Author Topic: Ice cream bean nodulation outside of the tropics  (Read 2134 times)

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Ice cream bean nodulation outside of the tropics
« on: April 19, 2015, 04:28:50 PM »
A couple of years back I had been wondering whether Ice cream bean is capable of fixing nitrogen outside of the tropics/native regions given that it wouldn't have access to the normal symbiotic bacteria.  To test this out, last year I got some Inga spectabilis seeds from Oscar and inoculated them upon planting with a mix of two standard commercial bean/pea inoculants (both from groworganic.com -- one was a misc N-fixing inoculant and the other a cow pea inoculant).  I planted in good potting soil.

And the result appears to be, yes, they can fix nitrogen when given these sorts of standard inoculants!

Inga spectabilis is not well suited to my climate, so it grows very slowly (unlike Norman's Inga, of which I have two now and grows quite fast). I pulled up one of the seedlings and the nodules are clearly visible.  (The plant was in a windy spot and wasn't doing well, so it was worth pulling up.)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 04:32:19 PM by barath »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Ice cream bean nodulation outside of the tropics
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 06:58:42 PM »
That's interesting!

Thanks for sharing!

I've never noticed the nodules

Btw, treesnmore has an inga tree worth growing!  I have to pester him to see if I can get him to send me a box of fruit....they looked just like the fruits I had years ago from a TX nursery, but were much sweeter and easier to eat (less cottony)...I planted a bunch of seeds!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 08:27:37 PM »
I would guess the ingas would nodulate even without the inoculants. But you can experiment with that to find out if it's really necessary? Maybe you just get more and bigger nodules after innoculating? Ingas will nodulate when quite small so you can find out quite easy
FIY once you get an Inga growing that has nodulated you can just use some of the soil around that plant to innoculate other plants. . BTW your plant leaves look nutrient deficient, too yellowish.
Here is a photo of an Inga plant i transplanted with nodules attached:
Oscar

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 09:53:02 PM »
Good idea -- I'll try checking some of the newer Ingas I started that I didn't inoculate to see if they nodulate.  And eventually I should do a side-by-side comparison.

This one plant was one of the less healthy of the bunch (probably due to its location right in the path of cold wind), so I stopped caring for it a couple of months back and that probably worsened its nutrient deficiency.

I wonder if Ingas produce fix more nitrogen when they have the "right" symbiotic bacteria vs. these generic bacteria.  I guess that's a study for some serious botanist...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 10:24:50 PM »
Barath, about your queries about which ingas do best in cooler climates, you need to look for ingas originationg in southernmost Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay. There are plenty of these as there are between 250-300 species, depending on which author you consult. You can see the origin of each species in a book that is a monograph on Ingas by T. Pennington.
As a tangent, it's interesting to note that the inga genus has more species in danger of extinction than almost any other tropical fruit.
Oscar

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 10:51:22 PM »
Barath, about your queries about which ingas do best in cooler climates, you need to look for ingas originationg in southernmost Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay. There are plenty of these as there are between 250-300 species, depending on which author you consult. You can see the origin of each species in a book that is a monograph on Ingas by T. Pennington.
As a tangent, it's interesting to note that the inga genus has more species in danger of extinction than almost any other tropical fruit.

Definitely.  I actually received seeds of Inga uruguayensis from a tree in Montevideo a couple of weeks back and I think one may be germinating :)  I'm looking forward to trying it out to see how it does in Northern California.  (Supposedly it can handle down to -4 C.)  Folks in local CRFG circles also have referred to a cold-tolerant (highland?) species, Inga affinis, but apparently nobody has been able to find seeds for it.

I didn't know that Inga is threatented.  Hopefully folks like the Inga Foundation can help prevent that!  (And, if these trials of cold-hardy Inga go well, perhaps we can use it for reforestation in subtropical areas as well.)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:57:37 PM by barath »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 12:29:13 AM »

Definitely.  I actually received seeds of Inga uruguayensis from a tree in Montevideo a couple of weeks back and I think one may be germinating :)  I'm looking forward to trying it out to see how it does in Northern California.  (Supposedly it can handle down to -4 C.)  Folks in local CRFG circles also have referred to a cold-tolerant (highland?) species, Inga affinis, but apparently nobody has been able to find seeds for it.

I didn't know that Inga is threatented.  Hopefully folks like the Inga Foundation can help prevent that!  (And, if these trials of cold-hardy Inga go well, perhaps we can use it for reforestation in subtropical areas as well.)

List of 82 inga species threatened:
Inga allenii
Inga amboroensis
Inga andersonii
Inga approximata
Inga aptera
Inga arenicola
Inga augusti
Inga balsapambensis
Inga bella
Inga bicoloriflora
Inga bijuga