Author Topic: Dimorcarpus Longan subspecies Malesianus (?)  (Read 996 times)

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Dimorcarpus Longan subspecies Malesianus (?)
« on: October 21, 2021, 04:26:28 AM »
Is anyone currently growing this longan subspecies?  Can anyone confirm if this is it?  I initially got seeds of what I thought was your regular longans over 10 years ago.  It produce a fruit that has a thicker skin, much thinner flesh, crisper juicier flesh, and very fragrant perfume longan smell.  The skin turns yellow when ripe vs brown. Below is a picture of the fruits it produced.  The left side is the subspecies Malesianus I think and the right is your regular longan.

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
Re: Dimorcarpus Longan subspecies Malesianus (?)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 02:06:29 PM »
<br /><br /><br /><br />
Congratulations on your seedling!
I have a yellow skin longan that looks like your seedling from the outside. The flesh on mine is soft though. It's very aromatic and has a pouch of juice when break open. Flavor is definitely unique from regular longans.

Eggo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 03:30:24 AM »
That looks great! Yours seem to form better bunches of fruit.  Yeah it is unique, a lot sweeter, less flesh but I really enjoy the fragrance.  You're not too far from me, maybe one day we could swap fruits.

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 01:26:23 AM »
Eggo
Hopefully next year we'll have fruits to swap. I'd be interested in swapping scions next year in April too. The sound of crisper juicy flesh with a perfume aroma really got my attention. 

Max

Eggo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 01:24:51 PM »
That sounds awesome. I'm definitely up for it.  I'll also be planning to air layering quite a few longans next year to use as rootstock for lychees after seeing the thread on here about grafted lychess.  Those longans grows so well and easy to airlayer.  So I may have a few if u need them.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 12:39:53 PM »
If you guys willing to sell me a few scions next spring, I will pick them up. I have a Kohala in ground, it is very productive and produce nice fruit (10 times better that market's longan). The fruit is firm, sweet, and if I thin them, they will grow quite big. But it has little to no aroma. So I am thinking to graft some of different varieties, and see if they will cross pollinate.

Eggo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 02:41:02 AM »
Yes, sure I definitely have scions to share whenever your ready to graft.  I'm currently interested in any of the Zill mango varieties but if you dont have any that's ok too.  It would be awesome if someone gets a cross of this that produces large kohala size fruits but with the sweetness and aroma of the Malesianus.  My experience is that seedling longans begin to bloom around 7-8 years here so if enough seedlings are grown who knows what you may get.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 04:38:19 AM »
Yes, sure I definitely have scions to share whenever your ready to graft.  I'm currently interested in any of the Zill mango varieties but if you dont have any that's ok too.  It would be awesome if someone gets a cross of this that produces large kohala size fruits but with the sweetness and aroma of the Malesianus.  My experience is that seedling longans begin to bloom around 7-8 years here so if enough seedlings are grown who knows what you may get.

I will definetely contact you on spring. I have about 20 varieties on mangoes, most of them Zill's. Orange Sherbet is the most vigorous and fast growing, followed by Sugarloaf and Venus.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk