Author Topic: The Amazing Dragon Fruit House  (Read 2526 times)

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
The Amazing Dragon Fruit House
« on: November 01, 2015, 08:49:04 PM »
The other day I was driving my car in Garden Grove when I passed this house on a residential neighborhood on a major street in Orange County. I could not believe it as mature dragon fruit plants were around the entire perimeter of the house including the entire front yard and side yard. I returned today (Sunday) to take some photos and see if I could meet with the owner. Only the back yard, which is cemented in for a patio, did not have dragon fruit. 4 X 4 treated lumber was spaced about six feet going around the entire house and there were 3-4 rows back to back in the front yard. They were climbing on two dead palm tree trunks as well as sharing a living tree as you can see in the photo. The gentleman was very nice but spoke broken English. He indicated he has 22 different cultivars on this property. To me it looked like about 60-80 separate dragon fruit plants. There were hundreds of small potted plants he was also growing. I believe he sells cutting as a small business so I might go back later and ask for his top 3-4 varieties. He did indicate to me his personal favorite was a particular white variety that is very sweet. That is interesting as I always thought the Red dragon fruit has the best flavor. Everybody has a preference and that was his.

Side View of the House     

Growing on a Psalm Tree

The Proud Owner and Gardner

Climbing on Psalm Trees

Street View #1

Street View #2

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 09:32:58 PM by Johnny Eat Fruit »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: The Amazing Dragon Fruit House
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 12:12:29 AM »
Nice job documenting this Dragon fruit grower and his amazing usage of residential space!

This is a great post, very inspirational, you are like a news reporter!

This guy you found is a rockstar
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 12:45:49 AM »
There's a high likelihood of encountering a red light at that intersection. I've passed by that house years ago and it looked the same. Good to know he has different varieties. It's a Vietnamese area and I incorrectly thought they didn't care much about dragonfruit varieties other than self-fruitful giant white. Maybe it was because the plants were so high that I thought he couldn't possibly hand pollinate for all of them.

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 01:30:15 AM »
I pass by that house all the time when I go for dim sum.  He take pretty good care and pruning of the dragon fruit vines to keep good heights.  I don't know if he hand pollinates but I have seen ladders for maintainence during flower season.  He has a pretty good trellis system.  I don't think my dragon fruit will ever look that good.
Robert

Zulfikar Arsa

• Young Farmer
    • Bogor, West Java, Indonesia
    • View Profile
    • duniabuahnusantara.blogspot.co.id
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 04:23:44 AM »
Wow, amazing Dragon fruit...

I am from Indonesia, i never see like that in here...

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 08:35:37 AM »
Thats pretty cool. I put a cutting next to my coconut tree this year so hopefully it turns into something like this.

Grouchomax

• USA, CA, Pasadena, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 09:43:56 AM »
That is quite impressive.  Johnny.

Is there a chance I can have this gentleman's contact info so I can perhaps purchase a few rare varieties that are hard to find in local nurseries?

Thanks...

Jay

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 01:51:28 PM »
Sorry I do not have any contact Info as he does not speak much English. If your in the area you can drop by and take a look. He is just 1 block south of the 22 fwy on Magnolia Street.

Johnny

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 02:14:57 PM »
Jay, I PM ed you with a more local source. This guy in Garden Grove seems to have more varieties though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk