Author Topic: Jujube  (Read 664 times)

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Jujube
« on: October 13, 2022, 08:43:02 AM »
Jujube Thai Giant in three gallon $50 Local pick up No shipping. Call Mike at TreesNMore 772-781-9570

Mike

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Jujube
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 08:57:43 AM »
Our 2 Thai/Indian jujube trees are covered in flowers, wonderful winter fruit!

TREESNMORE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 10:26:36 AM »
My 2 planted in the ground are full of flowers too. Some of these in pots have fruit
Mike

Tropical Sunshine

• Coastal TX, USA zone 9B (down to zone 8A during a freak freeze!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 11:39:59 AM »
Some folks think that the Thai/Indian jujube fruit is the same as the Chinese jujube fruit. Well I’m here to set things straight: They’re not the same fruits!!

IMHO, the Thai/Indian jujube is better suited to eating fresh. Its flesh is crunchy, juicy, with a delicate sweet to sour ratio that is very appealing to my taste bud. On the other hand, fresh Chinese jujube fruit tends to be more spongy, with a small amount of astringency in some fruits. That’s not to say that Chinese jujube is not good, as there are several superior named varieties with the complex flavor of sugar cane and caramelized pears. Anyway, I have both fruits and they each have their own places in the garden!

« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 09:49:12 PM by Tropical Sunshine »
Teach a man to fish, and he will be able to catch fish for life.

Teach a man to nurture plants, and he will be able to eat durian, soursop, mangosteen, papaya, rambutan, and guava fruits for life!

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 12:13:36 PM »
Can you share a picture of the fruit?

TREESNMORE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 01:12:19 PM »
The fruit that is on the trees that are for sale is about as big as you thumb nail. Not ready yet
Mike

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2022, 07:14:00 PM »
Some folks think that the Thai/Indian jujube fruit is the same as the Chinese jujube fruit. Well I’m here to set things straight: They’re not the same fruits!!

IMHO, the Thai/Indian jujube is better suited to eating fresh. Its flesh is crunchy, juicy, with a delicate sweet to sour ratio that is very appealing to my taste bud. On the other hand, fresh Chinese jujube fruit tends to be more spongy, with a small amount of astringency in some fruits. That’s not to say that Chinese jujube is not good, as there are several superior named varieties with the complex flavor of sugar cane and caramelized pears. Anyway, I have both fruits and they each have their own places in the garden!a

100%
Just bought some Chinese jujube from local market and I could barely eat them, sorry to any who like them fresh, but the texture was no good and the taste was hardly better.  The Thai jujube I’ve had have been way better for fresh eating like you said. 

I think they commonly dry them out before eating the Chinese jujube.  Maybe that helps them to be palatable.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk