Author Topic: Something I found out at Zill’s today of importance  (Read 1163 times)

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
Something I found out at Zill’s today of importance
« on: October 16, 2021, 02:15:30 AM »
I said to the Secretary that it would be nice if they sent out a mass mailing every week during mango season telling everyone what varieties Mr Zill picked each week so that others would know about when to start picking their own. Of course picking times can differ based on how far ones’ own trees are from Zills. Her response was that that info is found each week on Facebook where they list their fruit that’s for sale. I personally will start checking this out because Mr Zill says pic them green. I’ve been waiting too long for color changes on varieties that change colors and when they don’t change color and stay on too long too many times a few varieties that can be great get over ripe.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 02:19:21 AM by weiss613 »

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Something I found out at Zill’s today of importance
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 12:37:50 PM »
This would be great since Im only a few blocks away from Zills.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 09:24:49 AM »
I've heard that Zill sometimes picks TOO green.  Didn't Rob make that comment?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 09:32:18 AM by johnb51 »
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 10:33:17 AM »
While this sounds like a good idea in theory, growth and conditions can vary considerably, even within the same orchard. My friend nearby has a Kesar tree, as do I. While there was overlap, we were largely harvesting at different times. He had mangoes a month later than our tree did.

I would only use Zill picking times as an indicator that they are picking a variety at that time. Might check a bit more closely for signs of ripeness on my own trees, based upon reports from others.

Gotta get to know all your varieties. Its not easy with all of them, but part of the fun. Almost got Sweet Tart figured out.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 10:35:14 AM »
Makes sense, roblack.  You have to know your own trees and your varieties, what indicates time to start picking.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 10:38:22 AM by johnb51 »
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 10:44:08 AM »
Makes sense, roblack.  You have to know your own trees and your varieties, what indicates time to start picking.
I second that John. I use you South Florida folks to give me an indicator when I need to start paying closer attention. I tend to to run two to three weeks behind y'all
The weather today is beautiful up here in Central Florida. Hopefully you all are feeling some of these cool breezes. H<br /><br />

Has me motivated to pull weeds transplant and Landscape
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 10:47:22 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk