Author Topic: where to find c35 rootstock? and shipping question  (Read 1066 times)

kinky

• Ohio
    • View Profile
where to find c35 rootstock? and shipping question
« on: December 28, 2021, 08:13:03 PM »
Im a beginner just trying to find some rootstock. Everywhere I look online is sold out so I have asked a friend in california to look at nurseries and see if he can find any, but it has lead me to question the legality. Can he ship me stuff from cali to ohio? He has a grapefruit and lemon tree I would love to try grafting before buying things from CCPP, is that legal?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 09:09:45 PM by kinky »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: where to find c35 rootstock? and shipping question
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 01:04:46 PM »
As long as your friend does not live in a quarantine area, it should be fine to ship you bud wood.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 11:06:44 PM »
You can buy C35 seedlings from Fourwindcitrus.  https://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/products/c-35-citrus-rootstock?variant=30906563330107  You may have to wait till they are in stock

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 11:13:36 PM »
what are you plans for these?  You are probably better off buying pre-grafted trees from various suppliers, and then getting into grafting once you have some experience growing.  Grafting your own from purchased rootstock from CCPP is likely much more expensive than simply purchasing grafted trees... however if you want something nobody sells it might be your only option.

Madison citrus nursery has quite the broad selection, I suggest you check there.

kinky

• Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 09:07:26 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

Trees to play around with is also in progress. I have a couple grafted finger lime trees already and want to get another 1 or 2 basic lemon / limes to really hone skills with. The plan is to have a few trees with various different branches of fruits years down the line. Ill have to keep them in pots in my climate so im not expecting the greatest harvests or quality, but im sticking to smaller or cold hardier fruit for now.

I ended up hearing back from Lyn Citrus, im purchasing come c35 seeds and growing as many as I can over the next year, recruiting some growing friends, and hoping to do some grafting onto them next year if its a good growing season.

And I understand buying some trees and growing them up and grafting would likely be easier and cheaper, but this is something I have always wanted to do and I would very much enjoy being able to say that I grew and grafted the trees myself.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 09:21:37 PM by kinky »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 05:59:32 PM »
Kinky, the best of luck to your plan.