Author Topic: Why and when did you start collecting rare fruit.  (Read 12925 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Why and when did you start collecting rare fruit.
« on: May 15, 2015, 08:25:11 PM »
In my case , when I started hearing about the Y2K in the beginning of the nineties , remember , computers were gonna crash and distribution of food may have become a problem for obvious reasons , I decided they’re not gonna get me I’ll start growing my own . Citrus , mango , papaya , avocados , sapotes , annonas etc are plentiful here and cheap so I wanted something other people didn’t have .
In those days I had a good paying real job so since I couldn’t find anything here I started to travel anytime I could get away to tropical places all over and filled my pockets with seed . Soon it became an obsession !!!! I wanted to grow them all ....and bought more land....
I started with Eugenia uniflora and have been selecting these , to end up with some great ones . Then came the Artocarpus , Garcinias , all the other Myrtaceae’s ...and again I had to buy more land ( did this 4 times , now I cannot ad anymore unless I buy someplace else )
My wife started to complain that all the vacations were fruit related , so I had to be more subtle in picking the next....( great shopping in Kuala Lumpur , she liked that ....) Then she wanted to see colors , so just to be a nice guy I started with Heliconias ...this is eating up 1/4 of my available planting area , but I must say it brings me more $$ than the fruits .
I have a sign in my office that says : NO MORE SEEDS .
I break my rules all the time .....

Looking forward to read your story .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Re: Why and when did you start collecting rare fruit.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 09:11:40 PM »
I got into it for the same reason but for the next crisis, not the ones we already had (or didn't). Started changing the landscape as part of building an underground hideout in the backyard. Figured I'd do edibles as I replanted. Never did the hideout, but have a yard full of fruiting trees, bushes and vines I can graze off of if the SHTF.
Shane

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 09:20:16 PM »
lol...thank goodness for the y2k scare!

it scared you into assembling one of the best fruit collections in the world!

I started growing stuff gradually...when I first got my own yard to plant in (as a renter, back around 2003).... I remember the first fruit I harvested from a tree was a celeste fig, in a pot.

I used to be obsessed with natives, and foraging for food, then it evolved into a tropical fruit addiction (quite naturally because all of the best stuff comes from the tropics, where all of the diversity is)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 09:32:40 PM »
It started for me about five years ago. At that point I was already a pescatarian, and was looking into growing my own food ( fresh produce is also obscenely overpriced in Australia and this no doubt factored into the deal). I realized I had 3 acres of land which wasn't doing anything other than looking pretty, and started to investigate my aspect, climate, and what could feasibly grown in my locale. I had also started looking into the ecology of meat and food production, and has horrified by what I found, and wanted to find a way off the merry-go-round of suffering, cruelty and environmental degradation caused by these industries.

I began ripping out the exotic ornamentals on my property and generally beating back the jungle which could neither feed me, nor native animals--and I have followed this rule until this day. If it doesn't do either of those things, it gets no space in my patch. I would estimate that I have personally removed and relocated over 100 cubic meters with nothing but a pick and shovel over that time. It's given me a kind of musculature that I doubt I could have achieved with traditional workouts, and has kept me fit generally. I also think it is good to do physically demanding work--for both body and mind. Also, I think I was tired of doing nothing other than working with words. I wanted to create and be involved in something practical.

In the beginning, I had very little understanding of even the basics--things like soil structure, PH, drainage, nutrients etc. Generally what I would do would be to dig a big ass hole, and fill it with potting mix. I lost a lot of good (and some quite expensive) trees through ignorance. As time has gone on, I've learned how to plant in clay, what mulch to use for different species, and most importantly, how much of the brutal Australian sun these different species can handle.

Anyway, I've always been quite good at researching things, and I put this skill to task. I spent probably a year just researching fruit species, and participating in enthusiast forums trying to benefit from the experience of other Australian growers. Gradually over time, I managed to narrow down the selection to trees that met the criteria of high survivability, quality, and production. Hundreds of different species have passed through my possession over time, and very few  things make the cut. I will not grow something based on its rarity; it has to be good.

Probably the most significant part of the process was beginning to trade. This has afforded me some truly fantastic fruits. In the beginning, I was clueless when it came to quarantine, labeling, and proper packing. However the main issue I has was that I simply didn't have anything good to trade with international growers. The person who really helped me overcome that barrier was Mike T, who I'd met two years in or so. He saw me struggling with sourcing species and varieties of things growers in the US and Asia wanted,  took pity on me and basically just gave me a bunch of things to get me started without asking anything in return, and knowing that I wouldn't be able to to pay him back. That's an important distinction to make.

As things developed, and I started successfully getting more packages from overseas and accruing more knowledge about cultivars, it began to occur to me how bereft of many good species and varieties Australia truly was, so my endeavors turned to towards improving the standard of what is available in my country. And so a lot of the time I put in now is directed towards this; I try and import large numbers of seeds, and disperse them around. Sometimes it bites me on the arse--people just grow them out, and hold on to them forever without sending propagation material to others when requested. They're the sort of people who want exclusivity...who will not share anything purely because they want to have something nobody else has. I do my best to systemically exclude them from my dealings as much as possible.

As time went on, I started developing a niche interest in dragonfruit. It took me about a year, but I ultimately managed to source all the good American and Mexican reds and purples. Then, (and this is where I'm currently at) I started moving into opuntia and other fruiting cacti.

In the future, I am considering starting a small dragonfruit farm of a few hundred plants, and plan to make confectionery etc out of these fruits as well as those of prickly pears etc. Perhaps I will also sell Abius and sapotes in limited quantities to markets.

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 09:37:24 PM »
In the early 1970's I did sales for my dads and my nursery. I travel the east coast of Fla. I went to a lot of places that had fruit trees with fruit that I had never seen.  I was hooked. Anything I could buy or trade came home with me. Now on my own land I have maybe 300 trees and the nursery has over 2000 to sell.
Mike

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 10:05:44 PM »
In US I don't know how many people are interested in rare fruits. Most European origin Americans that I know don't care much for these fruits. So my question, if I might, is that for those members that are European origin, what made you interested in the fruits? For me coming from Vietnam it's natural.

I was LOL when reading the Y2K scare that caused some members with great genuine concerns. I never took it serious at all -- I was and I am a computer engineer.  There Must be many people with serious concerns I bet, from reading a few samples here. I wonder what was happening on the stock market during the period -- crashed?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 10:11:09 PM »
i think you'd be surprised how many people of European descent are obsessed with fruit trees!

what drives them?  the same natural instincts that you have...the desire to eat a variety of delicious fruits!

In US I don't know how many people are interested in rare fruits. Most European origin Americans that I know don't care much for these fruits. So my question, if I might, is that for those members that are European origin, what made you interested in the fruits? For me coming from Vietnam it's natural.

I was LOL when reading the Y2K scare that caused some members with great genuine concerns. I never took it serious at all -- I was and I am a computer engineer.  There Must be many people with serious concerns I bet, from reading a few samples here. I wonder what was happening on the stock market during the period -- crashed?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 10:56:48 PM »
My parents were drunks/drugees.  So, I didn't eat much as a child.  When I was about 8, my parents split and I ended up with my father and my starvation got worse.  I started coming up with ideas for obtaining food on my own.

I watched my neighbor, who was a farmer, plant fields and orchards, and I replicated what I saw near the woods of our property.  I planted a garden and fruit trees.  I also took a high powered pellet gun and became quite the shot on doves, squirrels and rabbits.  Went fishing, turtling and frog gigging as well--didn't know I was only supposed to eat the frog's legs lol.

Anyhow, by age 10, I became more successful with my harvests and began bringing in more fruit and veges than I could eat.  My neighborhood friends would come around and help me.

Eventually, my father found my mini farm and I thought I was going to be a dead kid.  Instead, he said nothing to me about it.  He simply cut down 1 row of my corn and plant his pot plants behind my other corn rows.  *shakes head*

Anyhow, such was life back in those days.  I'm sure some of you remember.

Either way, being a survivalist taught me valuable lessons and awarded me the ability and desire to have a green thumb.  I have grown my obsession more and more over the years.  Of course, now I'm all about having diverse varieties grown at their hardiness limits.

Got to push the envelop or it isn't worth the efforts.  ;)

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 11:45:07 PM »
For me it started as a desire to grow mangos that reminds me of my childhood growing up in taiwan.  Mangos in the grocery store in the us is just plain terrible.  Then i discovered this forum in my pursuit for growing good mangos and now my wife says no more fruit trees
Robert

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 11:50:44 PM »
3 years ago or what i call the dawn of a new era, something clicked when i saw you can buy chocolate trees and all different kinds of trees on ebay which i never even considered. A night on the internet and the finding of this forum, a quick look around outside, saw ground with no tree and the rest is history.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 12:50:37 AM »
Mine experience started a little later in life, I went back home to michagin went to one of my uncles friends farm and found he was growing all sorts of exotic trees in a huge self made greenhouse. He was showing me all these trees from all over the world he had been collecting and fruiting in his greenhouse shared his fruit with me and I was hooked! So over the last 2 years or so I have started my own collection ( not worth of most of yours!) but a start and I would like to thank all of the people on this forum for all there help and advice! Without you guys I would be more lost then I am today! And the quest continues..........
Joe

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 01:49:56 AM »
Thanks for sharing the stories; I moved to Uganda back in 2003 after working with ICT in Asia - my wife and I had purchased a quarter of an acre plot, and I wanted to grow unusual tropical fruits on it; no need to plant a mango as they can be bought everywhere when in season - I still don't own a mango tree by the way.
The first species I got seeds from was Averrhoa carambola (starfruit), bought over the counter back in Denmark and it took off very rapidly from there; I started trading rare African species with fellow collectors like Sadhu, Anestor, Carlos, Luc, Oscar and others within the following years - back in the old yahoo forum I was the only 'African' member for years and most of the indigenous species from East africa were not cultivated outside the region. I'm now "stuck" with a much larger land area as the increasing number of trees couldn't fit on the compound. So I got plenty of space :-)

I'm a biologist, but professionally worked in other areas and collecting fruit trees is my life line back to the roots. I'm funny enough not much of a fruit eater, this is strictly due to my scientific interest of growing them, but also a genuine interest in spreading the knowledge of rare fruits.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:52:34 AM by Soren »
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 03:33:54 AM »
My interest in tropical fruits started mostly in 1989 when i moved here to Hawaii. My aim was to live off the land as much as possible, and feed myself and family. Prior to that i had a landscaping business in San Diego and specialized in edible landscaping. So it was natural when in the tropics to grow tropical fruits. I can't say i think tropical fruit is in any way better than temperate. I love peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries, etc. just as much as tropical fruits. The true superiority of tropical fruits in my opinion is in their diversity, so many hundreds more than temperate fruits. And also the fact that they can be grown here year round. Cherries are great, but how many months of the year can they be produced? Here you can eat tropical fruits, and a very good assortment of them, year round. Being vegetarian, and vegan for my first few years here, this was a big part of the attraction. But just as big a reason for moving here was getting away from big cities. I love living in the peaceful country side and eating the fruits of my labor. I didn't start out as a collector but more as a homesteader. I was excited to find out how many fruits i'd never even heard of could potentially be grown here. But when i went around to exisiting nurseries i was very disappointed in how few of them could be obtained here. So i started collecting from different outside sources to plant at my farm. My excess plants i would sell. And that's how it all started out.
Oscar

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 07:36:46 AM »
Growing up in the keys, eating fruit from the store sucked, but a lot of people grew tropical fruit (Guava, mango, lychee, bananas, ect...) and my mom would bring them home. So when I met my wife I started showing her what tropical fruit should taste like (she is from New York) and she became hooked as well. My collection started while I was living in a trailer with almost no yard, so the little land I had I planted bananas, then I started growing stuff in pots. When we got our house, we spent every extra $$ on fruit trees, and now I don't have any yard left.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 09:57:57 AM »
I forgot to mention that my grandfather was a farmer back home in Belgium ages ago , plowing the land with those huge Belgian horses and my grandma on my father’s side had the most incredible orchard with all kinds of cold climate fruits , so I must have it in the blood....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 11:18:14 AM »
I forgot to mention that my grandfather was a farmer back home in Belgium ages ago , plowing the land with those huge Belgian horses and my grandma on my father’s side had the most incredible orchard with all kinds of cold climate fruits , so I must have it in the blood....

my last name is Shafran, which comes from the word Saffron....my ancestors were jews who dealt with expensive edible plants.  ;D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
My collection pretty much started when I joined the California Rare fruit Growers back in 1997 ever since I've been collecting rare plants. We had moved from L.A. in 1976 to 2.4 acre land on Central Coast of California because we wanted to raise or kids up in Country. We built our house and planted a orchard which today is much expanded and have lost many plants trying to push the zone envelope but now that my sub-tropical area trees get older and I have under story to plant in it is and adventure still to push the edge of what can be grown here. I've learned a lot being a member of this forum and CRFG.  I must say that I also have learned much from my friend and mentor Jack Swords who has turned me on to many tropical plants and given me great growing advice for our area he lives only about 3-miles inland for me.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:40:23 AM by ScottR »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 11:38:30 AM »
My collection pretty much started when I joined the California Rare fruit Growers back in 1997 ever since I've been collecting rare plants. We had moved from L.A. in 1976 to 2.4 acre land on Central Coast of California because we wanted to raise or kids up in Country. We built our house and planted a orchard which today is much expanded and have lost many plants trying to push the zone envelope but now that my sub-tropical area trees get older and I have under story to plant in it is and adventure still to push the edge of what can be grown here. I've learned a lot being a member of this forum and CRFG.

Damn!
I just realized you are zone 8b!
some of the trees you have are impressive!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 11:45:32 AM »
Yea Adam, it's a challenge for sure but being retired now for ten years sure has helped but I sure can't work all day long any more like I used too especially when the wind howls here which it has been doing in afternoons! :P

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 12:04:28 PM »
I've enjoyed fruit ever since being able to walk and pick raspberries from our backyard in Saint Paul, Minn.  I became interested in the tropics and tropical fruits after my parents bought a condo on Maui back in the 80's.  I was working for an airline at the time and was able to travel about cheaply. So, I started looking for Hawaiian land of my own, which led to the only reasonably priced land in the state- windward Big Island.  The simple, self reliant lifestyle found living off the grid and growing food also has great appeal to me. Also, an escape from the dark, cold winters of Alaska- where I still primarily live- is a nice treat.
Shunyam Nirav's "Hawaii Organic Growing Guide" was an inspiration for me back in the 90's.   After reading his accounts of durian and mangosteen, among others, I wanted to grow them.  After eating durian for the first time, I decided it would be the star of my orchard.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2015, 12:42:15 PM »

I am Euro-American via Russia, Poland and Ukraine. You are correct about Euro-Americans in Florida. Many will not touch a mango. People get spoiled due to cheap energy making for cheap transportation. So you can live in Florida and eat northern fruits like apples and pears etc etc. And never touch a mango. America is rich so you can do this these days.

But go back in time to the 1930s. Apples must have been a luxury in Florida. You either ate the native fruits or did not eat much fruit at all. There are some exceptions but the prime breeders, grafters, sellers of tropical fruit trees in Florida have been and are Euro-Americans so at least some are into it :)   Many houses here have one backyard or front yard mango tree for decoration if nothing else
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 12:47:02 PM by zands »

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2015, 12:48:26 PM »
As far as the Y2K scare went... without lots of ammo trees would have been stripped by everyone who couldn't or wouldn't plan, AND you'd probably be dead trying to defend fruit anyway.

But, I'm in the U.S where the "What's yours is mine" mentality has grown faster than my trees so maybe this wouldn't have been a problem in other countries where starving masses would respect the rights of the owners of trees full of nutrients and would rather die of starvation than steal or murder for life itself... :-)

Anyway...

In my case I started planting within weeks of my divorce. My ex didn't like and wouldn't have fruit trees... they made a mess, took time and care and drew vermin, both two and four legged species.

I've always wanted tropical fruit trees and buying a house and not living in a rental was my impetus to get started. As my taste experiences grew beyond mango, banana and pineapple I joined a few forums to see if I could have success with anonna (which I failed at previously years ago)  and it spilled all over my yard from there.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 12:34:14 AM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2015, 05:00:10 PM »
If you live in a piss poor climate for growing tropical fruit, don't marry someone from a tropical fruit country!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2015, 06:02:33 PM »
I've enjoyed fruit ever since being able to walk and pick raspberries from our backyard in Saint Paul, Minn.  I became interested in the tropics and tropical fruits after my parents bought a condo on Maui back in the 80's.  I was working for an airline at the time and was able to travel about cheaply. So, I started looking for Hawaiian land of my own, which led to the only reasonably priced land in the state- windward Big Island.  The simple, self reliant lifestyle found living off the grid and growing food also has great appeal to me. Also, an escape from the dark, cold winters of Alaska- where I still primarily live- is a nice treat.
Shunyam Nirav's "Hawaii Organic Growing Guide" was an inspiration for me back in the 90's.   After reading his accounts of durian and mangosteen, among others, I wanted to grow them.  After eating durian for the first time, I decided it would be the star of my orchard.

Oh that's funny. That's the same book that inspired me when i  first moved here. That book has been long out of print. I later got to meet Shunyam Nirav in Thailand and we travelled around and ate lots of durians. He had a great website called Durian Palace. Unfortunately when he passed away a few years ago the website went down also. He was a real durian fanatic and aficionado, and all around nice guy. RIP.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2015, 06:10:25 PM »

None of my ancestors ever farmed. Maybe if i go back 1000 years in my genealogy i can find someone who farmed. When i told my family i wanted to give up my university studies and intellectual life and buy land to farm they looked at me like had just gone insane. They gradually got used to the idea....but still think i'm a bit strange.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk