Author Topic: Garcinia macrophylla looking fruit  (Read 2400 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Garcinia macrophylla looking fruit
« on: February 13, 2021, 08:54:57 PM »

One of the pics from yesterday's thread on some fruit collected got people interested in one of these Garcinias.

It was this one. I can say they are like a big sweet achacha and taste way better than achacha and are not like the brazilian Garcinia macrophylla. This big fruited Ecuadorian is is a great fruit. I will select a big one and show it inside.

A bit over ripe but still tasty. There are 4 segments each with a seed.

To add to the confusion another Ecuadorian Garcinia much like a sweet achacha also seems to be another type of Garccinia macrophylla also. Maybe these two are undescribed as they don't seem to fit with the known Ecuadorian Garcinias.

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
Re: Garcinia macrophylla looking fruit
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 09:51:18 PM »
Looks mouthwatering, is the big G. macrophylla originated from Ecuador or is it developed at the Botanical Ark?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 11:24:47 PM »
This is a wild Ecuadorian fruit that the botanical ark planted a single tree of. I don't know of any other American Garcinia that can exceed 5 inches (actually 14cm  for the biggest),

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 02:03:24 AM »
Cool, thanks Mike, the size is impressive. It gotta be the queen of the fruit someday I believe.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 02:05:21 AM by sytanta »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 02:59:16 AM »
Sytanta Ho Chi Minh city would be the ideal climate for so many of the tropical fruits we look at on here. There are many princesses and mangosteen is not ready to give up the crown as queen I think.

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 03:56:08 AM »
Sytanta Ho Chi Minh city would be the ideal climate for so many of the tropical fruits we look at on here. There are many princesses and mangosteen is not ready to give up the crown as queen I think.

You're right, Ho Chi Minh and its surrounding areas are suitable for many tropical fruits. And yes mangosteen will be the queen for a long time. Other Garcinias are actually unknown here. If they want to take the crown from mangosteen, they must be as highly-qualified as the giant G. macrophylla. That will take tens of year from cultivating to marketing to changing customer habit,...

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 04:03:14 AM »
Mike, that last photo looks to be of Garcinia magnifolia. Did it come from a tree with huge leaves (bigger than G. macrophylla)?
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 04:21:37 AM »
MS great observation and I had dismissed magnfolia as the fruit are not shiny and smooth. I did not see the tree as that bunch of fruit was offered to Steve in hand. I think you may be correct as there is nothing else it could be and I shouldnt just accept the identification of others.

Cop

• Mazatlán,Sinaloa,México
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 07:41:03 AM »
Mike
Mike, consider yourself lucky, if you got the seed sent to you by Rául from México, the fruit you show as a giant macrophyla, it must be Garcinia sp. Rusty, the people who have tested her say she’s the best at garcinias...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 08:26:50 AM »
Cop yes I did get seeds from Raul and have two of those Luc's Mexican Garcinias fruiting in the yard. That is very different and the flesh is softer and it is also good.

Cop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 09:02:42 AM »
Mike
    I think you are confused, remember, Raúl sent you a very special seed, which cannot bear fruit because your plant must be small yet...I have a couple of plants that I received from the same batch of your seed and they are still small, By God, look for that plant that you planted because it’s worth gold...... I send you link...
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=21195.msg259498#msg259498

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 09:07:27 AM »
Mike
    I think you are confused, remember, Raúl sent you a very special seed, which cannot bear fruit because your plant must be small yet...I have a couple of plants that I received from the same batch of your seed and they are still small, By God, look for that plant that you planted because it’s worth gold...... I send you link...
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=21195.msg259498#msg259498

Cop do you mean this Rusty?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 09:17:56 AM »
Of course now I recall that conversation and the Rusty Garcinia. I believe Raul did send seeds of that one but I never received the parcel. I think it was one of the few parcels from Raul that didnt make it through. There are some similarities yes but I don't think they are the same. The tree at the botanical ark must be over 20 years old and is quite big.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 09:55:28 AM »
G. macrophylla, also called pungara. Photo from Jim in Ecuador.

Cop

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 10:59:51 AM »
Syntata, Yes that's it.
Mike, the tree is very big, you should read the whole link, you will check it ... I also want to tell you that 2 months after he sent the seeds, a category 5 cyclone swept the island,  I don't know if that only tree survived.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2021, 11:13:47 AM »
Anyone growing or fruiting G. macrophylla in Florida? Supposedly hardy to 31F.
Brandon

Cop

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2021, 12:05:33 PM »

PuertoRicoFoodForest

• puertoricofoodforest.com
    • Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2021, 12:15:37 PM »
Syntata, Yes that's it.
Mike, the tree is very big, you should read the whole link, you will check it ... I also want to tell you that 2 months after he sent the seeds, a category 5 cyclone swept the island,  I don't know if that only tree survived.
I now own that property the tree was grown on. today I found at least 15 different medium to large sized garcinia trees(not including purple mangosteen), with thousands of seedlings underneath them. only one tree I was able to identify as achachairu since it had 2 fruits. I need to clear around the trees since they are all shaded from weed trees and that should help them start flowering and fruiting again and I can identify them.
puertoricofoodforest.com

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2021, 12:40:28 PM »
I now own that property the tree was grown on. today I found at least 15 different medium to large sized garcinia trees(not including purple mangosteen), with thousands of seedlings underneath them. only one tree I was able to identify as achachairu since it had 2 fruits. I need to clear around the trees since they are all shaded from weed trees and that should help them start flowering and fruiting again and I can identify them.

Nice! Keep us posted pls.

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2021, 12:58:02 PM »
Awesome! I am glad to know that the fruit trees on the property will be maintained. Unfortunately, I did not get to visit the property while Felipe was still with us. I visited the property in July of 2017 with some of the other forum members. We did not venture too far from the house. We did find a garcinia tree that was about 9 ft tall and 6ft wide that had fruits that I assumed was macrophylla or magnifolia. The fruits were not tasty, very sour, so probably not properly ripe.

Syntata, Yes that's it.
Brandon

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2021, 03:33:37 PM »

I posted pix of this Garcinia a few weeks ago which is called G.macrophylla in Brazil and it is not the same as the Ecuadorian one. The Rusty as others have pointed out could be Jim's De Monte just with more of a point. The pictures of the two from the past thread and Jim's site show there are similarities.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2021, 06:01:52 PM »

Yep, they grow well but like a sheltered area to grow up and out of. Big lengthy tree, long leaves. Naples botanical garden had a 30ft fruiting specimen before Irma took it out in 2017. That tree was already 20ft tall and about as wide when it first produced. I have a couple around 15ft and they probably need another year or two until they flower.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2021, 06:03:56 PM »
Syntata, Yes that's it.

So glad someone bought that property and plans to utilize it. Best of luck.

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2021, 10:27:03 PM »
Awesome that you have trees near fruiting! 20 ft until they fruit sounds daunting. I hope to add macrophylla to my collection soon.

Yep, they grow well but like a sheltered area to grow up and out of. Big lengthy tree, long leaves. Naples botanical garden had a 30ft fruiting specimen before Irma took it out in 2017. That tree was already 20ft tall and about as wide when it first produced. I have a couple around 15ft and they probably need another year or two until they flower.
Brandon