Author Topic: Mango: bought Cat Hoa Loc fruit from Vietnamese store  (Read 1290 times)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Mango: bought Cat Hoa Loc fruit from Vietnamese store
« on: December 28, 2021, 01:01:07 AM »
My wife bought some fruits from a store in Little Saigon down in Orange County, SoCal yesterday. She told me $15/lb. I have only one as she gave the rest to other relatives. They must be air shipped from VN as the fruit looks so fresh with the green stem (about 3mm section near the base and the remain is brown) attached. I was so surprised that the short stem didn't break off during the long journey and changing hands. I also have never seen a mature mango with part of the stem still green. One special characteristic of CHL is its 10mm dark circle around the stem, as seen in these pics I took. My goal is to grow a seedling from seed. Have anyone tried them before?

I just learned both CHL and Cat Chu have similar dark circle around the stem, so how to differentiate them? This video shows CHL has the navel at the bend about 1" from the beak. The lady said those mangoes were picked from tree yesterday and they are CHL. Notice the green stems, as I don't remember my mangoes grown in SoCal  had the green stems when ready to pick.
https://youtu.be/PtjHMQjpExA
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 01:31:46 AM by sapote »

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango: bought Cat Hoa Loc fruit from Vietnamese store
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 02:03:09 AM »
This video shows how the famers take care the fruits from thumb size to maturity. Each fruit was covered up with two layers: paper inner and outer plastic (or wax paper I'm not sure) to protect from insects as the famers did not spray pesticide on fruits. It's amazing how many change hands before the fruits reached consumers, and the long stems with leaves from the farms, down to a few inches long stems at the stores, and most fruits still had the stem intact. I watched carefully how the workers ripped off the long stem down to a few inches as each destinations without using a cutter, but the stem didn't break off at the base. This means this mango has a very strong tough stem to base attachment. No wonder why after thousands of miles journey  my store bought fruit still have the green stem attached.

From the time the small fruits were covered up, they were ready after about 2.5 months in the bags. The famers said they had 3 crops per year.

The lady used a fruit picker with a V blade at the narrow rim to cut the stem with the fruit in the nest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCQOu2UGNg4
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 02:15:27 AM by sapote »

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 07:56:32 AM »
Seems like a clear difference in appearance of the mango you posted and the one in the videos. The one in the video are more elongated and not so big/fat
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 08:10:04 AM by ben mango »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 09:17:42 AM »
the CHL that i grew last year was more elongated.
Kinda like a Cac meets a NDM.

I'll try to find some pictures

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 09:26:02 AM »

I think this is the right one
CHL on the left and a small CAC (aka cat chu?) On the right

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 04:30:17 PM »
Seems like a clear difference in appearance of the mango you posted and the one in the videos. The one in the video are more elongated and not so big/fat

I think it depends on the position; I will take pics at diff positions to show the elongate shape and pointed beak.

Also notice the filled base where stem connected: dimple or basin (or shoulder?) around the stem as other mangoes.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 12:50:23 AM »
Pics at different positions to show its pointed tip and less fat shape:

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 09:55:38 PM »
Doesn't green stem mean picked too early?
Tell us how it tastes

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 02:48:52 PM »
In the videos we can see that these mangoes all have green stems, and some farmers checked each fruit for ready to pick. It's just weird that most of my mangoes in SoCal had brown stem when picked.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 10:41:35 AM »
Doesn't green stem mean picked too early?
Tell us how it tastes

No, a number of mangos will be mature and still have green stem. And specifically with Cat Hoa Loc, we’ve seen this trait as well on the fruit we’ve harvested from it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk