Author Topic: Is this coffee plant arabica?  (Read 1455 times)

Vlk

• Czech Republic
    • View Profile
    • exoticke-pestovani.webnode.cz
Is this coffee plant arabica?
« on: May 28, 2021, 06:49:46 AM »
Hi there, it should be arabica, but I just wanted to make sure and double check with you. :)

Durian & avocado lover

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
Re: Is this coffee plant arabica?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 07:15:20 AM »
I have two arabica bushes, one has green new growth and one has an orange-brown-green color. Yours looks identical to the first one. Im still a noob but I would say that is arabica.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 09:23:15 AM »
Leaves look exactly like the ones on my cofee plant, which was bought as an arabica.

Vlk

• Czech Republic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 02:58:57 PM »
Thank you! It is unsual to get robusta plant here, so I am quite certain it should be arabica which is most common one in being grown as an indoor plant. It is my first coffee plant ever and I took it at work where there were couple of small seedlings in one pot (I believe it was some sort of gift from a grocery delivery company), so I am not familiar with how they look and since I have just one plant and robusta apparently needs cross pollination, I just really wanted to make sure. :)
Durian & avocado lover

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 04:50:49 PM »
Coffee arabica nana is a dwarf cultivar for pots, you should try that instead of regular coffee plants

Vlk

• Czech Republic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 05:56:23 PM »
Coffee arabica nana is a dwarf cultivar for pots, you should try that instead of regular coffee plants
That sounds interesting. :) Where is it possible to get such cultivar? And would you agree as well that the seedling on the photo is arabica?
Durian & avocado lover

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 06:09:33 PM »
You can try to find seeds, they don't sprout easily especially if the seeds are old. I have a couple of plants left if you are interested but they are rather small.

eglanchamp

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 09:16:02 AM »
Is it possible to grow it at home? Because no matter how many times I tried, my plants always died. I don't know what exactly I'm doing wrong. How much sunlight and water does it need? That would be interesting to know. I want to grow it so I can make my coffee in the future. Especially since I have now bought a coffee machine with a grinder from , now I can enjoy coffee from the beans every day. That wasn't easy before I got one because I wouldn't say I like regular instant coffee. It has absolutely no taste of coffee, and it just makes me want to sleep even more.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 08:42:15 AM by JakeFruit »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 11:16:19 AM »
Is it possible to grow it at home? Because no matter how many times I tried, my plants always died. I don't know what exactly I'm doing wrong. How much sunlight and water does it need?

They probably need high humidity.  If you are in Canada I assume you are bringing them indoors in winter, and indoors is too dry for some tropicals.  Maybe a tray of pebbles & water underneath.  I have my tropicals in a greenhouse in winter where it stays very humid.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 02:44:03 PM »
Is it possible to grow it at home? Because no matter how many times I tried, my plants always died. I don't know what exactly I'm doing wrong. How much sunlight and water does it need?

They probably need high humidity.  If you are in Canada I assume you are bringing them indoors in winter, and indoors is too dry for some tropicals.  Maybe a tray of pebbles & water underneath.  I have my tropicals in a greenhouse in winter where it stays very humid.
i kept mine last winter near a south facing window, but it was hidden from the direct sunlight since it was at the edje of it, the light was blocked also by big cherimoyas and drafon fruit and what not. Basically it was at a darkish place but did great, it had a temperature change crush at one time and the leaves got all sorta willted and i thought it was a goner, yet it survived. I have seen one office coffee plant,and i was shoked at the sight, it was full of berries, ripe and green ones .
With all that i am trying to say that coffee seems to be an forgiving plant for growing indoors.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 02:49:12 PM by Plantinyum »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk