Author Topic: Looking for Finger Limes.. or at least some INFO about the unique citrus  (Read 2380 times)

Bartacomus

• SE Texas, zone 9a, close to the coast. acidic clays, hot.. both dry and humid, rare freezes
    • View Profile
Subject says it all.

Finger Limes.. the same image we see over and over.. elongated limes with disconnected vesicles. Like a hollow Citrus Shell full of Tart Beads.

Whats the skinny?  Where are they?  How do you grow them?  Do you have any?

Thanks guys. 
Bart

Mando408

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
I don't know much about them but I'd assume they aren't too different from other citrus. I always see them at my local nursery and even at the big box stores every now and then. I've been looking for the red finger limes, hopefully the ccpp gets some budwood in the near future.

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
Whats the skinny?  I don' understand the question. The skin is thin and prone to damage and Citrus splitting. They split in a very unique way. Like a whipped cream spray can.
Where are they?  garden centers, and Australia
How do you grow them?  Pretty much like a lemon, but avoid hot sun the first years. Is prone to die-back by Phoma
Do you have any? yup, small diamond shaped leaves, fruits like small pickless, pink small flowers, dense foliage and very thorny bush
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 07:39:11 AM by pvaldes »

PDXIan

• USA, Portland, Oregon, 8a
    • View Profile
They are pretty easy to grow, require less fertilizer than most citrus.
They are a fantastic garnish for Oysters, grilled fish, tacos. And great for cocktails. If you squeeze the balls into a bubbly drink like champagne or a beer they float up and down.

Bartacomus

• SE Texas, zone 9a, close to the coast. acidic clays, hot.. both dry and humid, rare freezes
    • View Profile
This is just slang to mean "Whats the information"    Im in Texas, so we have a great environment for Citrus, but ive never seen any in garden centers here

i tend to steer clear from garden centers.. i get a little nauseated everytime i see someone buying trees that dont bear fruit.  i have panic attacks about it lol

Any body know a cheap online retailer? eBAY and ETSY have been taken over by scam artists. with images of purple strawberries, posted 30 times a piece.  i dont trust those.

Whats the skinny?  I don' understand the question. The skin is thin and prone to damage and Citrus splitting. They split in a very unique way. Like a whipped cream spray can.
Where are they?  garden centers, and Australia
How do you grow them?  Pretty much like a lemon, but avoid hot sun the first years. Is prone to die-back by Phoma
Do you have any? yup, small diamond shaped leaves, fruits like small pickless, pink small flowers, dense foliage and very thorny bush

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
Your problem is, you can only buy from certified TX sellers. You can not bring any citrus into your state.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum

Bartacomus

• View Profile
Your problem is, you can only buy from certified TX sellers. You can not bring any citrus into your state.

Its always something aint it?  Thanks for the link!   

BTW,  i have a mysterious sapling in my yard. Shiney green leaves, thorns.. where should i send a picture for identification?

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
General citrus.

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
Anybody have a finger lime tree that they can sell in Florida? Been looking everywhere to no avail.

PDXIan

• USA, Portland, Oregon, 8a
    • View Profile
Harris and Just fruits and exotics in FL both have them.

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
Thank you, I'll have to take a peek!