Author Topic: Largest Airlayer Lychee  (Read 8135 times)

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
Largest Airlayer Lychee
« on: July 27, 2012, 01:33:39 AM »
Hi all, just wanted to shared pictures of my new lychee airlayer (variety is unknown). A few months back, I meet a nice couple that lives out in Cerritos that owns a really big tree and they agreed to let me airlayer their tree for 2 bills (What a deal!!!). I put on the airlayer on 4/9 and i just chopped it yesterday 7/25. This is the most hugemongous airlayer I've ever done. I forgot the take picture of the root ball (pretty good size root ball with lots of fiberous roots). It's about 8 to 9 feet tall with a nice fat trunk. Trimmed most of the leaves and some taller branches off. It's now potted in a 3 gallon and placed in a 15 gallon to help support the tree from falling. What do you guys think?
Max

Entire tree

Top of tree

Mid-trunk

Bottom trunk

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Largest Airlayer Lychee
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 02:51:12 AM »
Congrats, I wish I had a lychee airlayer that big. Keep us updated how the fruit quality is.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 04:09:21 AM »
Fruit4me, there is no doubt that air layers done on larger branches do fruit sooner.
Oscar

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 12:12:24 PM »
This is huge!! LOL

Good luck  ;)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 01:03:39 PM »
I know you said you don't know the variety but have you ever tasted the fruit or did the nice people give you a description of the fruit?  I think this is the largest fresh air layer I've seen 8)  Please keep us updated on how your tree performs!
Simon

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 01:13:36 PM »
Wow, that is a nice size tree. Great to get one that big. Let us know how it tasts when it fruits.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 04:54:13 PM »
Wow that is a huge airlayer, you'll be getting fruit very soon after its planted.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 06:07:40 PM »
I've done huge air layers like that for people that requested them. Usually it is not practical. Especially if you are going to be mailing them! But for local use it's fine.
BTW, i've also done, at the other spectrum, super tiny air layers, for people that wanted large quantities sent in a very small box.
Oscar

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 01:34:06 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Simon

I was told that last year their tree was fully loaded with fruits. Unfortunately, I met them after their harvest so i didn't get to try the fruit and this year got no fruit.  I remember seeing a picture that was posted on craigslist of the fruits looking very similar to a brewster. Shape, size, and color all resembles a brewester, and especially the fully red color. But, the lady tells me that the fruit has small seed so i could be wrong. I'll just have to wait another year to see.

Max

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 08:46:03 AM »
Congrats on your HUGE size air layer lychee Max!!

" they agreed to let me airlayer their tree for 2 bills (What a deal!!!)"

Sorry, can you tell me how much 2 bills are?!? I tried using Yahoo to find out only to pull up $2 bills,lol...

Thanks!

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 11:42:05 AM »
Hi Nancy, it's two hundred dollars. If it was only $2 bills, I'd be really ripen them off. Ha!
Max

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »
What container mix are you using for it fruit4me?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 01:36:12 PM »
Good looking air layer. $200 seems a little steep to me though. I hope it does well for you.

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 04:55:02 PM »
@Nullzero
I'm using mostly peat moss mix in with some perlite and a little bit of dirt. Also, i added small amount of grow mulch.

@Jsvand5
Thanks. Comparing to a thumb size trunk on a sweetheart i bought for $120, I feel like I'm getting a really good deal on this one. It's like the size of my ankle!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 05:03:21 PM by fruit4me »

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 05:03:56 PM »
@Nullzero
I'm using mostly peat moss mix in with some perlite and a little bit of dirt. Also, i added small amount of grow mulch.

@Jsvand5
Thanks. Comparing to a thumb size trunk on a sweetheart i bought for $120, I feel like I'm getting a really good deal on this one. It's like the size of my ankle!

Where are you located?

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 05:14:25 PM »
Jsvand5
I'm in San Gabriel Ca

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 05:33:01 PM »
That explains it. Plants in CA cost so much more than they are here in FL.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 01:43:17 AM »
Please keep update this thread about anything that comes up with your new tree. Make sure your tree location is not windy. I've made and learned from many mistakes in the past. But if your root ball is large then it should be fine. Anti-transpirant sprays may help. Lychee bark dries up very easily here.

I used to do 5ft airlayers and they've worked well. The root balls were small. They could fit in #1 pots at first.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 02:10:44 AM »
Please keep update this thread about anything that comes up with your new tree. Make sure your tree location is not windy. I've made and learned from many mistakes in the past. But if your root ball is large then it should be fine. Anti-transpirant sprays may help. Lychee bark dries up very easily here.

I used to do 5ft airlayers and they've worked well. The root balls were small. They could fit in #1 pots at first.

Keeping new air layer out of wind is very good advice. Air layers also need filtered sunlight and lots of watering, better yet very frequent misting, as they dry out very easily when just taken off the trees. Sometimes plastic bag tent is also in order. You pretty much have to treat newly potted air layers like plants that have been bare rooted: in ICU  for a while.
Oscar

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 02:32:30 AM »
Yeah, I did the plastic tent method and was able to keep most of the existing leaves. Until I met Leo Manuel I didn't know to do that and all the leaves fell off and had to be regenerated.

fruit4me, if possible you should tent your airlayer too.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 08:09:15 AM »
There was a guy in western Broward County, near me that ran a business he called Levinson Farm.  He was a very early lychee seller....well, modern day early lychee seller I mean.  He was active in the Rare Fruit Council once upon a time. I witnessed some absolutely huge air layers that he did.  He had a small crane that he used to get the material up into the tree for the layer preparation. It took a crane to remove and lower the airlayers when they were ready to be planted. These huge airlayers went right in the ground and didn't really miss a beat. They fruited very early and in pretty good volume. So, this method works with whatever size lychee branch you could logistically layer.  Good luck with yours.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 02:39:15 PM »
Awesome!  Congratulations!
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 01:03:48 AM »
Hi everyone, my gigantic airlayer didn't make it through this past winter. So I went back recently  to put on an airlayer thats a little shorter this time so I can bring it in the garage. I took a few of pictures of the mother tree. Theres a lot of baby fruits this year. I was told this tree is at least 15 years old. Anyone can guess what variety?

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:07:34 AM by fruit4me »

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 02:31:09 AM »
Sorry to hear that, perhaps it would have been better to immediatly plant it in the ground, instead of a pot, because of the size of the air-layer. Nevertheless, it goes without saying, don't give up, it seems that you have a talent for this kind of thing.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 07:17:49 AM »
Sorry about your large airlayer not surviving... best of luck with the new one. Thanks for updating this thread. That mother tree is a beauty...look at all those baby lychees!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk