Author Topic: Best Mangos from India Grown in Florida?  (Read 1287 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Best Mangos from India Grown in Florida?
« on: September 02, 2022, 03:35:43 PM »
I've read that many Indian mangos don't reach their full flavor potential in Florida or don't produce well and consistently due to our different climate.  So which varieties are best when grown in Florida?  I don't want to eliminate USDA Himsagar even though it's probably not the Himsagar actually grown in India because I tasted it this summer, and it was very good.  A big plus would be if the tree were compact and dwarfish.  I apologize if some version of this topic has been covered before, but as we've had more experience with Indian mangos in the last few years, I think it's worthwhile to find out what the consensus might be.  India is the mango's motherland, after all.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 09:25:45 AM by johnb51 »
John

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Best Mangos from India Grown in Florida?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 04:30:03 PM »
There's a motel run by Indian people and they have a mango tree there which is better than most mangoes. I assume they brought over from India. I don't know if they are as good as they are in India but they seem to perform pretty well in Florida. It's just trial and error though seeing what works best in your area.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 05:42:54 PM »
I've read that many Indian mangos don't reach their full flavor potential in Florida or produce well and consistently due to our different climate.  So which varieties are best when grown in Florida?  I don't want to eliminate USDA Himsagar even though it's probably not the Himsagar actually grown in India because I tasted it this summer, and it was very good.  A big plus would be if the tree were compact and dwarfish.  I apologize if some version of this topic has been covered before, but as we've had more experience with Indian mangos in the last few years, I think it's worthwhile to find out what the consensus might be.

In South Florida Neelam and Kesar grow pretty problem free.
I really like Neelam, it holds up well enough against the new Zill varieties considering its season.
Son Pari seems pretty good, though the tree at my father's house is still relatively young. Also, its not that widely grown to really make it one I'd recommend.
Malika was on the curator's list but has seemed to fall out of favor recently, MBBS maybe?
I'm growing Bennet Alphonso and Ambika as a test (Alex made some favorable comments in the past)

Alex had a video the other day, one of the questions was about this.
He probably has the most exp with this amongst forum members.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 05:50:30 PM »
There's a motel run by Indian people and they have a mango tree there which is better than most mangoes. I assume they brought over from India. I don't know if they are as good as they are in India but they seem to perform pretty well in Florida. It's just trial and error though seeing what works best in your area.
Have you asked them what it is?
John

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2022, 08:19:16 PM »
Some mango they got in India. They don't know what it's called.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2022, 08:47:33 PM »
Some mango they got in India. They don't know what it's called.
So they probably planted a seed.
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 12:03:53 PM »
Alex, if you get a chance, give us the breakdown.  Why no info on Alampur Baneshan on your website?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 12:07:15 PM by johnb51 »
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2022, 02:40:12 PM »
Kesar and Guava

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2022, 04:06:19 PM »
What two varieties of Indian mangoes does Truly Tropical Chris sell the most of.
 Malika and Neelam. My wife gives high praises to Malika for its large size and seed to flesh ratio. As of right now Neelam is looking and tasting sweet to me.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 04:09:34 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2022, 05:50:28 PM »
Is it true that Malika mango has to be picked at the right time or they will taste really bad?
Tom

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2022, 06:59:37 PM »
My favorite Indian mango is Alampur Baneshan. Taste like nothing else and the flesh is more whitish than any other mango I’ve seen. Also Mallika is very good. I disagree, if you let it ripe on the tree it tastes bad. It just tastes different from harvested green and ripened later. Love them both! Although, overripe Mallika might taste like carrots. Lol.
Zone Pusher

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2022, 07:09:46 PM »
Is it true that Malika mango has to be picked at the right time or they will taste really bad?

I can taste really good but it's tricky to know when to pick it.
When it ripens on the tree it tends to do so unevenly like it's parent Neelam.
We used to have a tree but it wasn't worth the yard space. Id plant it if I had an acre though

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2022, 08:29:27 PM »
I wont say really bad but it drops from really good to mediocre and have this melon taste that is blah at best.
When picked just right though it is spectacular.  On either side of just right the quality drops off.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2022, 09:24:52 PM »
Must have Tropical Acres list to go down to find Indian/....   I was surprised as I counted 59 varieties.... I have not even tried 1/3 of that list but what I've tried I've been mostly pleased with the Indian taste in Mangos.

It would help others if we list from your favorite Indian variety to your least favorite as many would like more of these tastes in their yard but few would have room or desire to plant all 59 (I may have counted wrong & no big deal).

https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/mangos

1. Carrie
1. Super Julie (tied)
3. 0-15
4. Kesar
5. Malikka
6. Iman Passand
Unfortunately all I have in my yard with Indian tastes producing this year.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2022, 09:29:32 PM »
Any overripe mango can taste bad; Malika can be extra awful. That said, picked and properly ripened, is very nice.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2022, 09:49:33 AM »
Sulcata Grove made a video with extreme praise for Alampur Baneshan.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43EAQrVwsq4  On TAF website it's equated with Iman Passand, but Alex hasn't restored the information on this variety.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 09:52:06 AM by johnb51 »
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2022, 04:11:52 PM »
Kalapadi, Prabhashanker, Mahmood Bahar, Jawahar, Kalluketty.  Are any of these in any mango collection in Florida?
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk