Author Topic: Anything I can do to stimulate growth of Mangos in low Sunlight areas?  (Read 1158 times)

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
I have a couple small Mango trees (Kent and ValCarrie) that came in a 7 Gal pot. I planted them in a shady area surrounded by bigger trees I am not allowed to cut down because I ran out of room. They are staying alive and are green but are not putting out new growth after almost a year.
Anything I can feed them to make up for low sunlight area?

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
Re: Anything I can do to stimulate growth of Mangos in low Sunlight areas?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 06:21:20 PM »
Maybe you can use some reflective material underneath the mangos to give som extra light, maybe some sweet water creek sand?
I have small mango tree's  that grow slow but steadily inside the dense monsoon forest. Maybe there's not enough water?

You could possibly get a long pole saw and trim some branches of to give a bit more light, maybe thats ok cause your not cutting them down completely.

CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 06:49:51 PM »
I've tried trimming all I m comfortable with. They aren't in a "forest" per say, but they have tall trees all around them which makes the sunlight hard to get through. But I have cleared all around them, on my property.

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 09:02:10 PM »
Often it's the root competition from big trees that holds back nearby newly planted trees. If I plant any kind of tree near big established trees I have to baby them just to keep them alive the first yr. Babying meaning frequent water. By the second yr things are better. But it's usually the third yr before the small tree can hold it's own against the big root system of a nearby established tree. Light isn't the issue. But then I usually don't water my trees much because less water means sweeter fruit. In FL it rains a lot more. But still root competition has been a big issue here in dry west Texas and in Illinois when I grew things there.

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 08:22:38 AM »
Hmmmmm....maybe that's it. I think it's sunlight bit it could be root competition. I was thinking about trying to find a better spot with more sunlight and moving them but maybe I'll just wait. They just don't seem to be growing at all....but are staying green.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 09:12:11 AM »
Often it's the root competition from big trees that holds back nearby newly planted trees. If I plant any kind of tree near big established trees I have to baby them just to keep them alive the first yr. Babying meaning frequent water. By the second yr things are better. But it's usually the third yr before the small tree can hold it's own against the big root system of a nearby established tree. Light isn't the issue. But then I usually don't water my trees much because less water means sweeter fruit. In FL it rains a lot more. But still root competition has been a big issue here in dry west Texas and in Illinois when I grew things there.
Agree.....+1

I have a couple small Mango surrounded by bigger trees I am not allowed to cut down
Weed eater damage to tree trunks occurs accidentally often.... Herbicide spraying on grass around the big trees accidentally hits the damaged trunk/roots often.... Results often in decreased large tree growth.... Be careful.... Accidents happen....
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 09:20:33 AM by palmcity »

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 11:39:41 AM »
I never spray anything around the area at all. It's not a "yard" but more of a woody area that I have cleared out.

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2021, 02:32:00 PM »
Hmmmmm....maybe that's it. I think it's sunlight bit it could be root competition. I was thinking about trying to find a better spot with more sunlight and moving them but maybe I'll just wait. They just don't seem to be growing at all....but are staying green.

The lack of growth sounds like root competition. Trees don't need much light just for vegetative growth. Be patient and your new trees will start to grow probably next yr. Meanwhile if it's dry water the little tree.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 02:33:54 PM by fruitnut1944 »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 03:32:45 PM »
I build mounds. Helps to provide fresh soil for new roots, and soil is thin here.

Then, lots of water to establish the new tree.

Then fert.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2021, 07:31:01 PM »
mango likes full sun. It takes a lot of photosynthesis to make fruits like mango. Growing in shade will create a tall spindly plant that is apically dominant and spends most of it's energy trying to find what it needs, the sun, instead of fruiting. I can't find it but have a photo of a mango planted under an oak tree it grew nearly horizontal for about 10 feet till it got out from under the tree then finally began normal growth upwards where it could outcompete the oak.
Being a water oak, in 20 years or so the oak will come down leaving the mango tree very happy to take it's place.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk