Author Topic: Guangdong Lychee Varieties  (Read 1128 times)

Kuhyay

• Zone 10a
    • San Diego, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Guangdong Lychee Varieties
« on: December 06, 2020, 11:47:52 AM »
We all know about No Mai Tsze (糯米糍)but has anyone sampled/grown the other popular varieties from Guangdong/Fujian?

• Gui Wei(桂味)- Supposedly has floral osmanthus and cinnamon notes. Superior to No Mai Tsze1
  • Xian Jin Feng (仙进奉) - Almost twice as large as top-tier Guangdong varieties2 with excellent flavor
  • Gua Liu (挂绿)- “Hanging green” Incredibly rare, reported to be the best tasting, some fruit recently sold at auction for $85,000!!3

References:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 02:10:25 PM by Kuhyay »
Kenny

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Guangdong Lychee Varieties
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 03:16:02 PM »
Ok Kwai mai pink is first and they are really common and nothing special. Something is wrong with that second name and it doesn't fit with any and is unlike any genuine types with Xian in their name.The third one is good allegedly by some descriptions, but really fair to good at best, lacking colour and rare, more usually goes by the name Kwa lok and I haven't tried it. It was rejected here as not being good enough in trials.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 03:25:10 PM »
Gua Liu (挂绿) is tribute in the old day.  Only king and members of the family had it.

Kuhyay

• Zone 10a
    • San Diego, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 03:53:05 PM »
@Mike T. Ah, I didn’t know these were the same! I’m surprised to hear that since it seems to be highly regarded in its region of origin. Perhaps the fruit quality changes outside of their native climate.

Regarding 仙进奉, it looks to be a result of a breeding program by the Xiancun Agriculture Office in Zengcheng District, Guangdong Province. I haven’t found any English synonyms for the variety.
Kenny

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 04:11:55 PM »
Kwai mai red is also under the name Gui Wei and they are poorer quality than kwai mai pink. Sober analyses outside China are better I think, where multiple varieties are compared in various climates. People get attached to older varieties as well but can they stand up to the wave of new improved types sweeping the lychee world.

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 11:03:54 PM »
Here’s a YouTube video for all the  lychee fans.  Talks about hanging green, Kwai mai, and some other popular varieties. Turn on the English subtitles. He has three videos. This is part 3

https://youtu.be/C8IGmpKOUaM

« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 11:08:02 PM by fruit4me »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 03:23:44 AM »
I think I know less about lychees after seeing that video than before. They 2 variations spoken about were indeed kwai mai pink and red.

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 11:16:40 AM »
I think I know less about lychees after seeing that video than before. They 2 variations spoken about were indeed kwai mai pink and red.

How are you gonna get hanging green

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 02:27:52 PM »
Gui Wei is pretty good. I ate some in Hong Kong many years ago, I don’t remember much about the flavor profile but I do remember liking it.

Simon

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 06:19:17 PM »
They are he cheapest lychee here fetching the same price as Mauritius. I prefer Mauritius myself as they have a rose water taste quality and richer flavour than KMP generally and are a bit bigger. They are pleasant enough..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk