Author Topic: Upgraded Greenhouse and 2016 Fruits  (Read 10680 times)

Tuantropical

• Fairfax, Virginia
    • View Profile
Re: Upgraded Greenhouse and 2016 Fruits
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2016, 09:35:20 AM »
Hi Mark,
         The sliding doors are on rollers on the bottom tracks, just like a typical patio door. Did you make the root-builder pot yourself?

Thanks,
Tuan

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2016, 09:43:22 AM »
Hi Mark,
         The sliding doors are on rollers on the bottom tracks, just like a typical patio door. Did you make the root-builder pot yourself?

Thanks,
Tuan

That's what I was afraid of.  Tuan, please don't take this the wrong way, I mean well, but if you don't maintain those tracks, keep them clean, vacuumed and free of dirt religiously, the rollers will wear out as well as the springs they're attached to.  Been there, done that.  Of course they were cheap builder sliding glass door I was working with too.  Nice thing is you can take them out and work on them which includes replacing the rollers.

The RootBuilder comes in a roll. You cut off as much as you want and splice the ends with cable ties.  When you want to expand you just add panels, I usually add about 3 or so. They finish out at 33" or so in diameter which takes almost a full bucket of soil of my compact utility tractor.

Tuantropical

• Fairfax, Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2016, 10:05:38 PM »
Thank you for the warning Mark. I will definitely try to keep them clean. Where can I buy the root-building system Mark?

Thanks,
Tuan

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2016, 07:58:35 AM »
Thank you for the warning Mark. I will definitely try to keep them clean. Where can I buy the root-building system Mark?

Thanks,
Tuan

Here -->  http://www.rootmaker.com/  They are have really jacked up the price since I ordered years ago.  Tell them you're commercial, try to bargain.  Use at least 5 heavy cable ties when you attach the ends and overlap about 2 nipples.

RootBuilder compared against other methods.  This guy has a lot of experiments that are down to earth - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utoejYSCHtQ

vstol

• 7b/8a border
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2016, 02:00:06 PM »
Is it heated? If so how? I'm in 7b and very curious because I'm planning my own greenhouse right now but not sure on energy costs.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2016, 08:42:49 AM »
Is it heated? If so how? I'm in 7b and very curious because I'm planning my own greenhouse right now but not sure on energy costs.

I have a large greenhouse and use a large Reznor propane heater.  If small you can get by with a non vented heater.  The C1 works great.  I did not supply it with fresh air.  You may have to in zone 7 depending on much it kicks on.  Most greenhouses leak enough to supply fresh air.  http://www.southernburner.com/Default.aspx
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 08:53:49 AM by Mark in Texas »

Tuantropical

• Fairfax, Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2016, 10:04:59 AM »
Public gas line is not available at where i live. Therefore, I am using a 10KW electric heater. Monthly cost is about $100 to $200 depending on outside temperature. I maintain inside temperature at 60 degree.

Good luck Vstol with your greenhouse.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2016, 11:13:45 AM »
Tuan, beautiful fruit and trees in your up graded G.H.thanks for sharing pic's 8)

Tuantropical

• Fairfax, Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2016, 02:08:13 PM »
Thanks Scott!

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2016, 08:50:01 AM »
Tuan, ever thought about propane?  I think you'll save a lot of money.  Right now propane is cheap. I'm paying $1.87/gallon delivered.  If you're on a lot the trucks have a very long roll of hose they can drag over to a 100 gal. upright tank.  Knowing Fairfax and codes they probably won't let you do it.  Aunt and Uncle lived in Vienna so I know the area a tad.  Uncle had Zales store at Tyson's Corner shopping center years ago.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 08:53:01 AM by Mark in Texas »

Tuantropical

• Fairfax, Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2016, 10:46:13 AM »
Thank you Mark. I had thought about it and did the calculation at the time of building my original greenhouse. I forgot the exact cost per gallon at the time, but I remember it wasn't a reasonable saving for me. I like the convenience of electric heater. Therefore, I decided to go for it.

Thanks Mark,
Anthan

Tuantropical

• Fairfax, Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2016, 05:09:28 PM »

Harvested the last Soursop yesterday. Weighted over 7 lb, the largest I ever touched. It tastes much better than the previous 5 fruits. Maybe being in ground helped the size and taste.

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
  • The philosopher of fruit
    • Marin, California, zones 9b and 10a (though I keep most plants in a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2016, 08:23:11 PM »
Do you have any seeds of the roseapple?
The hardest plants to grow are often those most worth growing.

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2016, 09:16:21 PM »
Great greenhouse! You've done a good job please keep updating this thread. I plan on doing something like this myself when I move to zone 7

With the sliding doors open does the greenhouse stay cool enough in the summer or is that why you are removing the roof?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 09:59:23 PM by forumfool »

Tuantropical

• Fairfax, Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2016, 08:35:07 AM »
@Garcinia:  I am sorry, I don't have the roseapple seed at the moment. The plant usually fruit during summer. If you still like some seed by then, I can send you some.
@Forumfool: The upgraded greenhouse was finished in the Fall this year. Therefore, it hasn't been through a summer yet. However, I planned to remove the roof so that the plants can expose to natural environment as much as possible.

Thanks all,
Tuan

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2016, 10:05:14 AM »
@Garcinia:  I am sorry, I don't have the roseapple seed at the moment. The plant usually fruit during summer. If you still like some seed by then, I can send you some.
@Forumfool: The upgraded greenhouse was finished in the Fall this year. Therefore, it hasn't been through a summer yet. However, I planned to remove the roof so that the plants can expose to natural environment as much as possible.

Thanks all,
Tuan

Can't wait for a summer report.  Va gets as hot as Texas sometimes so you will have those issues.  BTW, I use a polycarbonate covering, Palram SolarSoft 85 on the south wall, clear on the north wall and I get plenty of fruit.  Citrus production "gets out of hand" and the young avocado trees are really ramping up production, same with stuff like pineapples.

Being able to take that roof off is super.  ;)

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2019, 07:56:42 PM »
Bump....how is the greenhouse going!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk