Author Topic: Reed avocado, welcomed surprise  (Read 532 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Reed avocado, welcomed surprise
« on: January 16, 2022, 09:19:27 AM »
I have this Reed tree since 2013. In the last few years never paid much attention to it because by the end of December all the fruit was in the ground and before December the fruit was small and not reach it best maturity.
This year seems to be different. The tree has 40-50 fruit, it is holding them well, the fruit is continuing to grow. I picked one in early January and allow it to ripen in the counter. These are the attached pictures. Very clean an acceptable taste.
The only explanation I have is that we had a cooler November, allowing the tree to make a transition without dropping the fruit.
I wonder if anyone else is growing it in Florida?

Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
Re: Reed avocado, welcomed surprise
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 12:37:34 PM »
Hi Carlos, unfortunately that does not look like a Reed to me. Reed is round like a cannon ball. Maybe in your weather conditions it grows more elongated but I doubt it. It looks way too much like a Hass type.

Bill

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 02:09:44 PM »
Sometimes they are not always super round.  Mine are often shaped that way too.  It looks like its not that ripe though Carlos.

Young reed trees tend to drop the fruit early and not get super ripe u til the tree ages.  The loose seed is indication its not fully ripe.  The flesh will turn more yellow if you can get them to ha g longer. 
Brad Spaugh

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 03:27:19 PM »
I agree it looks small and rounded by California standards but California avocados that I have tried tend to grow a bit different in Homestead.  For example: The Holliday stays very small and drops off in October. Hass stays very small with a large seed, Fuerte never ripens etc.
I do agree with spaugh that it needs more time I'm watching the tree now and they continue to grow almost no fruit drop. If this is the new normal for this tree it certainly had a long juvenility period.

Will Take another fruit at month end.

Carlos

Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk