Author Topic: grafted cherapu  (Read 1114 times)

guaycuyacu

• ecuador
    • View Profile
    • guaycuyacu seeds
grafted cherapu
« on: November 06, 2021, 07:38:40 PM »
i have had cherapu trees producing for some time.  about 5 or 6 years ago i grafted a female scion onto a male tree.   i did the graft at around chest height.  since then the grafted tree has continued to grow, but only horizontally.  it is still the same height as when i did the graft.  it has expanded outward, but slowly, and has produced, but not a lot. 
which other grafted garcinia spp. behave this way?

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: grafted cherapu
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 11:04:14 PM »
This is common. I have seen multiple grafted mangosteen in Puerto Rico and the trees do not grow upright and are very compact. I have a grafted madruno that has normal upright growth. I grafted at 3ft  on the central leader with a cleft graft. I have heard theories the source of the scion may also be the cause, that scions should be taken from upright branches
Brandon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 01:21:50 AM »
Mangosteen will do the same. Yes you need to use scions that are from upright branches. If you use scions from horizontal branches you will only get horizontal growth.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 08:24:48 AM »
I have the same experience with Asian garcinias. I have stopped grafting mangosteens for the same reason. I’m not sure that using an upright branch will work very well either.
Now I only graft garcinias to change sex. I grafted a parvifolia onto a male lateriflora and I have the same problem. In fact we were topping the parvifolia and I used the main leader and it is still growing sideways!
Peter

guaycuyacu

• ecuador
    • View Profile
    • guaycuyacu seeds
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 12:44:38 PM »
but there is only one vertical scion per tree!
Mangosteen will do the same. Yes you need to use scions that are from upright branches. If you use scions from horizontal branches you will only get horizontal growth.

guaycuyacu

• ecuador
    • View Profile
    • guaycuyacu seeds
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 12:32:35 PM »
can anyone answer my original question- which other grafted garcinias are, or are not, like this?

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 12:59:24 PM »
I think this behavior is common to most garcinias. I have seen small grafted achachairu and madruno at a PR nursery that grew horizontally. I have seen this with my personal Luc's garcinia grafts with scions mailed from Mexico.
Brandon

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2021, 10:10:03 PM »

I have a grafted achacha that is doing this, should I hack off one limb and then stake the other vertical?

Thanks,

Joe

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 05:35:09 AM »
Edilson Giacon just posted this on FB, and i thought you would be interested Jaime West: "The mangosteen plants grafted, grew to the sides, horizontally not upwards.
Probably by the Garcinias growing coniferous-like, an apical yolk up and side branches growing to the sides, thus pimples removed from side branches, will grow horizontally, reason for failure.
Today in Paraná, we already have a protocol of techniques to graft Araucaria - Araucaria angustifolia, and this technique can be partially used in Garcinias.
In Garcinias, we have more than one branch of apical growth, something less common in conifers, that need to be induced, but we can also induce more of them in Garcinias.
Below a search for coniferous grafting, need to watch, read several, to separate more correct practices."
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2021, 08:04:19 AM »
With large mangosteen trees you can find occasional branchlet growth on the horizontal branches that grows straight up. This is the material that supposedly will give a good result. On cherapu I haven’t really found the same material.
I don’t really care about grafting mangosteen as I don’t see any advantages in it. But it’s a shame that we can’t graft dioecious garcinias to change the sex and get a nice result.
Peter

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2021, 08:51:00 AM »
I grafted two Luc's with male budwood earlier this year.  All 5 of my flowering Luc's trees are females that do not produce fruit without pollen sourced from a male tree. The male tree was over 15 ft tall so I clipped scions from lower secondary branches that curve upward. So far these two grafts appear to be relatively vigorous and growing upright. These upward growing branches tend to be fairly thick, maybe a 1/2 inch between the first and second node. I grafted them on 4ft trees in 7gal pots.

I have a mangosteen that lost its central leader to cold/wind damage. Two leader branches replaced it. 

This is all easier with younger trees in pots under shade and protected from wind. I tried to graft male scions on a field tree in full sun and in a windy location and it did not go well.
Brandon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk