Author Topic: Strawberry Papaya - Not Flowering  (Read 2204 times)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Strawberry Papaya - Not Flowering
« on: August 28, 2017, 04:09:29 PM »
I planted few fresh seeds of strawberry papaya about 3 years ago and two survived and are about 5 feet tall now. Wondering why they have not flowered at all. I heard that these flower and fruit within first 12 months based on conditions.

I have them planted on South-West wall planter where it remains warm and in summer heat from stucco reflects on these plants. They get watered twice a week, deep watering.

Any idea what might be wrong?

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
Re: Strawberry Papaya - Not Flowering
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 12:58:04 AM »
Are you sure it is not a male plant?  If it is a male plant cut the tree and it will grow female.  Otherwise use a 10-52-10 fertilizer and it will flower.  My flowers like crazy and I live in San Diego about 5 miles from the coast.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 10:13:30 AM »
how can I tell if its male or female without it flowering first. Its yet to flower. Do male plants not flower at all?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 10:50:34 AM »
how can I tell if its male or female without it flowering first. Its yet to flower. Do male plants not flower at all?

Consider the sourxmce of the response.  Yes, a male papaya flowers but is a male flower.  I believe a male tree, under certain weather conditions can produce a "perfect" or hermie flower.
- Rob

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 11:11:06 AM »
Not tall enough, just yet.  Wait till they're around six feet tall or so

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 11:54:02 AM »
Behl,  stop the chain saw DOOOOO not cut it down it WILL NOT CHANGE SEX try moving the pot to where you do not get so much reflected heat from your house  you can move it back around nov. when the nights cool of they do not seem to enjoy the hot reflected heat so much especially when in a pot , also the height of the tree has nothing to do with flowering      Patrink

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 12:23:30 PM »
Thanks Buddy,

I always thought papayas love heat, I will try to transplant them in winter time around Nov.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 12:37:59 AM »
Behl, i somehow thought your papaya was in a POT so it would be easy to move"sorry "  they do not like to be transplanted any damage to the roots will  most likely kill them  perhaps you can hang a piece of shade cloth behind it to cut down on the reflected  heat , they also like quite a bit of humidity,  you might try cutting back on your water if you can trying to keep your soil just barely moist rather than moist ,  hope this is of some help.          Patrick

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 01:55:47 AM »
Is there no papaya eunuch?  I swear if u cut it off it is no longer a male.  Well at least that was what a farmer told me.  No joke intended. 

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 03:13:14 PM »
I planted few fresh seeds of strawberry papaya about 3 years ago and two survived and are about 5 feet tall now. Wondering why they have not flowered at all. I heard that these flower and fruit within first 12 months based on conditions.

I have them planted on South-West wall planter where it remains warm and in summer heat from stucco reflects on these plants. They get watered twice a week, deep watering.

Any idea what might be wrong?
I don't know about a cultivar "strawberry papaya". Can you be more specific?

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 03:45:05 PM »
Oscar specified strawberry papaya is aka sunrise papaya

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 06:52:53 AM »
Oscar specified strawberry papaya is aka sunrise papaya

I didn't know about this name. It has nothing to do with strawberry, no taste at all!
Your plant should make flowers as soon as 5 months. This is a hermaphrodite.
If it didn't make the main reason I suspect is a small pot. The second would be little direct light and temperature less than 20C during the night.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 07:00:24 AM »
Thanks Buddy,

I always thought papayas love heat, I will try to transplant them in winter time around Nov.

Yes you are right they love the heat. Transplanting them when it's cold outside is a very bad idea.
The best transplanting time is this: hot summer and look for rainy days, few hour before an expected rain, transplant it. The science behind this is complicated, it has to do with high humidity and low pressure, which triggers the plant to form new roots. Also don't scratch the roots. They contain symbiotic microorganisms which will kill the plant if the root is wounded.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk