Author Topic: NEW BOOK: Frutas No Brasil, Nativas e Exoticas (Fruits in Brazil)  (Read 16455 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
The latest book from Harri Lorenzi, Marco Lacerda, and Luis Bacher, has arrived!  I believe it's been out for a little while now, but I got a copy today.

Such a beautiful book, inside and out.

I'm so excited to read this book.  The new information presented about Plinia/Myrciaria is astounding.  There are so many new species, descriptions and photographs.  There are also some changes to the taxonomy, many of the species formerly designated as Myrciaria, are now called Plinia (yet there are several species that retain label as Myrciaria).

It will take me a while to digest the info, especially because the book has yet to be translated.  What a great opportunity for me to learn a little more Portuguese!  I believe the book will be available in English (at least as an e-book) soon.

A must have for all serious jabuticaba (Brazilian fruit) collectors, this is the most recent and comprehensive book about this subject.

here is a video I found, that someone made about the book in Brazil, just to show what it looks like.

http://youtu.be/jMxWOFGwgaY

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 01:32:46 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
Re: NEW BOOK: Frutas No Brasil, Nativas e Exoticas
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 05:40:33 PM »
My book is already in my hands.
Many new species and good pictures.
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 05:47:51 PM »

I saw you posted a picture the other day!  How long have you had it for?  Where did you get it?

BTW, check out the beginning of the book on the "agradecimentos" page!

I was surprised to see a familiar name first on the list! (actually several names)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nelesedulis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 06:00:17 PM »
I bought the book launch day, about 30 days ago, I think Marco Lacerda told me the release I bought directly on the Plantarum Institute website.
Tomorrow I will see the preface, I took the book to my work, the first book served as a reference for me to ride my collection.
And I was relieved to see that this new book I already have a little more than half of the species!

Before I saw the book one marang a champedaque a Mabolo a cambuci a lacoocha, seemed things from another planet.

Today, on the farm, when I go there, I decide, I think I will now eat a fresh marang harvested on time, tomorrow I will make a cambuci juice, I'm there in my tree take a santol ... one feijoa ...
Today I want to eat a mamey, then I'll eat a longan; ....

As we say in Brazil:

Hoje eu tiro onda...

I saw you posted a picture the other day!  How long have you had it for?  Where did you get it?

BTW, check out the beginning of the book on the "agradecimentos" page!

I was surprised to see a familiar name first on the list! (actually several names)
Facebook
Alexandre Neles

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 07:48:35 PM »
would love to get a copy once it's translated in English :)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 09:54:37 PM »
Raimeiken

I think it's worth it to get the Portuguese version.  The English version may only be in E-book form, and I'm not sure when it will be released, it could take a little while (but I'd imagine it will be relatively soon, within a year?).

There is so much good info in the book...not just about jabuticaba!  There's some great info about Garcinias, Annonas, Eugenias, Pouterias, and others (like a yellow Acerola cutlivar!?!  I don't want to spoil the plot, like the new starwars... ;D  ).  It has a bunch of new species I've never heard about, and new cultivars I've never seen.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: NEW BOOK: Frutas No Brasil, Nativas e Exoticas (Fruits in Brazil)
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 10:27:43 PM »
Can just use an app on the smartphone to translate the text to english my snapshot.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 10:30:38 PM »
Can just use an app on the smartphone to translate the text to english by snapshot.

dude, I gotta get that app...what's it called?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 11:08:11 AM »
Hi Adam maybe this one will work, check it out.
Carlos
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=an.PortTranslate&hl=en

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 02:37:12 PM »
Raimeiken

I think it's worth it to get the Portuguese version.  The English version may only be in E-book form, and I'm not sure when it will be released, it could take a little while (but I'd imagine it will be relatively soon, within a year?).

There is so much good info in the book...not just about jabuticaba!  There's some great info about Garcinias, Annonas, Eugenias, Pouterias, and others (like a yellow Acerola cutlivar!?!  I don't want to spoil the plot, like the new starwars... ;D  ).  It has a bunch of new species I've never heard about, and new cultivars I've never seen.

i hope they release it in a hard copy. i love having lots of coffee table books and this one looks like it has a lot of eye candy.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 02:48:24 PM »
how much is the book and how much was shipping?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 11:19:01 PM »

I was very lucky and got the book as a gift!  I need to figure out where to buy them (maybe Oscar at fruitlovers.com will have them?  but I'm not sure if he will stock them in Portuguese)

Honestly, the book is surprisingly easy to read.  Once you learn a few key words, the information starts to flow.  I can understand about 30% of the text, just because it looks like English...but I won't lie, I've learned more Portuguese in the last 4yrs, than I ever expected...all because I've been scouring the internet for info about Brazilian fruit trees!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 10:09:36 AM »
Oooooohhhhhhhhh aaaahhhhhh
I tried to order the book a little bit ago, but couldn't get by the language barrier. My emails wouldn't go through.
Lance if you find a way to order, lmk! Maybe we order together and save on shipping.

azorean

• Portugal, Azores, São Roque do Pico
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 11:38:57 AM »
The Plantarum website can't take international orders so I used a friend's address in Brazil and she sent it to me in Europe. I believe it is also necessary to provide the CPF number (a loose translation would be "tax payer card" number), fortunately I still have mine from my fieldwork times in Brazil (you can get it in any Brazilian consulate). I guess for now this is the only way to get the book, which is a fascinating read for fruit lovers.

nelesedulis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 12:39:15 PM »

The Plantarum website can't take international orders so I used a friend's address in Brazil and she sent it to me in Europe. I believe it is also necessary to provide the CPF number (a loose translation would be "tax payer card" number), fortunately I still have mine from my fieldwork times in Brazil (you can get it in any Brazilian consulate). I guess for now this is the only way to get the book, which is a fascinating read for fruit lovers.
Facebook
Alexandre Neles

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 02:02:22 PM »

thanks for posting this info!  I had a feeling this was the case.

I admire your perseverance...you had to have the book!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 04:17:11 PM »
Oooooohhhhhhhhh aaaahhhhhh
I tried to order the book a little bit ago, but couldn't get by the language barrier. My emails wouldn't go through.
Lance if you find a way to order, lmk! Maybe we order together and save on shipping.

I have one friend I can ask, but he's getting swamped by his job and we'll see what happens.

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 05:16:47 PM »
Hi, "A must have for all serious jabuticaba (Brazilian fruit) collectors, this is the most recent and comprehensive book about this subject.",

so it list "new" jaboticaba species? or does it gives key info?
what could I find there that would not be on the net?
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 05:21:09 PM »
Hi, "A must have for all serious jabuticaba (Brazilian fruit) collectors, this is the most recent and comprehensive book about this subject.",

all sorts of new Myricaria and Plinia species and varieties....I don't think you can find the info online anywhere.

lots of new Eugenias too...extremely impressive photos....they have more photos in this book than the original "Brazilian Fruits" book...they show the whole tree, rather than just a few branches.

of course there is key info on all the new stuff too.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 05:46:04 PM »

I was very lucky and got the book as a gift!  I need to figure out where to buy them (maybe Oscar at fruitlovers.com will have them?  but I'm not sure if he will stock them in Portuguese)

Honestly, the book is surprisingly easy to read.  Once you learn a few key words, the information starts to flow.  I can understand about 30% of the text, just because it looks like English...but I won't lie, I've learned more Portuguese in the last 4yrs, than I ever expected...all because I've been scouring the internet for info about Brazilian fruit trees!

I would regularly stock the book in Portuguese if forum member showed enough interest. You can also special order the book in Portuguese by just letting me know. I get regular shipments from Plantarum in Brazil. The books take about 3-4 weeks to arrive to me, and then another few days for me to post to you. I would need prepayment if you want to special order the book.
I think the english version will only be available as an e-book later on. Unfortunately Lorenzi has found that the english versions of the books don't sell nearly as well as the books sell inside Brazil.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 06:03:59 PM »
Oscar,

nice to see you posted here...glad to know you are selling the new book!

I bought the Brazilian Fruits book from you about 5-6yr ago...and it was the best investment I ever made, honest to God, with all seriousness.

It catapulted my career, and fueled my obsession!

the new book has me reliving the past, getting excited about new info and plants to grow!  the language barrier is kind of funny...it's like having the woman of your dreams, but she's wearing lingerie that must be decoded, to be fully removed...I can see the goodies...I just can't get the full picture yet!

haha the tease is tasty...I'm in the process of undressing the text now :P
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 06:06:50 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 06:19:25 PM »
Oscar,

nice to see you posted here...glad to know you are selling the new book!

I bought the Brazilian Fruits book from you about 5-6yr ago...and it was the best investment I ever made, honest to God, with all seriousness.

It catapulted my career, and fueled my obsession!

the new book has me reliving the past, getting excited about new info and plants to grow!  the language barrier is kind of funny...it's like having the woman of your dreams, but she's wearing lingerie that must be decoded, to be fully removed...I can see the goodies...I just can't get the full picture yet!

haha the tease is tasty...I'm in the process of undressing the text now :P

I think soon enough you will have access to the english translated e-version, so that anything you are confused about you can easily look it up online.
I'm still waiting on Lorenzi's promise to do an encyclopedic type work only on ALL of the Brazilian fruits. He wanted to have a book that includes all the Amazonian fruits (many of which are only mentioned in Calvacante's old books). Guess that is still in the pipeline.
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 06:30:58 PM »
Adam,
It looks like I need to save some space in my suitcase next time I go to Brasil.  I wish I could stop in São Paulo and go visit the Plantarum, in Nova Odessa, São Paulo.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 06:43:33 PM »
Berto for sure!  if you can't bring back actual trees, bring back lots of books about them!

Oscar, I was pleased to see you got some credit in the book, I believe it says your pictures were used...I saw your name mentioned several times.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 11:25:01 PM »

all sorts of new Myricaria and Plinia species and varieties....I don't think you can find the info online anywhere.

lots of new Eugenias too...extremely impressive photos....they have more photos in this book than the original "Brazilian Fruits" book...they show the whole tree, rather than just a few branches.

of course there is key info on all the new stuff too.

If th info is not online, it should be! a lot of endangered fruit trees need to be saved
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk