Author Topic: Pics from the garden  (Read 34807 times)

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Pics from the garden
« Reply #200 on: March 26, 2021, 11:29:19 AM »
Nice collection! How many seashore mangosteen do you have? Wouldn't you need separate trees?

where did you get the seashore mangosteen from? i would like to add one to my collection

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 26, 2021, 04:11:25 PM »
TreesNMore (Mike) hooked me up with seashore (g. hombroniana) and several others. He rocks!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 14, 2021, 02:37:50 PM »
Excited to share this pic:

After 3 - 4 years +, I can't recall for sure, passiflora laurifolia has finally set fruit. I only have one mature plant.

Just started 11 seedlings to pollinate, but they are all under 12 inches.

Must have been the pollen from p. nitida that I tried again to hand pollinate (had failed several times). Will try again to see if they are truly compatible. Either way, cannot wait to try this fruit!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 15, 2021, 09:41:49 AM »
I would not advise you to eat these mushrooms because it is better not to eat them than to take and die from the poison contained in them. Just recently, when we were resting at the dacha, namely, installing protection against leaves on the pool by type click here, we saw a small cluster of mushrooms. My brother seems to understand mushrooms and said that they are edible, but because I really like to throw a tantrum, I did not allow them to eat, and how a week later we found out that they were poisonous mushrooms that are very similar to ordinary ones. Therefore, even if you are 100% sure that they are edible, do not eat them in any case. Suddenly you made a mistake and it may cost you your life.

I used to eat wild mushrooms that looked OK to me. That were white with no red dangerous warnings. That looked like supermarket mushrooms. I was helping out in an extensive vegetable garden about 1989. I saw some very innocent looking mushrooms so ate a few.

After 5 hours I was vomiting and shitting out as much as possible. So what mushrooms I had eaten were semi-poisonous I guess. These mushrooms put me on a mild and enjoyable trip/ Right after the puking.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 15, 2021, 01:36:20 PM »
These reishi mushrooms were fine. Made tea of them, and dried some. Did a bit of research, but would've been even better to do a spore print and reference. Started with a sip of mild tea. Felt fine. Drank a little more, felt finer. Didn't get too crazy though. I'm convinced these are a lighter colored reishi. In the neighborhood, have seen some growing high up in a tree that has a large dead branch.

I agree, it is risky eating wild mushrooms. Sux to be wrong.

Let's go foraging Zands! There's gotta be better pickings out there

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 18, 2021, 10:21:17 AM »
Happy to report passiflora nitida is finally fruiting as well. Both vines have been growing for years, hand pollinated, with no fruit. Only 1 plant of each. Seems they are compatible, or something else is finally pollinating them.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 22, 2021, 02:14:03 PM »
Now I'm not sure about "passiflora nitida"

Anyone with any insight and help identifying these, please share your thoughts...

These 2 pics are of the same flower, which was sold to me as passiflora nitida about 5 years ago.

These 2 pics are of the same flower from a passiflora laurifolia plant that I grew from seeds.

I am starting to think neither of these plants is p. nitida, and perhaps they both are p. laurifolia. There are some differences between the flowers and foliage, but still think its the same thing. Pics of p. nitida flowers show it with wavy filaments, which neither of my plant's flowers appear to exhibit.
Both the plant and the seeds were obtained around the same time, from Top Tropicals.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 24, 2021, 12:44:39 PM »
Is anyone growing p.laurifolia and/or p. nitida?

Rollinia tree is going off. Lots of fruits. No longer hand pollinating, happening naturally.

Purple caimitos

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 06, 2021, 11:47:29 AM »
Lemon drop is producing well, despite being in almost complete shade.

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 07, 2021, 10:48:39 AM »
Looking good! How old/tall is your rollinia?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 07, 2021, 08:38:36 PM »
Thanks TGT!

Rollinia tree was planted January 2016, and was a nice sized 5+ gallon tree at the time.

I've had to majorly top it, and needs another cutting now. About 9 - 10 feet now, with some taller stalks shooting up here and there. Nice umbrella like canopy has developed. Shady and fruity up underneath.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 06, 2021, 12:39:10 PM »
Now I know why they call it "Butterscotch"

« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 03:39:28 PM by roblack »

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 07, 2021, 01:18:49 AM »
Looks like buttercrotch.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 07, 2021, 02:26:23 PM »
Good one Seanny!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 16, 2021, 08:45:32 AM »
Sad to report, lost Buttercrotch; fruit only.

Found this Oro Negro lying on the ground the other day. 1st fruit that has made it this far. Squirrels hammer the fruits when immature. Covered this one with an organza bag, and somehow they left it alone.

<br />

Does this fruit look properly ripened?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 16, 2021, 09:36:03 AM »
Some updated pics:

Annona Salzmanii

Sichuan Pepper

Lakoocha

Kwai Muk

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 16, 2021, 03:39:20 PM »
Is your yangmai still alive rob?  Mine started to do its first flush in the ground.  It has not grown much at all but its starting to. Then we got a fire wind yesterday that probably cooked the new flush. 
Brad Spaugh

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 16, 2021, 04:41:32 PM »
Hey Brad. How's it going in the Oasis?

Sad to share that I lost one of the Biqi. Had repotted meticulously into a rootsaver pot, and when I went to pick it up, the bottom fell out. Carefully put it all back together, and everything seemed okay for a few weeks. Then it died. Not sure what else could've happened.

Here is one of the other Biqi, in a rootsaver pot.

And here is the Biqi planted in ground, couple of months now or so.

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 16, 2021, 08:50:32 PM »
You guys are still way ahead in nursing the yangmei along!

Is the Sichuan pepper the one with tongue numbing berries? Nice plant, if so how long does it take to produce?  Mapo Tofu time!

Some updated pics:
[Deleted]
Sichuan Pepper

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 17, 2021, 10:13:52 AM »
Hey Slopat.

Yes, Sichuan pepper is numbing, and does not really have much heat to it, maybe a little. I eat a sichuan chili sauce that is really good. Would love to experiment with it more.

I have 2 varieties. Will have to look up their scientific names. The one pictured grew through the pot and into the ground. Going to cut the pot away and build up a mound around the root ball and leave it be.

I'm not sure about flowers and fruits. Yet to see any. This is not scientific, but looks to me like its going to do something soon.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 17, 2021, 10:21:40 AM »
Found some more info:

I have Hua Jiao Shu sichuan pepper and Zanthoxylum Simulans. Z. Simulans is the one pictured is bigger than the other. Think they are different species.

One of the sellers said they can fruit within 2 to 3 years. Received both of these 2 years ago, November.   

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 30, 2022, 01:12:06 PM »
Check out this passiflora laurifolia vine growing on pongam tree. Was sold me to as p. nitida about 6 years ago, but is obviously laurifolia (flowers and fruits confirmed). The tree is 40 feet tall, and the vine grows all over it. Unfortunately, iguanas roost high up in the tree, and consume the flowers. I only get fruits from another vine.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 16, 2024, 05:51:01 PM »
Are these baby jak fruit? Nothing but male flowers for the last year or 2, but I see collars. Is that actually a reliable indicator of female flowers? 
Fruit 1?

Fruit 2?
Bad pic, but can see a collar on this one too.

Tree was seed grown from Farmers Market fruit that was crunchy and sweet, at least 5 years old, or more.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #223 on: February 16, 2024, 06:37:58 PM »
Pic 1 might be a fruit. The texture is correct with the tiny raised bumps. The little light colored bits protruding from the green bumps are the stigma. Males are smoother. The overall shape is usually fatter at the collar. 

Pic 2 is too blurry to tell.

Sometimes flowers are both male and female but I have never seen these mature into anything edible. Once, I found a flower nearly half and half, female by the stem. I attempted a reassignment surgery, removing the male half, but the flower still rotted like the males do.
Brandon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 16, 2024, 07:05:23 PM »
Thx Brandon, you have doubled my hope! =)

Will take better pics tomorrow.