Author Topic: Rare pineapples  (Read 9310 times)

RiversOFT

• St.augustine Florida United States
    • View Profile
Rare pineapples
« on: March 30, 2017, 11:03:49 PM »
Just wondering what kinds of pineapples people are growing
I have
Mona sugarloaf
Florida special
And white jade
I also have a small Bromelia pinguin
I know there's a red one out there and I've heard of a green one ?
Any other unique ones that are edible ?
unless someone like you
Cares a whole awful lot
Nothing is going to get better,
It's not

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
Re: Rare pineapples
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 09:12:50 AM »
Most of what is widely available are the tissue culture plants from one of the major suppliers - white jade, elite gold, Florida special, smooth cayenne, and sugarloaf.  I have these.  I think not many people on the forum are interested in other varieties of pineapples because md-2 (most grocery store pineapples) is considered superior to the other varieties and it's so easy to get one.  The ARS has an extensive collection in Hawaii that you can request small tissue culture plants from if you want some of the rare types.  I keep meaning to do this.

There is an edible red variety called Red Spanish that is widely planted in other countries.  I've never seen one in the US though.  I think I read it tends to be a smaller fruit than md-2, but is supposedly a more durable plant.  Not sure about green though. 

RiversOFT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 09:35:51 AM »
Could you post a link to the place in Hawaii you mentioned ?
unless someone like you
Cares a whole awful lot
It's not

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 03:09:04 PM »
I am very interested in Indian varieties, like Giant Kew, Queen, etc. But I don't know how to get them in the States.

http://santhagreens.com/plant/pineapple/pineapple-varieties/#

I'm growing West African Sugarloaf, White Jade, Florida Special, Elite Gold, Smooth Cayenne, and several tops from store bought Hawaiian (Dole I think) pineapples.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 03:10:36 PM by LivingParadise »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 03:13:56 PM »
funny, just picked up white jade, fl special, and sugar loaf the other day from an eBay vendor. 2 little plants of each. looking forward to growing these, but am also interested in other good varieties. will be following along

RiversOFT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 03:23:33 PM »
funny, just picked up white jade, fl special, and sugar loaf the other day from an eBay vendor. 2 little plants of each. looking forward to growing these, but am also interested in other good varieties. will be following along
small world that's where I got mine too sounds like the same seller I got 2 of each too
unless someone like you
Cares a whole awful lot
It's not

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 06:10:35 PM »
The new curator has stated that he is rolling this back & will not be sending out plant material to individuals anymore, unless you can demonstrate you have a good reason (researcher, not hobbyist).  So, don't be disappointed if Peter turns you down.

John

https://www.ars.usda.gov/pacific-west-area/hilo-hi/daniel-k-inouye-us-pacific-basin-agricultural-research-center/tropical-plant-genetic-resources-and-disease-research/docs/pineapple-collection/

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 08:42:43 PM »
Do you think we could get Oscar to distribute more of this red pineapple beauty!  I'd really like to try growing this one!
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2050.msg37416#msg37416

and then there is his famous pineapple fruit cocktail plant!
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2050.msg35707#msg35707
Bob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 08:45:15 PM »
He might be more inclined to share if you offer something interesting.

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 09:05:16 PM »
Oscar's "fruit cocktail pineapple" was just a joke.  He put a couple different pineapples on one plant for the picture.

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 07:37:04 AM »
He might be more inclined to share if you offer something interesting.
Looking at what Oscar grows, I don't think I would have anything of value to trade with him.  Good idea though.
Bob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 08:49:16 AM »
yeah, he has an amazing pineapple collection that would be difficult to add to. Maybe something else, nobody has everything they want, for long at least. A guy at the usda research center told me that they appreciate when requesters share different genetic material with them.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 10:57:43 AM »
Check out this bad boy. I took this picture yesterday. It is Ananas comosus var bracteatus as far as I can tell. My friend got it as a Spanish Red.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 11:33:56 AM by Vernmented »
-Josh

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 05:50:07 PM »
I am currently planting side shoots of the red pineapple, so hopefully next year i will have enough to sell to any forum member interested. It's really a great looking and tasting pineapple. I just wish i could get a cultivar name for it?
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 05:53:51 PM »
Check out this bad boy. I took this picture yesterday. It is Ananas comosus var bracteatus as far as I can tell. My friend got it as a Spanish Red.

I have that one and also a variegated version of same thing. Correct name is Ananas bracteatus. It is a different species. Bad news is it's not really edible. Just ornamental.
Oscar

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 06:02:36 PM »
PM sent.  I'm excited!

Bill

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 08:02:49 PM »
I am currently planting side shoots of the red pineapple, so hopefully next year i will have enough to sell to any forum member interested. It's really a great looking and tasting pineapple. I just wish i could get a cultivar name for it?
That is awesome Oscar!  Good news, so I'll check back with you next year and see how the red pineapples are doing.  I'd really like to try those in San Diego and see how they will grow.
Bob

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2017, 08:23:38 PM »
Boy, those tissue cultures grow REALLY slowly. I have a White Jade, Elite Gold and Florida special in ground going on 2 years and they have barely doubled in size from the 5-6" when I got them while store bought tops put in the ground within a few months of these have grown like weeds and are producing fruit already.

For So. Fla folks, Excalibur IIRC had some ornamental types the last time I was there, sadly about two years ago.

Regards,

Gary

jelmore

• San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2017, 10:41:51 PM »
Hello,

I picked up this unusual pineapple at a farmers market in Miami last summer. Does anyone  know what variety it might be? The seller only had a couple that day and never had them again. It was really tasty with a soft core. I was able to grow a plant from the crown too.

Thanks!

-J

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 12:02:54 AM by jelmore »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 12:20:22 AM »
That is awesome Oscar!  Good news, so I'll check back with you next year and see how the red pineapples are doing.  I'd really like to try those in San Diego and see how they will grow.
Hoping to have enough for all interested forum members by summer 2018.
Oscar

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2017, 01:56:40 PM »
Here's one of the red pineapples from you Oscar. :)

The one in front in this picture I bought from eBay and it was cold Hawaiian Red. I'm not sure if it the same as your Red.

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 02:57:54 PM »

Not sure what type it is you can goto the website I'm listing below and look at each photo and see what you can some up with let us know

https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/view2.aspx?dv=web_site_taxon_accessionlist&params=:taxonomyid=463336;:siteid=6

Sorry this was meant for jelmore post
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:21:00 AM by Evildeadguy »
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

vstol

• 7b/8a border
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2017, 08:59:34 PM »

Would love to order a couple as well! I'll save myself a memo to reach out to you around then :)

Paulish

• US, CA, San Diego, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 12:11:12 PM »
I am currently planting side shoots of the red pineapple, so hopefully next year i will have enough to sell to any forum member interested.

Awesome, sign me up for as many as possible. Is the flesh red as well?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk