Author Topic: Giant Fiji Longan - Another White Whale or White Elephant?  (Read 15175 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Fiji Longan - Another White Whale or White Elephant?
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2015, 07:08:10 PM »
They are not usually grafted and grow pretty true as far as I understand.I am twice removed from this tree and won't chase grafting material.The tree itself is a seedling.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
They are not usually grafted and grow pretty true as far as I understand.I am twice removed from this tree and won't chase grafting material.The tree itself is a seedling.

Ok Mike T "Fruit Messiah" we wait for your 'Second Comming'; please keep us posted next year on this white  whale; I would like to buy, trade, smuggle....10 seeds only next year!😀 I promised they will not go through my normal Choctaw gaunlet selection process!  Do you any chance know when this seedling started fruiting from seeds, what type of soil?  How about a satelite coordinate so we can all drool with emotion tortures for a messianic prophecy year?😐😑😞😔😣😖😩😫😱😕😦😮😶🙏🏾🐴🌿
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2015, 08:58:13 PM »
Coconut it might be a bit soon to talk about a biblical experience with the eating of this fruit.It is somewhere around Kuranda so has highly weathered infertile soil of metamorphic parent material.
Maybe the US is not ready for this fruit and it will cause a tear in the pomological space-time continuum if an out of sequence longan shows up.You guys are still going through your kohala and blew kiew phases.
Maybe it is better just to see if I can get seeds before allocating them out.This species seeds are hard to post but I have a couple of reliable and permitted receivers should seeds fall in to my possession at some time in the future.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2015, 04:48:34 AM »
I would love to get a seed or two if possible in the future.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2015, 06:41:24 AM »

This is another look at the 2 smaller pometia at the back of the original shot where 2 were opened.My friend sent this additional shot.He has only 1 or 2 surviving seedlings as there were casualties while my friend was holidaying in China and a neglectful step son was looking after them.My seedling was probably one that passed away.Oh well next season I would like to see full sized whoppers of fruit.

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2015, 10:59:36 AM »
Rock

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2015, 05:39:27 PM »
Very interesting Rock and the origins of the ones here was Fiji.They were selected as the best variety to send here by forestry workers and it is unknown if they were from wild or cultivated trees.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2016, 04:48:21 PM »
Below is a 1982 reference to a large Fiji longan in New Guinea by a Cairns fruit enthusiast.Maybe it is a close relative of the one in the photos.

OBSERVATIONS IN PAPUA NEW GUINEA
On a recent collecting tour of Lae and Rabaul in Papua New Guinea, Jacky and I saw some very interesting growing conditions, tasted some delicious fruits and nuts, and met some very interesting people.
The pH factor in some areas around Lae is as high as 9.3, and yet the jungle is as lush and tall as any other. The high pH is due to the lime which washes down the mountains in the Markam Valley and in places can be seen as a white coating on creek beds. The lime comes from dead coral reefs situated thousands of feet up the mountains. The north coast of Papua New Guinea is known as a rising coast line and is situated on the Pacific Volcanic Fault Line.
Lush avocado trees in heavy crop were observed growing in very swampy conditions around Lae. I believe the answer lies in the heavy concentrations of lime, plus the fact that the area is alluvial and well drained. The top soil is very young, containing considerable organic material, and rainfall is regular throughout the year. In fact 3 days without rain around Lae, is considered "a bit of a drought". It is unfortunate that although the avocado trees have been in P.N.G. for about 60 years, the local natives cannot be convinced to eat them.
Ted Henty, Senior Botanist with the Forestry Dept. in Lae was our host, and astounded us with facts and figures on P.N.G. and its people and vegetation.
We were so impressed with Pit Pit (Setaria palmifolia and Saccharum edule), as a cooked vegetable, we have decided to add it to our regular diet. It tasted similar to broccoli and is easy to boil or bake in the oven. Only the immature inflorescence is eaten.
Rabaul was another beautiful place we visited. It was like something out of a South Seas Island travelogue. Here we tasted the famous Fiji Longan (Pometia pinnata), known locally as Taun Nut. There are two main varieties, the hard skin type and the soft skin type. The hard skin was as big as a rambutan and the soft skin as big as an apple. They are sweet, fruity and similar to the Longan. We managed to collect about twenty seeds which have all germinated here in Cairns. With their large leathery leaves and bunches of purple fruit, they make a good back yard tree.
Many Chinese families have Chinese longans in the back yards around Rabaul but they rarely fruit. One interesting story we heard was that when the fire crackers explode in the Longan trees, the nearest branch will often flower and set fruit, soon afterwards.
Pau nuts (Barringtonia species) were especially delicious with a taste something like coconut, and a very soft and crunchy texture.
Galip nuts are hard to beat, in fact are equal to our Queensland nut.
Ron Croydon, who is district horticulturalist at Kerevat Agricultural Station, (where we tasted a mouth-watering Langsat) gave us a very good guided tour of all the best back yard fruit trees in Rabaul. Many thanks, Ron!
John Marshall
DATE: May 1982

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2016, 06:30:42 PM »
I want !!!!!!!!!!!
 ::) ::) ::) ::)

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2016, 07:08:41 PM »
Below is a 1982 reference to a large Fiji longan in New Guinea by a Cairns fruit enthusiast.Maybe it is a close relative of the one in the photos.

OBSERVATIONS IN PAPUA NEW GUINEA
On a recent collecting tour of Lae and Rabaul in Papua New Guinea, Jacky and I saw some very interesting growing conditions, tasted some delicious fruits and nuts, and met some very interesting people.
The pH factor in some areas around Lae is as high as 9.3, and yet the jungle is as lush and tall as any other. The high pH is due to the lime which washes down the mountains in the Markam Valley and in places can be seen as a white coating on creek beds. The lime comes from dead coral reefs situated thousands of feet up the mountains. The north coast of Papua New Guinea is known as a rising coast line and is situated on the Pacific Volcanic Fault Line.
Lush avocado trees in heavy crop were observed growing in very swampy conditions around Lae. I believe the answer lies in the heavy concentrations of lime, plus the fact that the area is alluvial and well drained. The top soil is very young, containing considerable organic material, and rainfall is regular throughout the year. In fact 3 days without rain around Lae, is considered "a bit of a drought". It is unfortunate that although the avocado trees have been in P.N.G. for about 60 years, the local natives cannot be convinced to eat them.
Ted Henty, Senior Botanist with the Forestry Dept. in Lae was our host, and astounded us with facts and figures on P.N.G. and its people and vegetation.
We were so impressed with Pit Pit (Setaria palmifolia and Saccharum edule), as a cooked vegetable, we have decided to add it to our regular diet. It tasted similar to broccoli and is easy to boil or bake in the oven. Only the immature inflorescence is eaten.
Rabaul was another beautiful place we visited. It was like something out of a South Seas Island travelogue. Here we tasted the famous Fiji Longan (Pometia pinnata), known locally as Taun Nut. There are two main varieties, the hard skin type and the soft skin type. The hard skin was as big as a rambutan and the soft skin as big as an apple. They are sweet, fruity and similar to the Longan. We managed to collect about twenty seeds which have all germinated here in Cairns. With their large leathery leaves and bunches of purple fruit, they make a good back yard tree.
Many Chinese families have Chinese longans in the back yards around Rabaul but they rarely fruit. One interesting story we heard was that when the fire crackers explode in the Longan trees, the nearest branch will often flower and set fruit, soon afterwards.
Pau nuts (Barringtonia species) were especially delicious with a taste something like coconut, and a very soft and crunchy texture.
Galip nuts are hard to beat, in fact are equal to our Queensland nut.
Ron Croydon, who is district horticulturalist at Kerevat Agricultural Station, (where we tasted a mouth-watering Langsat) gave us a very good guided tour of all the best back yard fruit trees in Rabaul. Many thanks, Ron!
John Marshall

Mike you just made me wish I had dated the guy who used to work at PNG's Forest Reserve Unit instead of the engineer next door! I will hunt you down and squat in a camper and wait for your seedlings. Lol
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2016, 08:54:39 PM »
Makes me wanna go PNG!
Sign me up!

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2016, 10:32:35 PM »
"There are two main varieties, the hard skin type and the soft skin type. The hard skin was as big as a rambutan and the soft skin as big as an apple. They are sweet, fruity and similar to the Longan."

..........  Wow beautiful and tasty and description as big as an apple and sweet and fruity, thanksFor this info Mike, I wonder how many of us fruit enthusiasts get very exited like me, reading about this almost mythological fruits!! I just felt like a kid reading a very interesting novel in the part where the exploration of the treasure map is taking place, I was transported to to the exuberant PNG jungles along with those guys tasting the fruits! It's very exiting just to think how many superior varieties of fruits can be out there, thanks for sharing Mike!!
El verde es vida!

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2016, 08:22:14 AM »
...Rabaul was another beautiful place we visited. It was like something out of a South Seas Island travelogue. Here we tasted the famous Fiji Longan (Pometia pinnata), known locally as Taun Nut. There are two main varieties, the hard skin type and the soft skin type. The hard skin was as big as a rambutan and the soft skin as big as an apple. They are sweet, fruity and similar to the Longan. We managed to collect about twenty seeds which have all germinated here in Cairns. With their large leathery leaves and bunches of purple fruit, they make a good back yard tree.
John Marshall

From 1982 to present day, 34 years have been passed.... I´m curious to know: The seedlings in Cairns survived? If so, the fruits are really that big as originally described? :)

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2016, 02:35:43 PM »
The fruits I saw at the Fruit & Spice Park this last weekend were about plum-sized while still a bit immature. Kept the seeds and they have already started sprouting roots...

Jaime

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2016, 04:38:56 PM »
I don't know if any of the Fiji longans survived but the ones in the picture are not from that source. The old timers are not always forthcoming about their good trees and even just what they have. There is not the willingness to spread around the rarer and better fruits like you may expect. I could go to the source via a contact and try to find out.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2016, 03:05:30 AM »
Did you have any more luck with this Mike?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2016, 05:06:16 AM »
On reflection Raul may have been correct in that the giant apple sized ones with a softer shell must be this type. Rather than Rabaul the source was Fiji but Fijian fruit collectors don't seem to know about it.With the failure of the last wet season the tree itself produced no fruit for the 2016 season and oddly it has rained for much of the dry season with way more rain than usual. Hopefully the tree will have a bumper crop in feb/march 2017 and I can send seeds to a few dedicated chums on the forum.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2016, 05:13:04 AM »
Awesome, was just talking to a friend regarding garcinia Warrenii and shes had the same thing, a dry wet followed by a wet dry. With the same result, pretty much no crop.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2016, 08:15:16 AM »
Hey Mike, I just came across this:
http://www.pngplants.org/PNGtrees/TreeDescriptions/
If you have a look at the Pometia's they list variants with fruits from 10mm to 40mm and between. If this much variety exists in PNG maybe its the epicentre of the species.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 08:17:27 PM by druss »

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2016, 11:11:50 AM »
With the help of Google, I found this pic:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:27:52 AM by Cassio »

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2017, 10:32:18 PM »
This tree is a fast growing tree.In one year after planted from seeds the plant will be about 1.5 metres tall.Old specimen can grow very big and tall.It grows best in equatorial region.below are are some plants at a botanical garden in singapore

https://florafaunaweb.nparks.gov.sg/Special-Pages/plant-detail.aspx?id=3084

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2021, 06:44:59 AM »
As this story runs into its 7th year and I have not updated I reflect on Durio macrantha. Russells Sweet Garcinia and a few others where I shot my mouth off a bit early but still ending up bagging these uber rarities. Admittedly the trail ran cold on the giant Fiji longan that I suspected may render all other pometias  as yesterdays heroes. The clues ran dry........until recent events.
A friend sent some pics taken by a acquaintance on the northern New Guinea coast.

Clearly the same thing and my interest in resolving this case was brought back to life. In April which was the same time of the year as when the last of the crop was located and photographed 6 short years earlier a fruit loving chum suggested we look again and follow up an old lead. I don't know how I missed it before but it was like the tree wanted to be found and thrust itself upon us. Fiji longan season but no fruit or sign of flowers. Was it a dud?

A follow up inspection in June revealed winter fruit had set and were growing.

There are still some complications but barring a calamity it will be case closed and white whale bagged and a neat bow on this elusive tree and fruit. Rather than the end of a story I think it is just the beginning. Stay tuned.

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2021, 11:02:38 AM »
Thar she blows! All hands on deck. Get the harpoons ready!
Ah the Return of the white whale.
Epic saga Mike epic.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2021, 10:36:58 AM »
Patience and persistence, perhaps a great story in the offing here.
Do keep us posted.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2021, 02:39:20 AM »
Great that you finally found the tree Mike! Great find. Only 6 years. What is 6 years in this hobby of ours? Not much!
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk