Author Topic: Motherload at the Botanical Garden 8)  (Read 13665 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Motherload at the Botanical Garden 8)
« on: August 01, 2012, 01:36:13 PM »
Hi Fellow Members,

Been super busy these few days...So, I decided to visit the Botanical Garden to relax a bit ;) For doing this...I was handsomely rewarded 8) ;D...YUMMY ;)

Kei Apple-Dovyalis caffra

Harvest :o

Will produces a huge load of seedlings, to plant in every location I go...I want to spread this badboy throughout the Island and Porto Santo 8) It sure does sound crazy :o but i love this plant...Being a drought-tolerant fruit tree and tasty...is truly freak'n awesome ;D 8)

Adam, you are going to luv this 8)
Star anise flowering :o

Babaco

Grumichama/Grumixama

Flowered for the first time and I missed it :'( Can't wait to taste them fruits ;D

Mamay sapote....doing mighty fine!!! This looks promising 8) Can't wait to trial them in my orchard ;)

Boabab...Looking mighty sexy ;D

Carambola...also flowering for the first time 8)

Persimmon grown from seed...Will taste them in the fall and if they are great...will collect some material!

Date-plum-Diospyros lotus  8)

White Sapote

Sapodilla

Mango

Dwarf Guava

Turmeric

Yellow Mangosteen....way behind :o The tree in Funchal has alot of ripe fruits and also flowering again 8)

Watery Rose Apple(Jambu-Air)-Syzygium aqueum   8)

Hope everyone likes them pics :)

Take care,
Steven
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Motherload at the Botanical Garden 8)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 01:40:06 PM »
Great pics.

What does the kei apple taste like? It looks good.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 02:00:04 PM »
Great pics.

Hi Mura,
 :)
The fruit has a nice aroma(Fills the kitchen  8) )...the flavor is a bit hard to describe:o The juice has a sweet/sour yellow plum like flavor...but when you chew the fruit...it gets quite sour and has somewhat of a earthy/veggie after taste...which I find yummy ;D 
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 02:07:05 PM »
Great looking pics Steven, what do you do with them kei apples?  Jam or juice?

Like a really sour Carambola, but its fragrance is intoxicatingly beautiful.  I've had them from somewhat green to overripe and they all tasted nearly identical as far as acidic level.
Great pics.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 02:10:36 PM by Tim »
Tim

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 02:15:25 PM »
Hi Fellow Members,

Been super busy these few days...So, I decided to visit the Botanical Garden to relax a bit ;) For doing this...I was handsomely rewarded 8) ;D...YUMMY ;)

That fruit is pretty but WOW those are some serious thorns!!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 02:19:47 PM »
Hi Mura,
The fruit has a nice aroma(Fills the kitchen  8) )...the flavor is a bit hard to describe:o The juice has a sweet/sour yellow plum like flavor...but when you chew the fruit...it gets quite sour and has somewhat of a earthy/veggie after taste...which I find yummy ;D

That sounds like something I would enjoy. I think I may try and grow some here now. Do you know of any improved cultivars?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 02:28:11 PM »
Love the pictures, the kei apple looks very good.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 03:11:20 PM »
Great looking pics Steven, what do you do with them kei apples?  Jam or juice?

Like a really sour Carambola, but its fragrance is intoxicatingly beautiful.  I've had them from somewhat green to overripe and they all tasted nearly identical as far as acidic level.
Great pics.

Hi Tim,
You nailed it ;D In South African the Kei apple is commonly used for making jam and juice, or the fruit is diced and sugar is added. 8) I will try out the Kei apple juice, today :) Will report back ;)

I also like a sour ''Green'' Carambola...we usually get them from Malaysia...not cheap, though :o

Hi Fellow Members,

That fruit is pretty but WOW those are some serious thorns!!

Hi Marin,
Young Kei apple's are as thorny as hell :o But, when they reach adulthood, the thorns ''calm'' down. I didn't even dare to put my arm through, to harvest them fruits...only around the tree :o

Hi Mura,

That sounds like something I would enjoy. I think I may try and grow some here now. Do you know of any improved cultivars?
;D

No sorry...I will do some digging on this matter ;)

Love the pictures, the kei apple looks very good.

Hi Nullzero,
 :) sure does ;D
Time is like a river.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 04:04:18 PM »
Steven I have followed many rich veins back an rarely hit paydirt.Your urban foraging and hunting is working out pretty well but us fruit predators like to pull down big game like jackfruit once in a while.The keis look great.Sour carambola don't last long here unless they are a park tree.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 04:38:31 PM »
Jackwhisperer,

Nice pics! Thanks for taking the time to upload them for the rest of the world.

the star anise has brought me back from the dead!

My ghost definitely will haunt your threads.  ;D

When my post count reaches 2222  :-X  ;)

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 05:17:16 PM »
Great pics.

Let's say that the "scrotum berries" (Maclura tinctoria) I have planted next to the kei apple are almost finished,
wheres the kei apples are all lying on the ground. Not even the bugs seem to care for them... ;D ;D ;D

Kei apples smell very nice, but the skin of the fruit (and the flesh near the skin)
has a weird aftertaste that I can't stand. They are also rather tart.
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 05:27:26 PM »
Steven I have followed many rich veins back an rarely hit paydirt.Your urban foraging and hunting is working out pretty well but us fruit predators like to pull down big game like jackfruit once in a while.The keis look great.Sour carambola don't last long here unless they are a park tree.

Hi Mike,
Urban foraging is great here...Yesterday I found a Rose apple tree with round large fruits 8) located in the Zona Velha do Funchal(The old part of Funchal)  8) I will see if I can get some and share them pics here...

:'( That's truly unfair, Mike >:( You have the big five in your neck of the woods...I will spread them exotic fruit trees throughout the Island and in 10 years time....Europeans will flock by the hundreds to savour these delicacies grown in the Pearl of the Atlantic...This will be my mission, since my Island has such a great stable climate for growing them exotics. Wait and see ;)

Jackwhisperer,

Nice pics! Thanks for taking the time to upload them for the rest of the world.

the star anise has brought me back from the dead!

My ghost definitely will haunt your threads.  ;D

When my post count reaches 2222  :-X  ;)

Howdy Adam,
 :) It's always a pleasure to share them pics with them fruit loving fellow members :)

That story about Star taking 20 years to produce...is pure nonsense to discourage people that what to grow this plant...Don't give up, Buddy...Your seedlings will produce in no time ;)

That comment sent shivers down my spine :o My thread is going to be haunted :'(  ;D ;D

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 03:22:00 AM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 05:37:47 PM »
Jackwhisperer,

think more like Casper the friendly ghost.

BOO!

that's 2220  ;D :)

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 05:47:15 PM »
Great pictures!  You are might lucky to have a garden around with all those nice things to see/try.  Enjoy it!
How often do you go there to "relax"?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 05:52:35 PM »
Steven the big 5 could be more like the big 10 and you won't need 2020 vision for it to be high 5's all 'round.The emerald of the eastern atlantic, a fruit salad where east meets west sounds appealing.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 06:37:03 PM »
Hi Mura,

Murahilin, tt's mentioned in Lost Crops of Africa http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=11879&page=R1 that there is an improved cultivar from someone in California. I think Papaya Tree nursery. You can look in link i just gave. I've been trying to get that cultivar from them for years without any success.
Steven, thanks for all the photos. I just planted a bunch of seeds of kei apple and look forward to trying the fruit. I like the other dovyalis, like tropical apricot and ketembilla, so think i will also like kei apple. Not too happy about the thorns but willing to risk it for good fruits. Diospyros lotus looks interesting also. How does that taste?
Oscar

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 07:07:21 PM »
GREAT photos! Thanks for sharing  ;D

-Luke

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 08:04:53 PM »
Steven thanks for the cool pics but I must say that those kei apples are to sour for me but supposed to make great jam!I've got some older kei apples growing that I started from seed but no females they make great hedge. I wish I could like them more but not in this life time. ;)

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 09:26:58 PM »
Great photos. Thanks for sharing. All the fruit looks wonderful and tasty. Those thorns look like mini daggers to me!

Jackfruitwhisperer69 what do you mean by the thorns will calm down?

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 01:52:03 AM »
Thanks for the great photo tour steven!  Love seeing the fruiting kei apple.  Have one but it has yet to fruit ):  all the best. Dave

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 02:04:47 AM »
Great photos Steven!
Here in Uganda Kei apple is a common used hedge / fence in the drier parts of the country - you will also find it in the central and wetter region where I am staying, but then the fruiting is almost none-existing.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 02:36:03 AM »
Steven, i forgot to say in my last message, i don't think you missed whole grumichama harvest. Those flowers look like they will be swelling up. That is what they look like when petals fall off and right before they start to swell and form fruits. Here is the whole flowering and fruiting sequence in a collage:
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 05:29:34 AM »
Jackwhisperer,
think more like Casper the friendly ghost.
BOO!
that's 2220  ;D :)

:o It's already 2222....my thread is officially hauted ;D

Oh boy, Casper the friendly ghost is my favorite kiddy flick ;D Don't mind him, at all ;D

Great pictures!  You are might lucky to have a garden around with all those nice things to see/try.  Enjoy it!
How often do you go there to "relax"?

Hi Gwenn,

''Relax'' is code for fruit hunting ;D...When awesome fruits are in season, I'll harvest a bag full 8) People here don't know they are edible and If I don't harvest the fruits, they will all go to waste :o When i'm around...that won't happen ;D 

Steven the big 5 could be more like the big 10 and you won't need 2020 vision for it to be high 5's all 'round.The emerald of the eastern atlantic, a fruit salad where east meets west sounds appealing.

8) Sure does sound appeling :)...Tourism is the bread and butter of the Island and tropical fruits will be the next best thing. I will make sure of it ;) What's not going to be a easy task...is convincing people to grow tropical fruits and earn an income with these fruits :o They just wan't to grow bananas, passionfruit, tomato, sugarcane...It's time to look into the future :) Early this year, a Russian couple visited my orchard and was most interested in tasting some fruit i had in season...It was a great day and luckly they spoke English ;D They really enjoyed the guavas and strawberry guavas  8) The Island will have a bright future with them Tropical fruits 8)

Hi Mura,
Steven, thanks for all the photos. I just planted a bunch of seeds of kei apple and look forward to trying the fruit. I like the other dovyalis, like tropical apricot and ketembilla, so think i will also like kei apple. Not too happy about the thorns but willing to risk it for good fruits. Diospyros lotus looks interesting also. How does that taste?

Hi Oscar,
Awesome to hear that you are going to grow Kei apple 8) First taste of these wonderful fruit, you will forgot them thorns ;D

I did even know that Diospyros lotus was growing in the B.G, since the tree didn't have an ID. I really don't know how they taste like :'(...Will try them in late summer...will report back :)

GREAT photos! Thanks for sharing  ;D

-Luke

Hi Luke,
 :) My pleasure ;)

Steven thanks for the cool pics but I must say that those kei apples are to sour for me but supposed to make great jam!I've got some older kei apples growing that I started from seed but no females they make great hedge. I wish I could like them more but not in this life time. ;)

Hi Scott,
 :) Yes, they are more to the sour side, let these badboys fully ripen and they will get more ''sweeter'' :) I also was not a fan of this taste...now every time when they are in season...i crave them ;D  They sure do make a theft proof hedges...No thief in he's good mind will dare to jump this fence :o

Great photos. Thanks for sharing. All the fruit looks wonderful and tasty. Those thorns look like mini daggers to me!

Jackfruitwhisperer69 what do you mean by the thorns will calm down?

Hi Renee,
 :) They sure are mini daggers...I got a large scar from working near the Kei apple once :o I don't play around these badboys ;D

When the trees is in there juvenile stage, They are more thornier to discourage animals from feeding on there leaves...another adaptation strategy 8) When a tree matures...It's more focused on producing flowers and fruit's than thorns 8) Observe the photos and you will see a thorn here and there...then you compare the tree with a young seedling :o

Thanks for the great photo tour steven!  Love seeing the fruiting kei apple.  Have one but it has yet to fruit ):  all the best. Dave

Hi Dave,
 :) Dont worry the tree will produce for you...They usually start to produce in around 4-5 years...The only problem is that you need more than one tree to produce :( In rare cases, Female trees are self-compatible and the seeds are viable. 8) 

Great photos Steven!
Here in Uganda Kei apple is a common used hedge / fence in the drier parts of the country - you will also find it in the central and wetter region where I am staying, but then the fruiting is almost none-existing.

Hi Soren,
 :) That really awesome to hear that Kei apple has spread to Uganda...but, not producing  :o I reckon one of the problems why they don't produce is because they have a chemical in their roots that acts like a herbicide, just like the Black walnut has. I never weed the plant...and if they are planted too near by each other...they will be more concerned to kill weaker plants than to produce fruits. I have to find the site where i read about this issue.

Steven, i forgot to say in my last message, i don't think you missed whole grumichama harvest. Those flowers look like they will be swelling up. That is what they look like when petals fall off and right before they start to swell and form fruits. Here is the whole flowering and fruiting sequence in a collage:

Oscar,
No, I didn't miss the jackpot, Thank Goodness ;D...only the blooms :'( There were some that are starting to swell 8)

Thanks a bunch for sharing this collage :) BTW How long do they take from flower to ripe fruits?     

Glad everyone enjoyed them pics  :)
Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 05:37:28 AM »
Steven, haven't time the grumichama fruiting, but would guess from flower to fruit in 4 weeks.
Oscar

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 05:39:00 AM »
Steven - it must have been introduced many years back because it is fairly common - and it does reproduce; just not in the wetter regions of the country. How much yearly rain do you have at your place?
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk