Author Topic: where to plant ackee?  (Read 3168 times)

TravelingFriend

• North America, SE states, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Zone 9a - 10a
    • View Profile
where to plant ackee?
« on: May 06, 2017, 03:12:20 PM »
Looks like growing season on the tips of our young ackee that is in the front yard. I have 3 more sick in a single container, who I would really like I plant. House is facing morning sun with the existing ackee on the SE corner to be a nice shade tree, climbing, bees, the front yard is basically of limits. Unless it can be squeezed in small spaces, and cut often, unless there is an exception from the boss ;) the whole south side is screened shade tropical, from E to W chaya, banana, mulberry, turks cap, chaya, banana, muntingia, papaya, cannas, bananas, aibika, elder, custard apple, katuk, banana, banana, chaya, Texas ebony, chaya, avocado, and that's all staggered from property line to southern house wall. Backyard is zoned for traditional food foresting with an annual and perennial layer, shrubby layers, and trees from the center north0.
Room for improvement. We have power lines along the back fence also.
I am typing too much. And this tablet is not as fast as me so well go from here.

Thanks!

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
Re: where to plant ackee?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 05:21:15 PM »
I like saltfish with my Ackee
Joe

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 09:19:16 PM »
I like ackee fresh picked and raw.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 06:56:56 PM »
I used to have access to an ackee tree. I definitely liked them and picked them. Very cool peasant food. My take is you have a large one or not at all. 15ft x 15ft minimum to get enough ackee to make it worthwhile

TravelingFriend

• North America, SE states, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Zone 9a - 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 12:46:43 PM »

I have been told this is poisonous, unless cooked? is there more information you can provide, is there certain varieties, or ways to discern toxicity?

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 02:43:14 PM »

I have been told this is poisonous, unless cooked? is there more information you can provide, is there certain varieties, or ways to discern toxicity?

I've eaten ackee both cooked and raw, and never had any issues.  But the fruit does need to be open before harvesting, and only the arils are edible, as far as I know.  I don't know if the seed is toxic (probably is), but the pinkish membrane inside and between the arils is said to be so it needs to be cleaned out. 

There are multitudes of ackee trees in my neighborhood and they grow like weeds from seed.  I have a few seedlings.  If anyone wants one, just PM me.   

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 08:44:38 PM »

I've eaten ackee both cooked and raw, and never had any issues.  But the fruit does need to be open before harvesting, and only the arils are edible, as far as I know.  I don't know if the seed is toxic (probably is), but the pinkish membrane inside and between the arils is said to be so it needs to be cleaned out. 

There are multitudes of ackee trees in my neighborhood and they grow like weeds from seed.  I have a few seedlings.  If anyone wants one, just PM me.   
Yes the seeds are poisonous. Especially dangerous is accidentally swallowing immature and not fully developed seeds. Yes the pink membrane should also be removed. Only the yellow aril (pulp surrounding seed) is edible. It can be eaten raw or cooked. But fruit must pop open on the the tree by itself before it can be eaten. It is light that deactivates the toxins, not cooking.
Oscar

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 09:01:29 PM »
Yes the seeds are poisonous. Especially dangerous is accidentally swallowing immature and not fully developed seeds. Yes the pink membrane should also be removed. Only the yellow aril (pulp surrounding seed) is edible. It can be eaten raw or cooked. But fruit must pop open on the the tree by itself before it can be eaten. It is light that deactivates the toxins, not cooking.

Great info! I'm planting some Ackee. Knowing this will help avoid #$@%$ stuff.