Author Topic: Andreas Gia Memorial Update - Donation Link Live  (Read 5500 times)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Member Andreas Gia was in the Building Collapse in Miami
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2021, 09:12:12 PM »
What an unspeakable tragedy.
I only wish I’d gotten to know him. I had no idea he was a Vanderbilt student and thus very nearby.
I made the same pilgrimage to south Florida fruit destinations but so heartbreaking that his ended like this.
My heart goes out to his friends and family.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Forum Member Andreas Gia was in the Building Collapse in Miami
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2021, 09:48:31 PM »
 :'( :'( :'(
Oscar

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Member Andreas Gia ... Collapse in Miami - Memorial Garden Update
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2021, 05:28:39 PM »
I apologize for the length of time it has taken to get this together but between a busy life and the strange nature of the request setting things up for the memorial for Andreas has moved unfortunately slow-

With that out of the way I finally have some information about the forms that this can take-

First of all they are willing to accept donation of plants to the garden in Andreas memory, I do not have specific numbers yet on how many they would be willing to receive but so far they have agreed to accept the following from me
  • Inga spp. - Ice cream Bean
  • Psidium longipetiolatum - Mountain Guava
  • Dimocarpus Longan "White" - Longan

If you want to donate plant material in Andreas honor we are asking that you please consider the following

• Please select a plant that can survive in the Houston climate - close zone pushers are okay but nothing tropical or ultratropical
  • Please donate a plant that is at or close to a stage where it can be planted out in the ground, sprouted seeds cannot be accomodated
  • The rarer the better- this doesnt mean common plants wont be considered but something that stands out would be nice

The two lead horticulturalists there Francisco Javier de la Mota Daniel and Brent Moon will make the ultimate decision about what is allowed into the garden based on several factors including space and maintenance so please do not be offended if they cannot plant out your specimen

Second- There are a couple levels of monetary donation that will allow the garden to purchase items in memorial of Andreas which I am outlining below (the italics are directly from the garden)

Culinary garden plantings (see attached pdf for location in the garden): the areas in this garden that are currently more bare {from winter storm Uri} are European and Mediterranean. Here, there is a rotation of several crops. Coming up this fall, we would like to have the plants added below:

1. European bed

Upper tier: snap peas / pole beans (winter / spring) and different lettuce varieties.

Lower tier: docks (Rumex), tarragon, bunching onions and different types of cabbage.

2. Mediterranean bed

Rows of different Brassica types: broccoli, cauliflower and romanesco. Also several cabbage types.

3. Bigger Mediterranean bed

Upper tier: 6 varieties of kale.

Lower tier: garlic, onions, mustard greens and cilantro.

As we discussed previously, the separate Gardens take anywhere from $500 to $5,000 to add or replenish the plants that the horticulture team needs for each designed Garden collection.

Basically a donation anywhere in the $500-$5,000 dollar range will allow for the planting of the donated trees from us and restoration of any/all of the edible beds above that provide education for children's groups and food for those who attend the park.

If we somehow manage to raise $8,300 they can plant a close to mature date palm in the garden that will produce fruit for decades, but this is obviously a very high bar-

Finally there is a  The Medjool date palm (Phoenix dactylifera ‘Medjool’) with a 12’ clear trunk is $5,800. Delivery and planting is about $2,500, including the removal of the stump and rootball of the dead palm currently in the Culinary Garden. This would be both a fruit “tree” and a somewhat permanent feature of the garden (probably many decades, but it is a living organism, and life is never guaranteed).

Finally- for any locals who donate we will have a memorial event at some point down the road at the garden with Andreas' family- the details of this are also nowhere near finalized but more info should develop shortly.

I am working on getting a direct donation link for this cause at the hbg so that we can track exactly how much has been donated but if anyone absolutely cannot wait they have a generic donation link that can be found here https://secure.hbg.org/donate/q/annual/ and please send and email to info@hbg.org stating that it is for Andreas or a pm to me this is to avoid giving a percent to some intermediate like GoFundMe

I think I may be able to cover the baseline $500 for planting our trees and doing one bed but it would be something really special if we could get to the 5k mark or even buy that date palm!

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
Re: Andreas Gia in the Collapse in Miami - Memorial Update
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2021, 07:13:03 AM »
Let me know when the direct link is working. I'll certainly help with this. Andreas was on track to having a prosperous, fulfilling life. What a loss for all of us. D

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: Andreas Gia in the Collapse in Miami - Memorial Update
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2021, 10:23:40 AM »
Good Morning All!

The Donation Website is Live!

Please see below

https://app.mobilecause.com/vf/give4andreas/DanielZamler

There are several ways you can donate including texting give4andreas to 71777

I am working on getting some more pictures to upload to the site and it only has a video for the garden right now but I included a link with information on Andreas and will get us started off with some donations!

Thank you so much to anyone who contributes thoughts, plant material, or monetarily

Cheers,
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 06:20:36 PM by elouicious »

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
Re: Andreas Gia Memorial Update - Donation Link Live
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2021, 07:09:58 AM »
Any news on the tribute garden?

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2021, 10:34:59 AM »
Thank you so much for the donation Dan!

please find some pictures just sent from the garden with pictures of the prospective tribute garden and where to plant the trees,

Here is the culinary garden and welcome pavillion

Here is the (currently a bit rough looking) mediterranean bed

Here are the spots for various trees to be planted

Furthermore I will be hopefully launching a plant auction this weekend to clean out my greenhouse of extra incredibly rare plants- There will also be some plants donated directly by the family from Andreas collection-

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2021, 07:36:45 AM »
How will the auction work? I assume online? I'd like to participate. D

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2021, 12:27:08 PM »
Auction will start this week hopefully-

Some plants will be straight for sale and some will be for auction- the auctions will be run through EBay and sales will be run through here-

A few species to be on the lookout for that will be for sale-

Artocarpus integer - Sri gading Chempadek
Artocarpus lacucha
Artocarpus odotorissimatus
Artocarpus dadah
Artocarpus sericicarpus
Eugenia biflora (small leaf)
Garcinia kola
Lansium spp. "Paete"
Lansium spp. "Longkong"
Mondia whitei
Plinia spp. "Sabara"
Plinia spp. "Grimal"
Plinia spp. "Red"
Plinia aureana
Randia Formosa
Saba senegalense
Virola surinamensis

and many many more-

Unfortunately my weekend was spent ripping up tile rather than dedicating time to potting out plants

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2021, 02:43:40 PM »
Happy to say we broke the $500 mark today!

Thank you to all the people who have donated thus far-

This weekend will launch the plant sale/auction to raise funds as well so please keep an eye out

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2021, 03:07:28 PM »
Did you receive my PM from last week about the Psidium striatulum? I have not received a response and want to make sure the PM system is working.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2021, 03:36:59 PM »
Apologies PM Sent!

susanned

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2023, 06:18:45 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear about the tragedy in Miami and the loss of Andreas Gia. It's always heartbreaking to hear about such unexpected and devastating events, especially when it hits close to home.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2023, 05:24:04 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about the tragedy in Miami and the loss of Andreas Gia. It's always heartbreaking to hear about such unexpected and devastating events, especially when it hits close to home.
Spammer.  Shame on you.  Have you no respect?
John

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2023, 06:11:26 PM »
Spammer.  Shame on you.  Have you no respect?

Spamming on this page would be particularly poor taste, even for a spammer. But, since this user also posted a little introduction on the Introduce Yourself thread (https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=21.msg488546#msg488546), this might not be spam. Still, I wonder how long until we have chatbots here on the forum talking about growing mangos and jaboticabas.

Also, it would be nice to have an update as to Andreas's memorial. I hope it's progressing nicely.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2023, 06:12:59 PM »
Hopefully not a spammer,

The donation was made to the park, the Psidium striatulum, Longan, and Inga spp. were planted out in the garden and are being cared for-

I am back in Houston this weekend and will try to take some pics if I can get over there

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2023, 07:10:02 PM »
Last night I was going to post

" Thanks for Bumping this back, as I remember the news of the building collapse on our Australian news, but missed the connection with Andreas till now."

Spammer, Chat bot or genuine post ?
Hard to tell, but if Andreas is in our thoughts again, it can't be all bad ??

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2023, 07:59:43 PM »
I'm going with Spammer. Why? Because per the intro page, they say they've been living in FLA for the past 10 years, and they list Seattle as their location? Do better. Be better.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2023, 09:55:13 PM »
I'm going with Spammer. Why? Because per the intro page, they say they've been living in FLA for the past 10 years, and they list Seattle as their location? Do better. Be better.
Yup.  The tragic event of the condo collapse in Surfside that took the life of a young member from Houston who was visiting South Florida at the time along with so many others happened almost two years ago.  It received national news coverage and was the biggest story locally for several days.  This comment that trivializes that horrendous event is disgusting and should be removed.  It was not made by a real human being with a heart and a soul.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 05:02:11 PM by johnb51 »
John

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2023, 10:24:59 PM »
Happy everyone is reminded of Andreas- even if for a shitty reason-

I am still in touch with his family and they have many of his fruit trees still alive

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2023, 10:17:41 AM »
Happy everyone is reminded of Andreas- even if for a shitty reason-

I am still in touch with his family and they have many of his fruit trees still alive
Bless you.  Bless his memory.  Thank you.
John

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2023, 09:09:05 AM »
Probably a spammer, especially given what they say they are growing and listing their city as "Seattle." This is their common tactic for several years, plant a comment with no spam links and then come back (sometimes after months, years even) and edit it to add links. I usually let them stay up until they add the spam link, the members here are on top of it and flag the edited posts pretty quickly. I'd rather miss a spammer than delete a legit new member.

I've been closing old threads that are the worst spam magnets, certain subjects/topics come with higher spam link values that continually attract the parasites, but topics like this one will stay open. As in this case, they do sometimes spark meaningful remembrances and new conversations.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2023, 04:48:38 PM »
I was finally able to make it back to the botanic garden and I have some good news-

The people protected the Ice Cream Bean well during the years since the planting (all my Inga either got killed or knocked back to the ground) and it is growing quite well-

I suspect the guavas didn't fare as well, but I have reached out to the horticulturalists there to see