Author Topic: Pics from the garden  (Read 35383 times)

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Pics from the garden
« Reply #150 on: December 10, 2020, 02:14:27 PM »
Thanks Eddie! I buy a tree or plant every time wife and I get into an argument. Started off with just a Chia Pet a few years ago, now look at us.

Purple mangosteen still looking good after 3 nights in the 40's. Got as low as 45F last night. Weird, seems like it was recorded as being warmer north of here. Would think my area would be warmer rather than colder. Actually about 15 miles south of downtown Miami.

Every time you update pictures of your mangosteen I get hopeful that I can recover mine. Is yours growing in total shade with no direct sunlight?

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #151 on: December 10, 2020, 02:29:09 PM »
Looks good! I enjoy seeing the progress of this experiment.

Broward seems to stay a little warmer than your area for some reason.  Usually 40s seem to be ok for mangosteen. I did have a 5 ft mangosteen in a pot die during winter when small 3 gals were untouched. Maybe it was unrelated to weather.  If the forecast is for 40 or below, I will bring in my mangosteen and button mangosteen. This is a back-breaking exercise as some are in 20 gal pots.

Are you planning to protect the tree if it gets into the 30s or are you going to test the limits?
Brandon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 10, 2020, 04:31:55 PM »
Thanks Eddie! I buy a tree or plant every time wife and I get into an argument. Started off with just a Chia Pet a few years ago, now look at us.

Purple mangosteen still looking good after 3 nights in the 40's. Got as low as 45F last night. Weird, seems like it was recorded as being warmer north of here. Would think my area would be warmer rather than colder. Actually about 15 miles south of downtown Miami.

Every time you update pictures of your mangosteen I get hopeful that I can recover mine. Is yours growing in total shade with no direct sunlight?

Glad I can share some hope!

It gets direct sunlight, but is also protected by some trees around it. Nothing too tall or thick though, so gets several hours direct and a bit filtered as well. The surrounding trees help subdue the wind, and probably keep it a bit more humid.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 10, 2020, 04:35:23 PM »
Looks good! I enjoy seeing the progress of this experiment.

Broward seems to stay a little warmer than your area for some reason.  Usually 40s seem to be ok for mangosteen. I did have a 5 ft mangosteen in a pot die during winter when small 3 gals were untouched. Maybe it was unrelated to weather.  If the forecast is for 40 or below, I will bring in my mangosteen and button mangosteen. This is a back-breaking exercise as some are in 20 gal pots.

Are you planning to protect the tree if it gets into the 30s or are you going to test the limits?

Thanks Brandon! It's more fun now that the tree is getting bigger and established.

I believe it has experienced a low of about 38F, but some of the leaves were burnt as a result.

When it gets to 40F or below, I put a sprinkler on it overnight.

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2020, 06:48:41 PM »
Rob,
I am curious about that pineapple annona.. Did you buy it grafted or was it a seedling? Is it worth growing in your opinion?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2020, 07:55:55 PM »
Rob,
I am curious about that pineapple annona.. Did you buy it grafted or was it a seedling? Is it worth growing in your opinion?

I don't know if it's worth growing.

It fruited only once for me, and got to the fruit too late. Smelled and looked good. Was tempted to fight the ants for a nibble, but wimped out.

Growing in a large rootsaver pot. It grew roots through the bottom grid, and is securely attached to the ground. Not ideal, and I have not added dirt, fertilized, or watered much. It is certainly tough and easy to grow, seems hard to kill in fact.

I'm going to add some dirt around it and fertilize and see if can get some fruit going soon.

Too curious to get rid of it yet, but could not recommend choosing this over a proven cultivar unless you are really into annonas and would be willing to use for rootstock if it is not to your liking.

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2020, 08:29:06 AM »

Glad I can share some hope!

It gets direct sunlight, but is also protected by some trees around it. Nothing too tall or thick though, so gets several hours direct and a bit filtered as well. The surrounding trees help subdue the wind, and probably keep it a bit more humid.

Thanks! Mine has no other plants around it so I protected it with an enclosure, which increased the humidity, and it seems to be a little happier.

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 31, 2020, 06:36:35 PM »
hopefully one day the purple mangosteen would fruit! that would make history as bill whitmans only produced one fruit...
keep taking care of it and others! ;D  :D
Cheers!

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #158 on: December 31, 2020, 10:43:53 PM »
Incorrect. As of 1992, Bill Whitman had two mangosteen trees that were fruiting.
Quote from: Tropical Bay Area
link=topic=24743.msg414457#msg414457 date=1609457795
hopefully one day the purple mangosteen would fruit! that would make history as bill whitmans only produced one fruit...
keep taking care of it and others! ;D  :D
Brandon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 01, 2021, 10:17:40 AM »
The mangosteen trees at Fairchild were holding dozens of fruit, a couple of years ago. Heard they are no longer there.

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 01, 2021, 04:18:51 PM »
Well, you learn something new everyday :)
I’m definitely far away from being a pomologist, but until then, I’ll continue to study pomology
Cheers!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 20, 2021, 10:49:52 PM »
sweetheart nanners

1st flower seedling jak. Is this female?

lone rollinia fruit. expect it to be tasty

sugarloaf

pigeon pea

jujubes are nice when just right. lightly sweet, crisp, refreshing.

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #162 on: January 21, 2021, 12:08:25 AM »
That's a dude.

Brandon

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 21, 2021, 05:25:22 PM »
Quote from: roblack link=topic=24743.msg415751#msg415751 date=
[url=https://postimg.cc/phnxSD3f
[/url]

Males are usually on the tip of branches like most flowers
Females are usually on a trunk or large branches
Cheers!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2021, 09:46:23 PM »
Thanks Brandon and TBA.

Excited to get any flowers, not very old. 3 years or so, from seed.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2021, 12:08:56 PM »
Awesome updates Roblack! Your garden is thriving and looks like your reaping the rewards of your hard work. Please keep us updated.

Simon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2021, 01:43:17 PM »
Thank you Simon. Pics look a bit better than the overall scene right now. Got some trimming and greening up to do, it's been dry lately.

What I've seen of your orchard is amazing. Your posts and advice, along with several other forum members, has helped a lot. Can only imagine how things would be if was just figuring this stuff out on my own.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2021, 01:47:56 PM »
SW sap

Annona Salzmannii

Nelita. E. Involucrata. That's just one little bushy bugger

Butterscotch Sap

Caimito coming on

Meiwa Kumquat

Plugged some oak logs, but didn't add reishi. Yet, here they are.

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2021, 02:31:58 PM »
SW sap

Annona Salzmannii

Nice seedling! ;)
Cheers!

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2021, 07:27:23 PM »
Great thread, roblack! How tall is the Jackfruit seedling? Was the seed from a particular variety? Thanks!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 22, 2021, 09:43:30 PM »
Thank you TBA and Flip.

The jak seed was from a local farmers market, LNB Grovestand are the sellers and perhaps the growers. I recall the fruit being crunchy and in b/w yellow and orange in color. Had some latex, not sure what is normal as I don't know jack about jakfruit. Recall it being delicious with the Juicy Fruit gum flavor.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 23, 2021, 06:22:53 AM »
Thanks, roblack, I myself don't always know what variety of fruit I'm eating, but certainly know what I like, ha! What's its growth habit been like? How tall is it? Thanks!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 23, 2021, 07:58:29 AM »
The tree is about 10 feet +, pretty upright in its habit. Not too bushy.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 23, 2021, 08:14:30 AM »
The tree is about 10 feet +, pretty upright in its habit. Not too bushy.

Normal seedling growth habit.   You may want to top it.

As to variety,  if YOU like it, that is most important.  Based on where the fruit came from, its a good chance it was a random seedling. The "juicyfruit" flavor is just a classic jackfruit flavor.  Better selections will be more complex and/or with a different profile and no latex.
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 23, 2021, 01:11:28 PM »
Much appreciated Rob. At what height would you top?

Thinking between 7 and 8 feet, and trimming side branches, leaving a collar. Not sure if that's a good idea.

Have tried grafting other varieties onto it, with no luck. Going to try again.

My oldest daughter loved the taste, and agree with her. I recall it having complexity beyond Juicy Fruit, but noticed that for sure.

Roasted some seeds too. They were delicious. I'm skilled at over-seasoning stuff, so not sure how good they are plain. Roasted garlic to potato texture, with a nuttiness that made me want to prepare them again. Such a cool fruit.

Can't say how much variety they have in jaks, but the market vendors make a mean jakfruit smoothie, often mixed in multi levels with kale, sapodilla, sorrel, and other stuff. Miss those rainbow and Jamaican flag smoothies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk