, I prefer wooden tree boxes available from suppliers to the nursery trade. Typically you assemble them yourself with a nail gun and metal strapping.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2021, 10:20:08 PM »
Great looking tree dude! Nice job
Nate

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2021, 10:36:22 PM »
Great looking tree dude! Nice job

Thank you! Hopefully I can get them correctly oriented this time. It just started producing.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2021, 01:36:10 AM »
Sorry, I have a hard time believing that is a "75 gallon pot". The pictures don't line up with such a huge pot in my opinion. I have a sabara in a 36" redwood container that's 10' ft. tall and it looks huge compared with your set up- no offense  :).
-Chris

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2021, 07:06:31 AM »
The dimensions given (32" diameter, 24" height) calculates to 83 gallons so it's correct.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2021, 09:38:26 AM »
Only 27G

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2021, 09:46:49 AM »
Oops!
I forgot pi

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2021, 10:22:02 AM »
Ah, okay.  At that size I would think about something you can put wheels on, or use a forklift/hand-truck to move. 

"IBC totes" might work if you cut the top off but they sure are ugly.  I see people selling these on craigslist.

/quote]these can be made attractive by covering with house siding even tile or cultured stone

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2021, 11:27:03 AM »
It looks like it's on drip irrigation, so one option would be make a drip branch that waters more frequently for fabric pots, and to put it/them where you don't mind the leaching below. With a huge plastic container like that trash can I'd worry about the roots getting enough oxygen.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2021, 12:59:58 PM »
It looks like it's on drip irrigation, so one option would be make a drip branch that waters more frequently for fabric pots, and to put it/them where you don't mind the leaching below. With a huge plastic container like that trash can I'd worry about the roots getting enough oxygen.

I'm going to go with the IBC tank and cut about 1/3 of the height off I've decided. That should get me a really nice wide pot that evaporates quick but can add another 25-50 gallon of soil. It also has the advantage of fork lift / pallet jack transport. The garbage can is probably perfect if you're pulling a tree out of the ground or one with a tap root, Kaz has the experience of decades so I believe him that they work great... For me, the width is important so IBC makes sense.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2021, 01:17:24 PM »
Please report back on your experience, I have been interested in the idea of stacking these IBC totes as a possible north-wall-water-temperature-storage for greenhouses.  I have never gotten my hands on one up close, though. 

CJD

• USA, Santa Barbara, CA, Sunset 24, USDA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2021, 02:34:07 PM »
Check AGRX in Goleta For IBC type totes. These are used here for sulfuric acid delivery. You should be able to find a used one for cheap or free. You also may want to consider a MacroBin with a lining.  They should be about $200 new. Congrats on the great looking jaboticaba.