Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 183179 times)

Finley

• Red Bluff
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #950 on: May 25, 2022, 12:55:52 AM »
Thanks! Just getting any one of my Fuerte, Mexicola Granda, Sir Prize, or Gem to produce a single fruit would be a huge win.

What's the weather like this time of year in Vegas? If you could protect a Reed through any hard frosts I wonder if the later bloom might give you a shot

Gone Tropical

• USA, Florida, Orlando
    • View Profile
    • Blogging in Myrtle Glen
« Reply #951 on: August 16, 2022, 12:42:55 PM »
I'm thinking this is the correct spot to ask about my Avocado tree :-)
in 2013 we bought an Avocado tree at Jene's Tropicals nursery which was labeled Wurtz and we were assured this to be the best variety for a small back yard in Orlando Florida.
Since then, the tree is growing and flowering abundantly every year and setting fruit all over, but they drop in a matter of days when they reach about the size of a hazelnut. Small yard --> prime real estate --> compost pile for non-performers, except hubs refused to kill it.
The tree seems healthy, no pests. Over the years we tried everything, more water, less water, more and less fertilizer, copper spray, citrus spray, etc.
This year 2022 is the first time that 2 fruit stayed on, but looking at them, they do not seem to be the long looking Wurtz fruit.
So my two questions, can you tell which variety I have and any guesses why all the fruit keep dropping?

Thank you for your help :-)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: August 16, 2022, 01:49:02 PM »
This is what my Wurtz fruit looked like after being picked in December (2019).  The immature fruit looked like yours. So I'd say, yes, your fruit defintely looks like Wurtz.  Also, the leaves look like Wurtz.  My tree had no problem setting and retaining fruit after reaching about 5 or 6 feet (2 years, I think), but I sold the house after the first year it fruited, and someone came and dug up the tree and planted it in their yard in 2020.  I have no idea how it's done subsequently.  Don't pick the fruit too early.  The flavor was decent, not as rich as I would have liked, but then again it was only the first year of fruit.  You could try extra potassium and pelletized gypsum (for calcium).

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 05:31:31 PM by johnb51 »
John

Gone Tropical

• USA, Florida, Orlando
    • View Profile
    • Blogging in Myrtle Glen
« Reply #953 on: August 16, 2022, 03:41:11 PM »
Thank you johnb, I am glad to hear mine is a Wurtz afterall.
And thank you for the tip of extra potassium and gypsum, should I add those now, or rather next spring before flowering? what do you recommend?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #954 on: August 16, 2022, 05:23:08 PM »
Extra potassium aids fruit set and the calcium is for fruit development, so I'd say to wait until spring.  Best of luck!  It seems like our trees have personalities that we have to try to understand.  Maybe it's all science, but they are living things.
John

yimnvs

• USA, CA, San Leandro, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: September 27, 2022, 10:58:06 PM »
Finally picked the only Holiday fruit from my tree. Took 12 days to ripen in my house. This was the first time I got fruit from the tree planted in the ground in 2019. I know Holiday gets a lot of flak from people here but it was actually pretty good; smooth and buttery. A lot better than anything at the store.

Pics:
https://ibb.co/ZgGVwJg
https://ibb.co/vztfT6Y
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 11:12:44 PM by yimnvs »

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: October 03, 2022, 06:16:54 PM »

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: October 03, 2022, 06:21:02 PM »
what is this its black on tree but with green specs

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: October 04, 2022, 11:46:29 AM »
Could be a Stewart they turn black but usually not until around Dec.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: October 04, 2022, 03:21:39 PM »
Looks more like mex grande but who knows.  Its black and its mexican...
Brad Spaugh

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: December 30, 2022, 02:52:43 AM »
after learning lot about avocado, finally decided to grow few variety with type A and B combination.
Bought Gwen, Pinkerton, Reed (Type A) / Sir Prize , and Kona Sharwil (Type B)
Transplanted to 15 Gal. as planning to move out of my current place in the next 2 years and Hope to plant in ground then…
Now, like to know, how long these trees grow comfortably without any pruning in a 15 Gal?

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #961 on: December 30, 2022, 09:50:24 AM »
Even when I plant 3-7 gal in the ground, I prune a lot to develop good branches and a wider trunk.  I also prune a lot in the pots to get the shape I want and start thickening the trunk. You dont want to have an 8 ft tree with a 1/2 inch trunk.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 30, 2022, 11:28:13 AM »
Even when I plant 3-7 gal in the ground, I prune a lot to develop good branches and a wider trunk.  I also prune a lot in the pots to get the shape I want and start thickening the trunk. You dont want to have an 8 ft tree with a 1/2 inch trunk.
really appreciate your feedback.... Yes! my Sir prize is close to 6 ft tall with 1/2 inch trunk. is it ok to prune at the top? if so how much? (like top 1 ft or 2 ft?) I normally do that on other fast growing trees. But, reading some details,  that it may stunt "growth" when pruned too much.. really confused   :-\   

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #963 on: January 01, 2023, 10:37:48 AM »
Transplanted to 15 Gal. as planning to move out of my current place in the next 2 years and Hope to plant in ground then…
Now, like to know, how long these trees grow comfortably without any pruning in a 15 Gal?

I've had trees grow ok for 2 years in 15 gal, but the roots were already circling the bottom at that point, so I'd guess they would ideally go in the ground or in an even larger pot in about 2 years. I haven't tried going any longer in that size pot, so can't say for sure that the roots circling would have caused any immediate problems or stunting.

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: January 02, 2023, 12:30:55 AM »

I've had trees grow ok for 2 years in 15 gal, but the roots were already circling the bottom at that point, so I'd guess they would ideally go in the ground or in an even larger pot in about 2 years. I haven't tried going any longer in that size pot, so can't say for sure that the roots circling would have caused any immediate problems or stunting.
Thanks for your feedback ... also, my yard getting direct sunlight only for 5 hrs in Summer (4 in winter). I think this will slowdown the growth too.

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: February 07, 2023, 06:04:30 PM »
Got this from Costco… is it Hass? Never seen such a small pit in Hass

« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 06:06:42 PM by love_Tropic »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: February 07, 2023, 07:13:19 PM »
What did it say on the label at the store?
Looks like a nice Jan Boyce, it has very small seeds like yours.
Did it taste good, creamy or watery?

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: February 07, 2023, 08:18:47 PM »
What did it say on the label at the store?
Looks like a nice Jan Boyce, it has very small seeds like yours.
Did it taste good, creamy or watery?
Tastes very good and lot more creamy. In general, Costco avocados are much better than other grocery stores…
Was Labeled as Hass, but first time seeing a small pit not like Hass. being black skin, Could this be sir prize?

« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 08:29:42 PM by love_Tropic »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #968 on: February 07, 2023, 08:37:27 PM »
Not jan boyce or sir prize. 
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #969 on: February 08, 2023, 10:34:07 AM »
Not jan boyce or sir prize.
What do you think it is?
John

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #970 on: February 08, 2023, 12:34:58 PM »
Its a hass from costco
Brad Spaugh

drymifolia

• View Profile
« Reply #971 on: February 08, 2023, 01:09:37 PM »
Labeled as Hass, but first time seeing a small pit not like Hass.

Keeping in mind that there are a few distinct cultivars that can be sold as "Hass" (e.g. Lamb), and also studies that have shown pollenizer trees can affect pit shape and size, I'd say that's just a normal Hass (or maybe one of the other cultivars normally sold as Hass), but perhaps the pollen source was something that tends to produce smaller seeds. The seed doesn't look too unusually small to me, though, just a little on the small side.

drymifolia

• View Profile
« Reply #972 on: February 08, 2023, 01:30:10 PM »
I tried Fuerte avocados for the first time a few days ago after ordering a box of 8 of them from Winterwarm Farms in Fallbrook. They were really quite good, very creamy and smooth texture and a nutty taste. My wife and I both agreed they might be our favorite avocados to date, or at least tied with some of the best store-bought Hass we've had.

Was this an unusually good batch of Fuertes or something? I've mostly read that they are more middling in eating quality. Some photos:

Here's where I bought them:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1381581856/8-count-fresh-organic-fuerte-avocados
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 01:32:42 PM by drymifolia »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #973 on: February 08, 2023, 02:25:14 PM »
Fuertes are good fruit.  Lots of people really like them.  For this time of year its probably the best. Fallbrook is a prime growing area too.
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #974 on: February 08, 2023, 03:47:39 PM »
Was this an unusually good batch of Fuertes or something? I've mostly read that they are more middling in eating quality.
Fuerte is an excellent avocado.  One of my favorites.
John