Author Topic: Good source for Yuzuquat?  (Read 2106 times)

nullroar

• 7b
    • View Profile
Good source for Yuzuquat?
« on: November 03, 2021, 03:45:37 PM »
I've heard there are some decent tasting varieties out there, potentially even more cold hardy than the Yuzu parent. If true, anyone know any sources? I know a ton of places to get yuzu, but I don't love the idea of trying to cross-pollinate with my kumquats until i'm successful. Would much prefer a reliable source :D

[I just realized this might be better in buy/sell/trade, but can't delete the post and don't want to double-post :/]

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Good source for Yuzuquat?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 11:01:52 PM »
Is sudachi a yuzuquat? 

nullroar

• 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 11:26:28 PM »
I don't believe so. Yuzuquat is a mix between Yuzu and Kumquat, while Sudachi is iirc a hybrid of Yuzu and tachibana orange + potentially one other japanese variety (non-kumquat). The results are (i'm told) that Yuzuquat is infinitely more palatable than Sudachi.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 11:39:24 PM »
Well now I want a yuzuquat too  :P

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 03:11:24 AM »
Though never having personally tasted it, I'm sure that Yuzuquat would be edible, including the peel. In fact I find the peel of Yuzu to be pretty edible and relatively soft and not too bitter. However, I question what the practical use would be. Although it is not impossible, most people would probably not want to forage on Yuzu fruits eating them out of hand. Rather the peel is useful for culinary purposes, adding flavor, or I'm sure you could candy the peel for a snack if you wanted to. What would the point be? A slightly more cold tolerant version of kumquat?
If you have a Yuzuquat, you cannot just pop them into your mouth because they have seeds. So are you going to cut open the fruit, remove all those seeds, and then eat the fruit in segments with the peel? I guess it is possible but I cannot imagine most people doing that.

manfromyard

• USA, Ga, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 05:23:10 PM »
That variety is not common. I think Buchanan's nursery in Texas used to have it often. I have a seedling one that started fruiting with 1 fruit this year.  Unfortunately since ga is now in quarantine,  there's no way for me to share it. Maybe one of the nurseries in ga might take the budwood from me and start certification.  But you still won't get it from them if you live in ca, fl, TX, la, etc...

manfromyard

• USA, Ga, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 11:46:44 AM »
Hershell at madison Citrus says that he is working on getting this one re-introduced, so maybe in a year or two...

martweb

• Germany, Bavaria, Maisach
    • View Profile
Yuzuquat
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 01:04:53 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but who has experiences with Yuzuquat?

manfromyard

• USA, Ga, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2022, 11:59:59 AM »
I've only had fruit from it once, but it was OK. Small lemonish sour fruit, a bit smaller than my citrangequat. It also never gets sweet. An extremely thorny plant...

PDXIan

• USA, Portland, Oregon, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2022, 04:39:28 PM »
Mine finally put on a good amount of growth this year, but hasn't flowered yet.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2022, 01:45:43 PM »
does it retain the "yuzu" flavor and or scent in the peel or juice?

I've only had fruit from it once, but it was OK. Small lemonish sour fruit, a bit smaller than my citrangequat. It also never gets sweet. An extremely thorny plant...

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2023, 04:30:28 PM »
I had a random flower on a Yuzu cutting that made pollen just now, my Nagami bloomed 3 flowers as well so I just pollinated them with the fresh Yuzu pollen 🤞

manfromyard

• USA, Ga, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2023, 12:07:55 AM »
does it retain the "yuzu" flavor and or scent in the peel or juice?

The yuzu flavor is more in the peel than the juice. But the fruit is a bit small to get much zest..