Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 535191 times)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #2075 on: August 31, 2021, 11:32:23 AM »
Mango Bacterial Black Spot.  Spray with Copper to reduce spread of MBBS.
Har

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: August 31, 2021, 01:33:42 PM »

To reduce Mango BBS with copper, one may need frequent applications. Before, going through the process one should ascertain their current micronutrient analysis specially "Copper". Foliar spray shows little more promising in Alkaline soil than the banding/side dressing or brodcasting. copper toxicity in plants causing symptoms such as chlorosis and necrosis, stunting, leaf discoloration, and inhibition of root growth.
Copper impedes lignin synthesis in Toxic level which in turn interferes the process of photosynthesis, essential for plant respiration thus plant metabolism of carbohydrates and proteins are depleted.
To reduce spread or to contain to some extent we can spray Copper Oxychloride or Copper Oxide in a recommended doses.

KNOWING MANGO BACTERIAL BLACK SPOT IN FLORIDA:

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/HS1369

ASSESSING COPPER THRESHOLDS FOR
PHYTOTOXICITY AND POTENTIAL DIETARY
TOXICITY IN SELECTED VEGETABLE CROPS:

https://irrec.ifas.ufl.edu/irsws/History%20Publications/1/JESHYang2002.pdf

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: September 01, 2021, 11:05:35 AM »
My 1 yr old Neelam graft on Kent rootstock hasn't been doing great, at all. It's getting the same fertilizer regimen as several other seedlings, all others doing fine.
It's had two flushes this season, but the leaves are up-turned and the trunk is thin, spindly-looking. The graft union isn't great, but seems well-healed. The rootstock has black pocks all over it (interestingly, none on the scion); guessing that's MBBS, but I also had a bad problem with anthracnose when we were getting rains nearly every day for the last two months. Maybe it's scion/rootstock incompatibility, but I'm thinking it's something wrong with the rootstock.

Does it look salvageable? I'm hoping to see some swelling buds before the grafting season is over, I'd feel better grafting onto another rootstock. It seems completely stalled/stunted at this point. Maybe I should hit it with fish fertilizer every week or so to see if that kicks it into gear.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: September 01, 2021, 02:32:09 PM »
If the spots on the trunk are depressed, they are likely anthracnose;  if the spots are raised, they are likely Mango Bacterial Black Spot.

Copper sprays can fight the further spread of either disease.  Potassium Silicate spray can toughen the surface.
Har

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: September 01, 2021, 07:49:30 PM »
Thanks Har. The centers of the spots are all definitely sunken, the edge/rim around the sunken spots are slightly raised, though. A few of the spots also have a slight yellow halo. The more I look at the state of the rootstock, the more I want to get a Neelam scion off it asap.

Any recommendations on forcing it to push new growth? It's getting a monthly time-released fertilizer with micros.
Would girdling the trunk 6" or so below the top do anything?

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: September 01, 2021, 07:58:51 PM »
If the dark spot on the graft union upper right bevel is sap, I wouldn't wait!

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: September 02, 2021, 09:10:08 AM »

Thank you

Tony714

• Fountain Valley OC , SOCAL, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: September 02, 2021, 12:23:21 PM »
Hi,
I bought this Lemon Zest from parking lot sale.  It looks like graft on Manila rootstock.   I bought it late Apr but leaves like this.  Can you please let me know what may be and how to fix it?  I
I appreciate it.

Soil - perlite,  sand, potting soil
Sprayed Organocide

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: September 02, 2021, 03:01:43 PM »
Potassium deficiency, and other deficiencies.  Also may have been exposed to urea, which mangos mostly don't like.

Last couple of photos seem to show the leaf form of MBBS.

Har

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: September 02, 2021, 05:24:00 PM »
Thanks Har. The centers of the spots are all definitely sunken, the edge/rim around the sunken spots are slightly raised, though. A few of the spots also have a slight yellow halo. The more I look at the state of the rootstock, the more I want to get a Neelam scion off it asap.

Any recommendations on forcing it to push new growth? It's getting a monthly time-released fertilizer with micros.
Would girdling the trunk 6" or so below the top do anything?

Going back to Basics: To regulate plants normal vigor.
==============================================

1) Sunlight: Needs 6-8 hours of Sunlight

2) Watering: Frequent watering kills more mango trees than less watering. Rely more on rain water than sprinkler or other irrigation systems unless, there is a serous drought going on. For established mango trees watering isn't required.

3) Fertilizers: Try to go with 10-10-10(having  primary and secondary macronutrients with micro) to boost vegetative growth, root growth and overall plant health and vigor,1-2 months apart, in a recommended dose. If you have been using 8-3-9, stop that for few months. 

4) Pesticides: Use it, depending on the disease condition.

5)Soil condition: Test soil ph and correct it if it is adverse for the growth. Mangoes do like little alkaline soil.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: September 03, 2021, 09:56:02 AM »
1) Sunlight: Needs 6-8 hours of Sunlight

2) Watering: Frequent watering kills more mango trees than less watering. Rely more on rain water than sprinkler or other irrigation systems unless, there is a serous drought going on. For established mango trees watering isn't required.

3) Fertilizers: Try to go with 10-10-10(having  primary and secondary macronutrients with micro) to boost vegetative growth, root growth and overall plant health and vigor,1-2 months apart, in a recommended dose. If you have been using 8-3-9, stop that for few months. 

4) Pesticides: Use it, depending on the disease condition.

5)Soil condition: Test soil ph and correct it if it is adverse for the growth. Mangoes do like little alkaline soil.

Thanks for the suggestions! I am using a soilless mix with pine bark fines. I thought mangos preferred slightly acidic soils, but tolerate slight variance on either side of neutral.
I should get a good 10-10-10 for use with seedlings. I don't think my 8-3-9 with micros feeds the young ones enough.

As luck would have it, the Neelam is just starting to push again as of this morning; looks like I will get a scion off of it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 12:05:23 PM by JakeFruit »

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: September 03, 2021, 11:50:42 AM »
No problem Jakefruit. You're welcome.
If you use solely Pine bark, the ph of which is slightly acidic for mangoes around 4.0 -5.0. And of course, lot of fruit trees love that like Lychees. So, you may consider increasing the ph a bit around 6.0-6.5. By adding lime,  probably, it will solve the ph issue though...

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: September 03, 2021, 06:18:27 PM »

This year my unknown mango tree has some yellow patch in the middle.
It only shows on old leaves, the new young leaves look normal. This tree is about 3 years old, 2nd year in the ground. About 6 ft tall.
Is it lack of nitrogen? Or too much water?
Other Zill varieties grafted are doing well.
They all get the same fertilizer and same watering schedule.

Thanks everyone!

Just read this today and thought of you.

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: September 07, 2021, 01:13:13 PM »
Har and Mark,

I always bring the brain teaser questions.

So I have few 1 year old mango seedlings in ground that showed at some point Phosphorus deficiency (8.4 pH/leaching sandy soil/ 90% Calcium). So for the last 5 weeks, I have been giving 2 Tbsp of 18-18-18 and that helped them tremendously. The seedling that had showed the least deficiency is now showing what appears to be a toxicity as described in this paragraph.

Mango trees appear to be quite sensitive to heavy phosphorus fertilization accumulating as much as 0.84 per cent phosphorus in leaves on dry weight basis against 0.08 – 0.175 per cent in normal leaves. This excessive phosphorus resulted in a spotting of mature leaves in fall, first appearing on the lower surface, but later on also on the upper surface.

Necrotic areas also developed on the margins of some leaves. Leaves become chlorotic and shed heavily. It also causes some drying of shoots.

How would you deal with this problem please? I have Potassium Nitrate for next week fertilizer dose and I also have Calcium Nitrate. Can I give some calcium to lock up some Phosphorus?

Thanks

Edit: One week I remembered that I skipped 18-18-18 but gave about 75gr of DAP and 75gr of Potassium Nitrate  :'( :'( :'(
Edit: Just gave 20gr of Sequestrene and 15gr of EDTA chelated mix with 0.6% Zinc.
Edit: Added an image, after cleaning all the older leaves that dried up and died already.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 02:05:12 PM by mangoba »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: September 17, 2021, 04:44:10 PM »
Har and Mark,

I always bring the brain teaser questions.

So I have few 1 year old mango seedlings in ground that showed at some point Phosphorus deficiency (8.4 pH/leaching sandy soil/ 90% Calcium). So for the last 5 weeks, I have been giving 2 Tbsp of 18-18-18 and that helped them tremendously. The seedling that had showed the least deficiency is now showing what appears to be a toxicity as described in this paragraph.

You sure don't need any more Ca. Saltpeter (14-0-43) might be a good food but your faves still need micros.  Contrary to Fl. growers I push my young mangos with a moderate to high N food.  Osmocote Indoor/Outdoor Plus would be good choice for your younguns.

I gave up the high P teat long ago.  Most of my foods are low P like a Peters 25-5-15.  Also high P foods contribute to long internodes, legginess.  Most blame it on too much N.  Not so.

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: September 19, 2021, 08:09:40 PM »
I gave up the high P teat long ago.  Most of my foods are low P like a Peters 25-5-15.  Also high P foods contribute to long internodes, legginess.  Most blame it on too much N.  Not so.

Thanks Mark, but do you think a low P will work for me with that kind of pH and 90% calcium. I'm still currently at the stage of getting seedlings established.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: September 20, 2021, 03:11:09 PM »

Thanks Mark, but do you think a low P will work for me with that kind of pH and 90% calcium. I'm still currently at the stage of getting seedlings established.

High P foods can induce micros deficiencies.  Seedlings need plenty of N, not P.

CarloGolfer

• North Port , FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: September 20, 2021, 06:31:09 PM »
Lots of flies and eggs. Are these bad? Nothing to worry about? This is my Glenn mango. It seems to be frozen in time. It appeared to be about to put out a big flush, but the little nubs have been the same for at least a month
 Meanwhile all my other trees are pushing like crazy and have no flies.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: September 20, 2021, 09:04:23 PM »
Probably mango-scale eggs.   
Har

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: September 23, 2021, 01:06:45 PM »
Agree with Har, those look like eggs.  Hard to beat a thorough spray of Bonide All Seasons Hort. oil.  If I have a pest like mealybugs (which I did) I add 1 tsp/gal. of Bifen to it.  For the organic purists bifenthrin and permethrin and their sista products are about as non toxic to animals as it gets.  However they'll knock down a big yellow grasshopper within a minute.

CarloGolfer

• North Port , FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: September 23, 2021, 04:56:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I'll grab the product on my way home. Have a nice evening!

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: September 24, 2021, 01:50:15 PM »
I'm confused. Does this look like a disease or a nutritional issue please.

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: October 01, 2021, 10:47:52 AM »
What do you think about this combo please. (EDTA Micros)

N-   P-    K-   Mg-  S-  Z-    Mn
17- 12-  12-  3.8- 13- 0.3- 0.2

« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 11:03:14 AM by mangoba »

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: October 01, 2021, 08:38:37 PM »
If the soil isn't already high in Ca, B, and Fe, you will also need to add those.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: October 01, 2021, 08:48:47 PM »
Those leaves probably have a total-salts burn;  however, they could have some kind of powdery mildew.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk