Author Topic: Modus operandi of the Manacoo or possum  (Read 641 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Modus operandi of the Manacoo or possum
« on: October 31, 2021, 08:08:43 AM »
Isn't it enough that I'm at constant battle Total War over guavas and mangoes.You would think there would be a reprieve but no. Avocados! Never dreamed I would have to defend those to SOAB. I don't remember mr. Douglas from Green Acres or Old MacDonald having these kinds of issues. I have been wanting to go to Home Depot but jusr waiting for the weather cools off to check out and buy the galvanized duct pipes that The Californians suggested I use for a defense.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 08:32:36 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Modus operandi of the Manacoo or possum
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 10:22:35 AM »
Hmmm.....  I thought it was probably squirrels that took all my Mexicola Grande fruit this year, the first time that my tree had finally set a decent crop at about four years old.

What you reoprt here, Bovine, makes sense to me for why my avos all disappeared in August before they ever had a chance to ripen.  'Til now I had blamed the squirrels for the fruits' disappearance but an opossum now seems a likely culprit, although there were no half-eaten fruits found at the base of the tree..

I will have to try a slick galvanized shield around the base of the trunk to protect next year's crop, but wonderiing how tall is going to be necessary.

Miffed!

Paul M.
==

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 11:18:37 AM »
Hmmm.....  I thought it was probably squirrels that took all my Mexicola Grande fruit this year, the first time that my tree had finally set a decent crop at about four years old.

What you reoprt here, Bovine, makes sense to me for why my avos all disappeared in August before they ever had a chance to ripen.  'Til now I had blamed the squirrels for the fruits' disappearance but an opossum now seems a likely culprit, although there were no half-eaten fruits found at the base of the tree..

I will have to try a slick galvanized shield around the base of the trunk to protect next year's crop, but wonderiing how tall is going to be necessary.

Miffed!

Paul M.
==

Off to the auto parts store to get some sandpaper and some flat brown or OD green spray paint. Beautification

That's going to be my strategy with this Ruby Supreme I planted it out away from all other trees and going to put galvanized duct around the base because the squirrels are decimating my guavas.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 11:24:38 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 04:23:39 PM »
Beautification. I think this is one useful strategy. I only have a couple of mango trees that the structure isn't accommodating for this technique. This will probably only have to be deployed during fruit ripening season :)