Author Topic: What avocado cultivar is this?  (Read 5989 times)

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
What avocado cultivar is this?
« on: June 15, 2014, 11:39:10 AM »
The fruit is small and has firmer texture and stronger flavor than another ones in Taiwan. Very tasty for me.
The label shows" just ripe, west pak".

How about sowing the seeds or need a graft tree?

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 12:45:06 PM by fruithunter »
Rock

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Re: What avocado cultivar is this?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 05:23:14 PM »
Looks like a Hass or very close family related.
Forget about the seed. You need a grafted tree ans probably it will not do well in Thailand.
That beer and avocado combination looks really good.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 08:24:04 AM »
Looks like a Hass or very close family related.
Forget about the seed. You need a grafted tree ans probably it will not do well in Thailand.
That beer and avocado combination looks really good.

Carlos,
Thanks for telling me the variety. Taiwan is a small country, not as large as Thailand but many people get confused Taiwan with Thailand because of identical pronunciation or spelling. As a vegetarian, I often have a avocado with a cup of drink for breakfast. This makes me energetic.
Rock

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 12:31:59 PM »
It looks like a CA Hass type (West Pak, distributes California, Peru, of Chile avocados). It may be Lamb Hass, the season is June.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 02:13:21 PM »
they are hass avocado, looks good with nice yellow fresh.

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 04:17:07 PM »
Hi, I had a very similar one some days ago, for sure it should be hass... I read in this forum that from 20 seedlings, 1 could be good as the parent (maybe could be more than just 5%?)... but, anyway, I cant buy grafted avocadoes here in Argentina, so I am sowing hass seeds and waiting...

it's an incredible food! I would eat it 3 or 4 days a week
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 10:28:19 PM »
The "4225" PLU code says it is a Haas.

http://www.plucodes.com/PLUdetails.aspx?id=163&s=4
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 08:31:12 PM »
Thank you everyone. Now I know this is hass which is worth growing it.
Rock

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 10:18:41 PM »

Avocados are not "true to seed"... meaning the seed may produce a seed that is very different from the fruit.  The resulting tree might not even bear fruit for 20+ year.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 10:49:49 PM »

Avocados are not "true to seed"... meaning the seed may produce a seed that is very different from the fruit.  The resulting tree might not even bear fruit for 20+ year.

It's so risky to take over 20 years to wait for an indefinite fruit that I wii try to seek hass scions.
Thank you Mr. Clean.
Rock

Ed of Somis

• Ventura Co, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 11:10:21 PM »
Growing seedlings is really for the grower who wants to experiment and discover a brand new variety. This is exactly how it is done. The seedling is never a clone to the mother tree...and is seldom comparable in fruit quality. Trying to ID an avocado via the internet is equally impossible. There are simply way to many "like varieties" to even venture a guess. A few varieties are extremely different...and might make the guessing game a bit easier. Hass is not one of those.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 11:22:46 AM »
Growing seedlings is really for the grower who wants to experiment and discover a brand new variety. This is exactly how it is done. The seedling is never a clone to the mother tree...and is seldom comparable in fruit quality. Trying to ID an avocado via the internet is equally impossible. There are simply way to many "like varieties" to even venture a guess. A few varieties are extremely different...and might make the guessing game a bit easier. Hass is not one of those.

I have "heard" that the research/development staff at U. of Cal. Riverside might plant 1,000 seedlings and out of those perhaps only 10 are worth further review for possible commercial use.

IOW, don't reinvent the wheel.  :D  BUT, most of the best avocados are from such chance seedlings, like Hass.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 11:24:30 AM »
... but, anyway, I cant buy grafted avocadoes here in Argentina, so I am sowing hass seeds and waiting...

Why is that?  Legal thing in order to protect some big conglomerate avocado producer?

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 11:18:12 AM »
You might research whether your climate is closer to California's (relatively cool and dry) or Florida's (warm and wet).  The Haas fruits well in California, but does not do well in Florida.  Not much fun to plant an ornamental fruit tree (bears no fruit or drops all fruit).
www.FLMangos.com

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 11:29:38 AM »
Just plant it and top work it when you get your hands on some scion wood.
Shane

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 08:29:44 AM »
I'm so lucky to get some grafted hass here. It's a rare variety here because fruit farmers are not willing to grow it. Although it has excellent taste and texture, the much smaller fruit is not to farmer's profit, so to speak, farmers here prefer large and prolific cultivar. 
The texture of hass is much firmer and the flavor is stronger than any other varieties in Taiwan. I can have the hass fruit out of hand, unlike the varieties here which are usually used to make milkshake. I wonder if there is any large fruit with firmer texture and stronger flavor in the world.
Rock

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 08:47:08 AM »
Rock hass is just about the most common avocado everywhere else. The one in the picture looks like a common hass. Fruit are smaller with a bigger seed in hot climates and hass have bigger fruit with smaller seeds in cooler places within their tolerance.There are many with taste as good, flesh as firm and even bigger fruit. People on the forum could name dozens that maybe are not in Taiwan. The usual way to use them in most places is not in drinks but in salads, on toast with pepper, salt and lime, on sandwiches and in guacamole.
Many types can produce 10 tonnes/ha so should be attractive for farmers.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 09:30:03 AM »
I picked up an avocado from the market this week that clocked over 1.5kg and about 9". The grower said it was a 'Butternut'. Anyone have any info about them? He said they were South American stock.

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 11:06:07 AM »
Rock hass is just about the most common avocado everywhere else. The one in the picture looks like a common hass. Fruit are smaller with a bigger seed in hot climates and hass have bigger fruit with smaller seeds in cooler places within their tolerance.There are many with taste as good, flesh as firm and even bigger fruit. People on the forum could name dozens that maybe are not in Taiwan. The usual way to use them in most places is not in drinks but in salads, on toast with pepper, salt and lime, on sandwiches and in guacamole.

Wow!! It's surprising that avocado can be eaten in different ways. I guess there must be recipes for avocado in Australia. People here are set in their ways to make avocado into drink.  Somebody seriously told me that there is one avocado variety which tastes sweet. I asked many people but no one could confirm what it is.
Rock

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 11:16:39 AM »

Wow!! It's surprising that avocado can be eaten in different ways. I guess there must be recipes for avocado in Australia. People here are set in their ways to make avocado into drink.  Somebody seriously told me that there is one avocado variety which tastes sweet. I asked many people but no one could confirm what it is.

Avocados varieties like Reed are more fit for smoothies and shakes.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.