Author Topic: Anyone have experience growing annona diversifolia from seed?  (Read 1924 times)

Sp0nser

• Anaheim
    • View Profile
I recently bought some seeds from seed pirate and cant seem to germinate them after so much attempts they still wont germinate, any tips?
Thanks!

joeventra1

• Australia, NSW, Green valley
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have experience growing annona diversifolia from seed?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 12:44:45 AM »
I have a few popping up right now.

I treated them with 500ppm of Ga3 acid ( you should be able to source this online) for 10 hours.

from there I placed them in vermiculite and in a bag and by my window which kept them warm. Within about 10 days most starting cracking open and sending a root out. I put them into small pots and outside and now they are breaking the surface of the dirt.

hope that helps.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 01:53:30 AM »
You can also try cracking the seed coat with pliers and place them in moist vermiculite, in a warm place. I had good germination by this method.

PedroAC

• Colector from Azores Islands, Portugal
    • Ponta Delgada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 03:51:05 AM »
With annona seeds the best guarantee is to get them really fresh. Older seeds bigger gamble.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 06:01:46 AM »
I planted 40 seeds in loose potting mix. I did not treat, presoak or crack the seed shell. 2 popped up after 3 months. I dug up the rest to find some rotted and others perfectly fine.
I would follow the above mentioned methods of treating, presoaking or cracking the shell.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 06:19:20 AM »
With annona seeds the best guarantee is to get them really fresh. Older seeds bigger gamble.
This is true.Ive ordered Cherimoya seeds from different sellers from Ebay ,6 times ,until i got one seed sprouting.
Same happened with sugar apples and a few otthers annonaceae like Uvaria grandiflora,etc.
Seed pirates thogh are serious sellers from wich i got all my seeds allready germinated by them ( in plastic bags with stirofoam ). I havent ordered annonaceae from them thogh.

Lately i quit completely to buy any annonaceae seeds and prefer to buy live plants.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 06:20:12 AM »
You can also try cracking the seed coat with pliers and place them in moist vermiculite, in a warm place. I had good germination by this method.

Crack’em and plant’em

PedroAC

• Colector from Azores Islands, Portugal
    • Ponta Delgada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 06:25:50 AM »

Crack’em and plant’em

Tried that many times with marollo, they all roth.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 06:30:30 AM »
Hey,

I bought 10 seeds from seed pirates last fall, they were calling them “intense pink.” I ran my own mini experiment. The seeds came with instructions on how to germinate, evidently with illama they naturally experience a dry dormancy period after fruiting so it is said on the instructions by seed pirates to wait few months before planting so six seeds I kept in ziplock bag on office table at room temp, I have also seen this mentioned by Har before. I have also read the comments of people saying plant fresh seeds so here is what I did. I couldn’t wait to plant some so placed 4 in coco coir on seed tray on vivid sun heating pad (purchased off amazon ~15$) ...these seeds ended up rotting. Then after four months I tried again this time I lightly scarified 3 seeds with a dremel cutting tool to test the “cracking” method. I soaked 3 scarified seeds in peroxide and 3 plain seeds in peroxide. Planted each separately in moist coco coir in ziplock bags placed on heating pad. All 6 germinated BUT the dremel scarified seeds germinated the fastest.

Here is an ex of the precision scarification you can do with a dremel, in the pic a sugar apple seed. I prefer this method to scarify besides sand paper or pliers.

Hope this helps.

Joe

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 12:00:27 PM »
Treat them as your crush:

+ prepare good medium to prevent mold: vermiculite 4-8mm, water regularly with diluted Hydrogen peroxide (google this to get the right mix)
+ sow 1-2cm deep
+ place in a shady and clear place
+ forget about her returning your love, be patient until she calls you back

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 09:00:30 AM »
I put them in the ground or pot with my other plants and 3 to 6 months it will germinate.  They are like guava, the outer shell makes it hard to germinate.  After a year in the ground or pot, i still get germination a year later.   

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 07:06:06 PM »
The best way to send annona seeds is to send them packed in a freezer bag with a little wet paper or better a little heather soil.
Otherwise there is a risk that it will not germinate.

Sp0nser

• Anaheim
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 09:18:25 AM »
I have a few popping up right now.

I treated them with 500ppm of Ga3 acid ( you should be able to source this online) for 10 hours.
from there I placed them in vermiculite and in a bag and by my window which kept them warm. Within about 10 days most starting cracking open and sending a root out. I put them into small pots and outside and now they are breaking the surface of the dirt.

hope that helps.

Doesnt the bag create alot of heat and humidity in the bag, wont that kill it?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk