Author Topic: Wong Mango Farms.  (Read 2478 times)

Stan

Wong Mango Farms.
« on: July 18, 2016, 10:41:45 PM »
I thought a Mango farm not in the tropics is always fun to see.  I tried search to see if this was posted before..just hung on me. Oh well,I guess its not lethal death if this was posted before.
Very clear vid also. The trunks on those drip fed tree's are impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeMz57ZIcqY

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Re: Wong Mango Farms.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 12:43:34 AM »
Stan - it was a couple years ago I had Debra and her husband over to my house in Palm Springs to
taste a couple Lemon Zest mangoes, which they'd never had before, and they liked them.  But it seems
her farm is focused on Valencia Pride.  My LZ tree this year produced about 30 mangoes, and my larger,
older VP produced about 10....so to me, here in the desert, the LZ is the better tree....just my observation.

Also, sent her an email to come to another mango tasting at my house this year but haven't heard back,
but I imagine, especially this time of year, she and her group are very busy....

Gary

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 12:52:26 AM »
Stan - it was a couple years ago I had Debra and her husband over to my house in Palm Springs to
taste a couple Lemon Zest mangoes, which they'd never had before, and they liked them.  But it seems
her farm is focused on Valencia Pride.  My LZ tree this year produced about 30 mangoes, and my larger,
older VP produced about 10....so to me, here in the desert, the LZ is the better tree....just my observation.

Also, sent her an email to come to another mango tasting at my house this year but haven't heard back,
but I imagine, especially this time of year, she and her group are very busy....

Gary

Gary, her trees look like they suffer some serious heat damage. I agree with you I would definitely change to LZ. Your LZ trees looked great and are delicious her VP are super mediocre.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 09:59:52 AM »
What about the mango orchard in the Coachella Valley that grows Keitt?
John

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 11:03:54 AM »
What about the mango orchard in the Coachella Valley that grows Keitt?

John this is a small orchard. Sun World is massive, largest mango orchard in the USA. The point being mango trees fry and many die even with shade cloth at 122f whoever says otherwise is a fool. Gary should post pix of the heat damage with 2 days at 120f. His poor choc anon looks like it bit the dust

Stan

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 07:55:30 PM »

Gary

I would guess Gary that its more marketing now. Anything with 'Valencia' in the name is going to be thought of as sweet to the consumer.. They also committed to  VP already.
Plus,they LOOK great. Lots of color. Again,what the public wants...

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 12:57:14 AM »
Agree Stan - they had to plant what they planted at the time they started this, and it looks like
it's been quite a few years for those trees... they do show suffering, like many of mine did
even after I shaded many of them.....luckily it's mostly new growth that fries....yeah, she's got
some tough old trees there!

Gary

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 10:47:42 AM »
But it seems
her farm is focused on Valencia Pride.

Ah, maybe that is the source of the Valencia Pride mangoes I saw for sale yesterday at a fancy grocery store in Malibu for $8 EACH!  I don't mind spending money on good fruit, but that was too much for me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk