Author Topic: This this Geffner Atemoya or rootstock???  (Read 676 times)

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
This this Geffner Atemoya or rootstock???
« on: January 08, 2022, 05:01:49 PM »
Hi All,

I had a geffner that had a lot of dieback when I transplanted it. It looks like it died back to "almost" the rootstock, and then grew like mad. I am wondering if I got lucky and it is growing after the graft, or from the root stock. Please let me know what you think. Worse comes to worse, I will be buying geffner scions, but am trying to avoid that. Thanks!
Alex

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
Re: This this Geffner Atemoya or rootstock???
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 06:02:31 PM »
Looks above the graft to me. Wood looks lighter below the graft. Let the two sticks get a little thicker and then compare with the lower wood. Or if it suckers from the lower trunk let the sucker grow a few mature leaves and then compare them to the rest of the plant's leaves. Should give an indication..

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 03:07:28 PM »
Looks above the graft to me. Wood looks lighter below the graft. Let the two sticks get a little thicker and then compare with the lower wood. Or if it suckers from the lower trunk let the sucker grow a few mature leaves and then compare them to the rest of the plant's leaves. Should give an indication..
I am thinking that the growth is above the graft, but it's dicey. I don't want to wait 2 years just to find out that I grew a huge rootstock and have to wait another 2 years for fruit. Fingers crossed

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 05:10:40 PM »
The graft line does look very close but you should get flowers and fruit this season
Geffner produces well for me without hand pollination

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 10:05:09 PM »
I can't help with ID but have had trees with close crotch angles like that split very easily. Something to consider for the future.