Author Topic: Latest in the GH  (Read 5830 times)

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Latest in the GH
« on: August 19, 2012, 10:41:13 AM »
Here's some of the latest goings on in the GH.  Here's a look at what our friends at USPS did to my box shipped from PR.  I would no longer trust these assholes to ship anything more than a pen pal letter.  The box was pretty much broken over in half.  As soon as I walked up to the truck, the driver freaked and said "It wasn't me!!". 

Here's a result of their handling.  This was a very nice grafted mangosteen from Jardines Eneida.  Snapped the scion about 1/4" above the graft.  So now I have another seedling.

Another plant that received their brutality.  This is a langsatan, Aglaia edulis, a rare one from Borneo.  Supposed to be very similar to langsat but much faster growing and fruiting habbits.  Just thought it was cool.  But it got snapped in half.  Should be okay though.

Have several new mango grafts going.  Some lemon zest and pickering.  Here's a shot of one of them.

Did a bunch of wax jambu grafts onto 3 older seedling plants.  Not sure of the varieties but was told they were very good.

Papayas grown from seed this year.  Sort of got away from me in there.  These were from a very nice flavored fruit picked up at our local Asian market.  Small and yellow from Hawaii.  The plant on the right is already flowering.  I haven't gotten up a ladder yet to see what types of flowers they are.  I probably ought to cut the top.

Bell starfruit

Petite Negra fig.  Had around 200 fruit this year.  This was an air layered plant that Gerry(lycheeluva) sent me a few years ago.  Very nice tasting.  I planted a small cutting from this plant on the side of the house.  I will cut it back and protect real well and see how if it survives our winter.  The big one goes into the garage.

Cherimoya.  I have a few seedlings in and around the tree being approach grafted.

I recently did a lot of nurse/multiple rootstock grafting.  Rambutan seedling on rambutan.  I put achachairu seedlings onto cherichuela, cherapu, mangosteen, achachairu, and madrono.  So far all look like they are healing up quite well.  Only time will tell if they succeed.  That's it for now.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Latest in the GH
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 11:06:33 AM »
Wow, the plants are not bent, but broken! A**holes!! So sorry to see those pictures. I hope all your PR plants do recover, even if it looks like you lost the mangosteen graft... keep us updated ;)

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 11:19:11 AM »
Wow the GH looks great, sorry to hear about the PR plants, hopefully the rest will recover.  Nice job with the grafts, it'll be interesting to see what pushes and survives.

good luck,
-Ethan

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 12:20:47 PM »
I don't even see the "oops, we messed up" sticker on the USPS box that they've slapped on my destroyed plant shipments:

The greenhouse plants look great though- looks like you need a taller greenhouse to accommodate the papayas and jackfruit!

Kevin

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 12:26:04 PM »
I fell your pain about the trees :(...Did all your grafts took Jay? Did you graft them on your nam doc mai mango tree? I suggest you to bury up your fig this winter. I planted mine this year and I'll do that. Some Italians bury their fig trees and they survive the winter here.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 08:49:38 PM »
That sucks. Bamboo stakes will prevent that. Love the greenhouse; what a haven!
Jeff  :-)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 09:01:30 PM »
Hi Jay, sorry to hear about the damaged box. It's no wonder that USPS is losing money every year. After a few such damaged boxes, delayed boxes, lost boxes, people do give up on their service.
I remember that PIN sent me a box of mango trees from Florida a few years ago. They had reinforced the interior of the box with nailed 2x4 lumber. Maybe a bit of overkill. Made the box quite heayy, but the courier couldn't bend that one in 1/2!
What about carrying the box back with you on the plane next time? Isn't it possible to check it through as luggage once inspected by ag? I think that luggage handlers less likely to crunch up that box.
Oscar

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 09:23:03 PM »
What a bummer Jay, I hope the rest survive the bad handling.

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 09:29:53 PM »
You did graft the Aglaia back together I hope?!?!?

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 06:57:40 AM »
We were really pressed for time but I still should have taken more precautions knowing that I was trusting the USPS with this box.  Oh well...another lesson learned.  Won't have to beat my head against the wall any longer.

Warren...I did not graft it back together.  Figured the plant was already stressed for one, and was probably a good enough spot to prune it back which I had planned on doing anyway.  I don't like any of my plants taking on the whip-like appearance and end up barely able to support themselves.  This will get it going in the right direction for me at least.  The option of how, where, and when should have been mine, not USPSucks.

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 07:49:07 AM »
Serious bummer about your new trees.   :(
On a happier note, you greenhouse plants are looking amazing!  I am excited to hear if all those grafts do take.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 04:34:08 PM »
If forced to send USPS one thing folks might consider in future is insuring the box. That way if they crunch it at least you can make a claim. Only costs a few extra bucks.
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 08:05:39 PM »
the only problem I have with that Oscar is that they will gladly take your money for the insurance but claims are only for certain types of goods...and I can't find a list.  I'm betting plants are not one of them.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 09:53:58 PM »
Nice pics Jay. I think I may be getting a langsatan tree soon myself. Do you know if it tastes good?

Keep us updated on those grafts. I want to see a multi grafted wax jambu!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 10:51:51 PM »
the only problem I have with that Oscar is that they will gladly take your money for the insurance but claims are only for certain types of goods...and I can't find a list.  I'm betting plants are not one of them.

If they smash the box it's definitely covered. I've already collected.
Oscar

Yellowthumb

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 11:04:07 PM »
Jay,

That's really heart broken. Not every plant is created equal or treated equal. I am sure the grafted mangosteen is the one plant more equal to others. As a plant lover myself, I really feel your pain. Maybe it will spout just from the snapped spot.

YT

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 07:04:39 AM »
I hoped so to YT...but the remaining portion does not look good at all.

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 01:15:23 PM »
As Oscar said insuring the package is always a must. When I used to ship orchids I always insured them. I also staked and packaged them really well. I only had 1 claim and that was because they damaged the box so bad. It looked like they had played football with it. It also was delivered 2 weeks later and the plant looked like it had cooked in the heat. They didn't even put a sticker on it like yours. Got the money back.
With that said I also hope your plant recovers.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
Anything really valuable now i insure it. All USPS express mail packages already have automatic $100 insurance. You can add additional insurance to those if you want. I only had to make a claim once. They paid the whole amount of coverage. Only problem is they take a full 30 days to repay you.
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 09:05:47 PM »
Hey Jay ,

Glad to find you here also , I am just the ' newbie " . Sorry about the plants , I know how you must feel !
Man , I love your greenhouse , you know how to live.....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 06:58:48 AM »
Thanks...good to have you come into the "light" Luc!!  I'll just have to stop writing "PLEASE CRUSH BOX" on my packages!

Gonna have to come up with some creative plant arranging for this winter.  Will have to get rid of a few as well.  One of the big Imbes will probably go...maybe two.  Need to thin out the banana corner too.  Some others may be added to the "time to go" list.  Lots to do before winter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk