Author Topic: Deciduous citrus developed in Florida  (Read 873 times)

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
Deciduous citrus developed in Florida
« on: February 08, 2022, 03:20:23 AM »
Selection 1: ‘Sherman’. Early Ripening (October) and cold hardy. The tree is actually deciduous. Fruit is seedy. Flavor is mild, but with solid brix in the 12 range. Ratios range from 14.5-14.8. Not graft compatible with US 942. Its primary drawbacks are thorniness and canker susceptibility. Released and cleaned. Displayed in October.

https://www.growingproduce.com/citrus/new-orange-like-citrus-hybrids-to-the-rescue/

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Deciduous citrus developed in Florida
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 04:28:59 PM »
Thank you for sharing the article. Very cool. I did not know that officials are still trying to create edible Poncirus hybrids.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 04:43:24 PM »
Sherman has some very important attributes. Early ripening, plus deciduous behavior are indications that cold hardy edible cultivars should be attainable. Poncirus has made incredible contributions to Citriculture in the past and continues to do so. Despite being considered inedible, invasive and weedy, Poncirus has proven to be valuable, first as a rootstock, now likely as a contribution towards scion development.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 05:29:22 PM by kumin »

eyeckr

• Virginia Beach, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 11:27:52 AM »
Great share! I also was not aware that there were still ongoing program efforts to breed decent tasting hardy citrus.

manfromyard

• USA, Ga, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 02:24:09 PM »
Thanks for that info. I'm seriously laughing that the secret ingredient in Florida orange juice is some trifoliate flavor!