Author Topic: Coconut Cream - 4 months of growth  (Read 9100 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Coconut Cream - 4 months of growth
« on: August 09, 2012, 12:38:09 AM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:58:38 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Coconut Cream - 4 months of growth
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 12:48:53 AM »
Nice! Are you using the excalibur special mix 8-3-9 fertilizer?
Alexi

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 08:53:46 AM »
Nice! Are you using the excalibur special mix 8-3-9 fertilizer?

The stuff I use is probably the same stuff.  I get my fertilizer from the Palm Beach Rare Fruit Tree Council.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 10:16:57 AM »
My Coconut Cream is flushing nicely too.  So I re-read some comments about its flavor (thank you Rob, for your description), and I think it's a keeper.
Meanwhile MahaChanok, in the ground for 11.5 months now, still has not flushed once.  I just clipped a bit off the top to see if that will motivate it. Next I get out the whips and chains.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 10:48:40 AM »
My Coconut Cream is flushing nicely too.  So I re-read some comments about its flavor (thank you Rob, for your description), and I think it's a keeper.
Meanwhile MahaChanok, in the ground for 11.5 months now, still has not flushed once.  I just clipped a bit off the top to see if that will motivate it. Next I get out the whips and chains.
The Mahachanok can be a little finicky/slow to get going (hence my comments that it seems to be a slow grower).  Keep fertilizing and watering it.
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:07:14 AM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:57:41 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 11:33:55 AM »
My Maha tree also took awhile to get established/started. It just sat for almost a year after I planted it with no flushes and then it just woke up and is now on its third growth flush of the season. 

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 02:03:08 PM »
hi all, :)
Mr. Clean, your CC mango, has wings, you give him amphetamines?  :o;D.
  the Truth, he's wonderful, really beautiful. ::)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 01:17:07 AM »
hi all, :)
Mr. Clean, your CC mango, has wings, you give him amphetamines?  :o;D.
  the Truth, he's wonderful, really beautiful. ::)

Thanks.  My CC mango is a lady and I treat her like a lady... ;-) 

I did something I was not supposed to when planting the CC mango.  I amended the soil with compost and 8-3-9 fertlizer (about 3-4 cups of fertilizer).  You are not supposed to do that for several reasons, including chemical burn of roots.  I heavily watered the amended soil with lots of water to dilute the fertilizer before inserting the tree (3 gallon).  My intent was to have nutrients in the soil when the roots finally grew enough to reach them. 
www.FLMangos.com

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 01:20:20 AM »
And everyone can see how badly that went!  :o
I always ammend the soil. Then again I dont use chemical ferts.
Good growing Mr Cleen!

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 11:22:14 AM »
The Mahachanok can be a little finicky/slow to get going (hence my comments that it seems to be a slow grower).  Keep fertilizing and watering it.

As much as I hate to disagree with you Rob... My Maha was planted in May of last year from a three gallon in June, I harvested twenty five mangoes this year and cropped it back about three feet... Here are some pics!

This was June 2011 (standing at 2.5')

Last Three Fruit

And this was about five minutes ago (August 2012) (standing at 7.5')

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 11:27:06 AM by pj1881 »

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 01:38:52 PM »
I harvested twenty five mangoes this year

Wow, they seem very productive, if you got that many from such a young tree. I really love the coloring on the MC,  PJ , what is the approximate weight of your  fruit?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 02:43:04 PM »
That is amazing growth and fruit!

Bill

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 02:45:34 PM »
I never weighed them but they were decent sized for first year production..

Heres my one year from planting Pickering from early July.. (this one received the same attention and is still only about 4 feet tall)

One year ago (May 2011)

I use the same fertilizer Mr. Clean uses.. I apply every month, and also foliar nutritional spray as well.  Even with the year round fertiling I have had good production. 

If you keep it up Mr. Clean you'll have a forest in no time!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 02:56:11 PM by pj1881 »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 02:55:50 PM »

As much as I hate to disagree with you Rob... My Maha was planted in May of last year from a three gallon in June, I harvested twenty five mangoes this year and cropped it back about three feet... Here are some pics!

Last Three Fruit

Patrick - I think yours is the exception...then again you feed your trees some form of nuclear steroids so it doesn't surprise me a bit.   ;) ;D :o
- Rob

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 03:08:56 PM »

Last Three Fruit

Patrick - I think yours is the exception...then again you feed your trees some form of nuclear steroids so it doesn't surprise me a bit.   ;) ;D :o

LOL

Check this one out!

April 2011 (Lemon Zest)

August 2012 (Lemon Zest)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 03:12:09 PM by pj1881 »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 03:11:59 PM »
My LZ is similar but a little behind yours (mostly since it is planted in a neighbor's yard so it is not as easy to care for.  However, my Coconut Cream, which was about the same size as your LZ last year, is about the same size/similar shape as your LZ now...and it gets no nuclear steroid concoctions.  ;) ;D :P 8)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 11:09:55 PM by Tim »
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 03:37:19 PM »
Patrick,  My Lemon Zest is not nearly as nice as yours....   had one flush but still a pretty pathetic tree....

Baileys Marvel and Harvest Moon are much better, both have been tipped multiple times

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 03:39:41 PM by natsgarden123 »

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2012, 11:11:35 AM »
If you're trying to provoke intense envy, it's working.       :-[      My Maha has gotten regular fertilizer, organic fertilizer, Keeplex Humic 350, and also your magic formula.  It is now four inches shorter and has 5 few leaves than it did when I planted it.   If the worm castings and prayer beads don't work, I'm whipping that sob within an inch of its life.

Last Three Fruit

« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 06:12:08 PM by mangomandan »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 11:20:46 AM »
pj1881
Very very nice photos. So what is your foliar feeding program to get such explosive growth with those two mango trees? The 8-3-9 I already do each month. One tablespoon per foot height of tree which are the Zill directions on their tags put on mango trees

I tuck the 8-3-9 under the mulch. Do you do this or apply it on top?

And this was  about five minutes ago (August 2012) (standing at 7.5')
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 11:32:25 AM by zands »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »
pj1881
Very very nice photos. So what is your foliar feeding program to get such explosive growth with those two mango trees? The 8-3-9 I already do each month. One tablespoon per foot height of tree which are the Zill directions on their tags put on mango trees

Zman - since the 8-3-9 is an Excalibur product you should be following their instructions, not Zill's.  Zill uses a different fert product, "Fertilize monthly with any good palm food or our specially blended 8-3-9 fertilizer with minor elements package. Use 1/2 lb. per 1" of trunk caliper, around the drip line.".
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2012, 12:03:22 PM »

Zman - since the 8-3-9 is an Excalibur product you should be following their instructions, not Zill's.  Zill uses a different fert product, "Fertilize monthly with any good palm food or our specially blended 8-3-9 fertilizer with minor elements package. Use 1/2 lb. per 1" of trunk caliper, around the drip line.".

"Fertilize monthly with any good palm food or our specially blended 8-3-9 fertilizer with minor elements package. Use 1/2 lb. per 1" of trunk caliper, around the drip line.".

You do it exactly this way? How about inside the drip line?

http://www.excaliburfruittrees.com/instructions.html
Thanks and will be doing this on some trees. But>>>>>
  • do you really believe that stuff about fertilizing by the drip line?
  • what if you have lawn grass out by the drip line which is usually my situation
  • sprinkle 8-3-9 on top of the grass?
  • or try to dig it in with a screw driver....which I have done on occasion
  • but either way I am fertilizing the grass
  • but I suppose when I cut that grass it decomposes and the fertilizer it ate up,  the nitrogen, potassium, phosphate and minors, filters downward from rain to the fruit (mango) tree roots
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:05:38 PM by zands »

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2012, 12:36:11 PM »
pj1881

Here is a discussion from awhile back that includes my current program. 

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=241.0

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2012, 12:52:58 PM »

Here is a discussion from awhile back that includes my current program. 

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=241.0

Thanks for all that. I read the info at the link
--can you tell me where to get Miller's 20-20-20?
-- you are using elemental copper in your foliar mix. Do you mean copper sulfate? I do have some

You are definitely getting results. Better to have fewer trees and spend more on custom foliars and fertilizers, than more trees that plod along as far as growth and fruiting. You got yours fruiting quickly and a decent amount.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2012, 01:20:02 PM »
I get my Miller's from http://www.orchardvalleysupply.com/ovsstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=246

I only use a VERY SMALL amount of Copper Hydroxide during the dampest parts of the year, none during drought or low humidity, and I use a little more during Mango flowering/fruiting season.

I do use a fair amount of the 8-3-9 (with minors) that Mr. Wilson of Excalibur helped to formulate for the Rare Fruit Council, its an awesome mix.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk