Author Topic: Mangoes that taste like Kent?  (Read 8540 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Mangoes that taste like Kent?
« on: September 01, 2012, 09:53:51 PM »
Hello everyone, I was wondering what other mango varieties taste like Kent? Quang from Ongs nursery mentioned that Kent doesn't grow very fast here in San Diego. My friend that lives down the street from me had a small kent growing and it is not doing very well. It could be that he is not taking good care of his trees but I wanted to know what other options I have for mangoes that taste similar or better than Kent. Thanks in advance!
Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Mangoes that taste like Kent?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 01:16:11 AM »
Hello everyone, I was wondering what other mango varieties taste like Kent? Quang from Ongs nursery mentioned that Kent doesn't grow very fast here in San Diego. My friend that lives down the street from me had a small kent growing and it is not doing very well. It could be that he is not taking good care of his trees but I wanted to know what other options I have for mangoes that taste similar or better than Kent. Thanks in advance!
Simon

Haden.... one of my all time favorite.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 01:19:28 AM »
I am growing out seedlings of Kent, hope they do well.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 07:58:20 AM »
Simon

Kent is a fairly standard like for most mango lovers.  Southern Blush comes to mind as having some similarities to Kent. There are  others.  Spirit of 76 also engenders the same level of taste enjoyment in many people that try it.  I am commenting on the general likeability as much or even perhaps more than actual flavor I guess.  Each mango has its own nuance of flavors.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 06:54:08 PM »
I've found that most of the Keitts I've eaten have a flavor similar to Kent.  Am I the only one?
John

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 08:26:25 PM »
Simon

Better than Kent? That shouldn't be too difficult. I think there are a few mango tasting threads on the forum where people commented on their favorite mangos and you may get some ideas from them.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 08:48:14 PM »
I've found that most of the Keitts I've eaten have a flavor similar to Kent.  Am I the only one?

I think I would agree with that, and throw in Beverly as well.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 12:26:54 AM »
Harry - how in the world can you say Southern Blush has any similarity to Kent?  SB is an outstanding, sweet, rich aromatic mango...everything a Kent is not. 

I do agree that saying Keitt and Beverly could be compared to Kent...not that they taste the same but they are all in a group with similar quality and characteristics...all very average in MY book.
- Rob

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 12:31:08 AM »
Valencia pride   at least in florida it is a vigorous grower too.

Brad
Brad

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 01:15:43 AM »
I wanted to know what other options I have for mangoes that taste similar or better than Kent. Thanks in advance!

Whether a particular variety is "better or not" is a matter of personal taste,  if I had to make a recommendation I would probably say Keitt,  it is a late season variety like Kent, similar sized,  but is more productive.  taste wise they are about the same in quality, although I prefer the texture of Kent.

Keitt is pretty disease resistant, and has excellent shelf life. as commercial varieties go, it probably the top ranking variety for that purpose.

Are there better tasting mangoes? you betcha !  look at past posts from those members in Ca. and see what they are growing well in that area.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 03:22:09 AM »
Thanks for all the replies everyone!  When I mentioned that I was looking for something that tastes similar or even better than a Kent, I was trying to give everyone reading this post some idea of what I like in a mango.  I have only tried a few varieties of mangoes and Kent's taste really good to my untrained palate.  They are very sweet and aromatic and perhaps I just like the more simple tasting mangoes but I won't know until I am able to try more varieties. 

Joe, I was thinking about a Haden but I already have a Glenn and Glenn's are supposed to be a descendant of Haden.  Would Glenn be close enough in terms of flavor profile to a Haden that it would be wise for me to grow something else instead? 

We do get a lot of Keitt's here late in the mango season and they are great mangoes.  I personally feel that Keitt's have a tad more citrusy flavor than a Kent and a Kent has a tad more tropical mangoey flavor when compared to a Keitt.  Keitt is already on my "to get" list.  I will be doing some more research on Southern Blush and Spirit of 76.  Please keep the suggestions coming in!
Simon

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 09:25:39 AM »

We do get a lot of Keitt's here late in the mango season and they are great mangoes.  I personally feel that Keitt's have a tad more citrusy flavor than a Kent and a Kent has a tad more tropical mangoey flavor when compared to a Keitt.  Keitt is already on my "to get" list.  I will be doing some more research on Southern Blush and Spirit of 76.  Please keep the suggestions coming in!
Simon

An astute observation, I think.   Brad also made a good suggestion. I had somehow forgotten through the years, but Valencia Pride is very tasty too.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 09:30:41 AM »
Simon - I think one thing to consider is that there is a distinct possibility that mangoes grown in Cali do not taste and sometimes look the same as those grown in Fla.  I have seen pictures that some have posted of Hadens and others and they do not look like those grown here in Fla and the descriptions do not completely sound like it would if describing a Florida grown mango.

With that being said, in Florida, a Glenn and Haden taste completely different so growing both would not seem like you have two of the same type of mango.

I think your best research would be to search out some of the real Cali mango growers and see what they have success with and try and taste some of those varieties.  You can also go by us Floridian's recommendations but keeping in mind it may not grow the same, look the same or even taste the same.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 09:59:46 AM »
I, too, have always thought that Kent has a great flavor, and always will! ;D  And I can understand why you'd use it as your standard (even though I didn't plant it in my yard due to space constraints--I planted Beverly instead along with Angie, Pickering, Mahachanok, and Neelam).
John

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 02:49:40 PM »
I, too, have always thought that Kent has a great flavor, and always will! ;D  And I can understand why you'd use it as your standard (even though I didn't plant it in my yard due to space constraints--I planted Beverly instead along with Angie, Pickering, Mahachanok, and Neelam).

I love Kent when I can find them, this year in the DR, I have not seen one for sale, I ask around the street vendors , and they all say the same thing, no one seems to have any,  so basically its Keitt for the rest of the season, not complaining, Keiit is a decent mango.  but as they say, variety is the spice of life.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2021, 07:43:55 PM »
This thread came up in my google search for same question.
I love my Kents, 20yr old tree that i cut at least 8' off every year, deal with anthracnose, but want to add another tree with same taste which varies of course with ripeness stages.
Phoenix (going by the couple reviews i've seen) is close possibly better.
And i'd like it more if slightly earlier season then Kent.
Thoughts?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2021, 08:42:51 PM »
This thread came up in my google search for same question.
I love my Kents, 20yr old tree that i cut at least 8' off every year, deal with anthracnose, but want to add another tree with same taste which varies of course with ripeness stages.
Phoenix (going by the couple reviews i've seen) is close possibly better.
And i'd like it more if slightly earlier season then Kent.
Thoughts?
Going by Alex's information at www.tropicalacresfarms.com, Zill-80 and Providence are likely seedlings of Kent but are subject to BBS and rot fungi just like Kent.  Fruit Punch, Carla, and others come from Zill-80, but Alex says Fruit Punch can also get BBS and rot.  I guess that leaves Carla, which he is still evaluating.  I've seen Carla featured on several tasting videos, and people rave about it.  Its season might be similar to Kent's.  I've heard that Phoenix doesn't resemble Kent in flavor, but is considered better? 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 08:51:52 PM by johnb51 »
John

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2021, 10:01:46 PM »
john, how'd all those i see you planted 9yrs ago turn out?  Good as or better then Kent?
I too planted a Pickering.  Small yet.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2021, 11:03:51 PM »
john, how'd all those i see you planted 9yrs ago turn out?  Good as or better then Kent?
I too planted a Pickering.  Small yet.
Since you asked...I don't own that house anymore.  At one point I planted a Providence tree there for the Kent flavor, and I was satisfied with it.  It had an extra kick of acidity, but the flavor definitely reminded me of Kent, and the fruit was double the size of any Kent fruit I've ever seen.  The tree hasn't had any health issues so far that I know of.  You'll definitely be happy with Pickering--beautiful form, beautiful size, heavy bearer.  I'd rate Angie as good and Mahachanok as very good.  I didn't like the carrot flavor of Neelam (so it got the ax), and the Beverly didn't seem healthy so I removed it.  Another variety I grew was Honey Kiss, also very good. I'd rank everything as equal to Kent in quality except for Neelam obviously and Angie one step below--other than Providence all with a different flavor profie.  In the future I might try growing Carla for the Kent flavor.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 09:45:32 AM by johnb51 »
John

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2021, 11:54:03 AM »
Thanks John.  Found 1 vid of Providence, looked good, juicy, no fiber really, a bit more acid kick (said he) which is fine.  Reminded him of Kent.
Size wise, my Kents are from larger then baseball to almost softball.  This years were huge.

I'll ask nursery maybe next week for Carla or Providence.
I also recently planted peach cobbler, raw honey, cogshall, maha (barely alive but is) & m4 my landscaper took chunk outta trunk but healthy.  Grafts if it breaks in storm.

Wondering how Simon's trees are.

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2021, 01:53:28 PM »
Underripe Fruit Punch usually tastes almost exactly like Kent. 
Other Kent-like varieties i’ve tried are Honey Kiss and Super Alphonso.
Also, Orange Essence tastes like Kent but with a wonderful orange creamsicle
flavor added to it. I believe Orange Essence is a seedling of Kent.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2021, 09:30:53 PM »
Underripe Fruit Punch usually tastes almost exactly like Kent. 
Other Kent-like varieties i’ve tried are Honey Kiss and Super Alphonso.
Also, Orange Essence tastes like Kent but with a wonderful orange creamsicle
flavor added to it. I believe Orange Essence is a seedling of Kent.
I didn't realize OE was a Kent seedling.  Great!  I grew Honey Kiss (which is a Keitt seedling) and didn't find it to taste like Kent.
John

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2021, 11:20:20 PM »
Thanks for all the replies everyone!  When I mentioned that I was looking for something that tastes similar or even better than a Kent, I was trying to give everyone reading this post some idea of what I like in a mango.  I have only tried a few varieties of mangoes and Kent's taste really good to my untrained palate.  They are very sweet and aromatic and perhaps I just like the more simple tasting mangoes but I won't know until I am able to try more varieties. 

Joe, I was thinking about a Haden but I already have a Glenn and Glenn's are supposed to be a descendant of Haden.  Would Glenn be close enough in terms of flavor profile to a Haden that it would be wise for me to grow something else instead? 

Simon

Simon, Leo has a seedling of Keitt that Jim really liked,. I have one grafted but it hasn't fruited yet. I just got an original Keitt off my tree today and it was really good. I don't know when Leo's Keitt ripens.

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2021, 08:18:38 PM »

Simon

Simon, Leo has a seedling of Keitt that Jim really liked,. I have one grafted but it hasn't fruited yet. I just got an original Keitt off my tree today and it was really good. I don't know when Leo's Keitt ripens.

You would be surprised by how 9 years had changed Simon :)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2021, 01:05:43 AM »
Haha, I just saw this thread and saw wonderful flashbacks of my early mango years when growing a Kent mango was my holy grail, lol!

I the last 10 years or so, I jumped down the rabbit hole, so to speak and learned as much as I could about mangos. I learned a lot from Leo Manuel, Eunice Messner, Nim Neitzel and many others and the journey has been extremely rewarding.

I experimented a lot and failed more times than I care to mention but with each failure, I learned what not to do. I was absolutely horrible at grafting when I first started but I got better and better as I performed more and more grafts.

Oh yeah, and my palate? I still enjoy Kent but E4, Sweet Tart, Lemon Zest, Pina Colada, Orange Sherbet, Pineapple Pleasure, Venus, Kathy, Orange Sherbet and many others are far better tasting in my opinion.

Kent does make a great rootstock at my location but with Kents so readily available in the markets at such ridiculously low prices, it would it warrant being planted in my small yard.

Simon