Author Topic: coconut cream mango tree for sale on ebay???  (Read 16713 times)

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
coconut cream mango tree for sale on ebay???
« on: September 04, 2012, 05:06:37 AM »
you saw on ebay coconut cream mango trees for sale!! ???
Is this really a coconut cream? with seedling of haden and others mango tree?
possible or not?
I need your opinion?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 09:06:53 AM by anaxel »

cwojo

• Boynton Beach, FL 33436 zone 10a/10b
    • View Profile
Re: coconut cream mango tree for sale on ebay???
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 02:56:59 PM »
can you link it?

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 03:06:24 PM »
I assume you're talking about this listing?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mango-Tree-COCONUT-CREAM-grafted-3-live-plant-cheapest-on-ebay-condo-/261093366661?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cca609b85

Even though title shows Coconut Cream, item description clearly states it's Haden?  A very generic and blanket taste description on a very new release.  I wouldn't trust the correct variety name.
Tim

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 04:38:26 PM »
hi tim,hi all,
thank you for the answer. :) :D
yes, I'm talking about the announcement, which seems a bit dubious. ???
  why put title (Grafted mango tree coconut cream)? :o
this is not correct for the buyer. :o

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 04:47:46 PM »
I dont know if I can trust a guy that claims to sell dwarf Malayan coconut trees http://www.ebay.com/itm/261055075763 for under thirty dollars.. Sounds like a set up for failure! But who knows.. Maybe its right! I got a great deal on a Maha Chanok from Thailand on eBay, this year it produced for the first time... They looked like Nam Doc Mai.. Buyer Beware!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 09:38:26 PM by pj1881 »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 05:47:52 PM »
It's likely legit. It comes from Hollywood, FL, so is likely a Zill tree. They probably copy/pasted the body of description and forgot to replace haden with coco cream. There's an easy way to tell if it's a coco cream: sap should smell orangey/citrussy. Not a bad price considering that drop tropicals sells them for 80 bones.
Jeff  :-)

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 05:49:26 PM »
Yea, it's only $40+s/h to find out  ;D
Tim

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 07:04:57 PM »
Sorry Cookie Man, gonna have to disagree with you on this one.  IF the picture is one of the actual plants available, leaves and growth habit do NOT look like Coco Cream.  No Zill tag, though that could have been removed.  I also question the quantity he has available and being a Coco Cream.  Nothing about pot size either.

Based on the listing, wonder how much for the dogs...and is he selling a condo also??

EDIT:  just looked at his other listings...other than the Cogshalls available for sale he/she seems to use the same picture for all listings.  Would put a lot of doubt there alone.  Also, look at his Cogshjall listing and zoom in on the pots...does not look like a Zill kept pot.  All plant tags that are visible are white but no wording legible...again, other than the Cogshall, pics are the same for all varieties listed.

Caveat Emptor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 07:07:43 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 07:20:38 PM »
Yes, the cogshalls looks like they are from pine island: cleft grafted and typical 2.5 gallon pot. Just because the pictures are not coco cream doesn't mean he's not selling coco cream. Worst case scenario, you invoke buyer protection and/or leave bad feedback. If it were me, I'd buy one.

Sorry Cookie Man, gonna have to disagree with you on this one.  IF the picture is one of the actual plants available, leaves and growth habit do NOT look like Coco Cream.  No Zill tag, though that could have been removed.  I also question the quantity he has available and being a Coco Cream.  Nothing about pot size either.

Based on the listing, wonder how much for the dogs...and is he selling a condo also??

EDIT:  just looked at his other listings...other than the Cogshalls available for sale he/she seems to use the same picture for all listings.  Would put a lot of doubt there alone.  Also, look at his Cogshjall listing and zoom in on the pots...does not look like a Zill kept pot.  All plant tags that are visible are white but no wording legible...again, other than the Cogshall, pics are the same for all varieties listed.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 07:37:47 PM »
Yes, the cogshalls looks like they are from pine island: cleft grafted and typical 2.5 gallon pot. Just because the pictures are not coco cream doesn't mean he's not selling coco cream. Worst case scenario, you invoke buyer protection and/or leave bad feedback. If it were me, I'd buy one.

You would go for it for $57???  I assume you mean for someone NOT in the SFla area who has actual access to purchase one in person for less?

Oh, buyer protection on Ebay...hahahaha  Ebay has gone downhil in the past couple of years as far as any type of protection.  If the seller did not want to refund, trying to prove it to ebay or paypal would be tough...

...and from his Tebow description (with that same white tag in the picture):  "For sale is this Tebow mango plant, designed by the University of Florida, and named for the famous quarterback."
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 10:05:56 PM »
Correct, being a south floridian, I'd just drive up to patrick's house or something :-). But for the cowboys in california, that's a reasonable deal.

Yah, I'm with you on buyer protection. I got milked for ~$350 once. The seller sent me a look-a-like product that was worth quite a bit less than I paid. When I went to ebay and paypal for a refund, both petty much told me to buzz off. Fortunately I had purchased via paypal on my credit card, and the credit card company (bank of america) came through and refunded my money with no hassle.

You would go for it for $57???  I assume you mean for someone NOT in the SFla area who has actual access to purchase one in person for less?

Oh, buyer protection on Ebay...hahahaha  Ebay has gone downhil in the past couple of years as far as any type of protection.  If the seller did not want to refund, trying to prove it to ebay or paypal would be tough...

...and from his Tebow description (with that same white tag in the picture):  "For sale is this Tebow mango plant, designed by the University of Florida, and named for the famous quarterback."

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 02:26:56 AM »
FYI guys,  there is no buyer protection on plants. That is what I was told after I filed a claim and was denied based on the previously mentioned. And just like Jeff, the bank took care of it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:35:48 AM by cuban007 »

natsgarden123

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
I have sold some antiques on Ebay so I sympathize with the sellers. Its true that the foreign seller cant be trusted ( I learned this with some adeniums) but this guy is in the US. I am going to message the guy and ask what's up with the trees.  He probably uses a generic photo.

natsgarden123

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 10:38:37 PM »
The seller says that the photo is a stock photo and that the coconut zest tree has a zills tag.    I invited him to the forum  :)

Nat

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 10:48:03 PM »
The seller says that the photo is a stock photo and that the coconut zest tree has a zills tag.    I invited him to the forum  :)

Nat
Congratulations...it appears as if you have just crossed two of the newest, loved mango varieties to create a new one.  Since I have trouble believing this, I, on Cookie Man's and the rest of the mango crew, are going to have to ask you to turn in your tropical fruit card and step away from the forum... ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o ??? ??? ??? :P :P :P ::) ::) ::) :blank: :blank: :blank:
- Rob

CooperBotanicals

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 11:24:31 PM »
I'm happy to see some of my plants get so much attention!

It is a coconut cream, grown in a 3 gallon pot. As Nat mentioned, I used a Tebow as a stock photo, and will replace it with an actual one when I have time.

To pj, yes, I sell the dwarf Malayans for no reserve. Sometimes people from outside of South Florida don't understand that they are EXTREMELY common and grow like weeds for us. I have about 300 in stock.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 11:55:39 PM »

Nat
Congratulations...it appears as if you have just crossed two of the newest, loved mango varieties to create a new one.  Since I have trouble believing this, I, on Cookie Man's and the rest of the mango crew, are going to have to ask you to turn in your tropical fruit card and step away from the forum... ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o ??? ??? ??? :P :P :P ::) ::) ::) :blank: :blank: :blank:

Coconut Zest doesnt sound very appealing. Woody and fibrous are not things that should come to mind when thinking about mango.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 12:03:49 AM »

It is a coconut cream, grown in a 3 gallon pot. As Nat mentioned, I used a Tebow as a stock photo, and will replace it with an actual one when I have time.

To pj, yes, I sell the dwarf Malayans for no reserve. Sometimes people from outside of South Florida don't understand that they are EXTREMELY common and grow like weeds for us. I have about 300 in stock.
To clarify, by your dwarf malayan, you mean the ones that fruit at a young age and low height but will ultimately reach 15-20 feet?  I say that as opposed to the true dwarf coconut that only reaches about 10 feet in height max...
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 12:08:31 AM »
I dont know if I can trust a guy that claims to sell dwarf Malayan coconut trees http://www.ebay.com/itm/261055075763 for under thirty dollars.. Sounds like a set up for failure! But who knows.. Maybe its right! I got a great deal on a Maha Chanok from Thailand on eBay, this year it produced for the first time... They looked like Nam Doc Mai.. Buyer Beware!

I think you're mixing up the Dwarf Malayan with Samoan/Fiji Dwarfs. The Dwarf Malayans can be bought all over S FL in 3g's for $15 and under while the Samoan/Fiji Dwarf can be bought for about $40 in Homestead in a 3g.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 12:12:28 AM »

Nat

Coconut Zest doesnt sound very appealing. Woody and fibrous are not things that should come to mind when thinking about mango.

Lemon Cream sounds better.  ;D :P ;)
Alexi

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 12:15:28 AM »

To clarify, by your dwarf malayan, you mean the ones that fruit at a young age and low height but will ultimately reach 15-20 feet?  I say that as opposed to the true dwarf coconut that only reaches about 10 feet in height max...

Rob, By Dwarf Malayan he means Dwarf Malayan.  :)
Dwarf Malayan is usually considered a semi-dwarf tree as a opposed to the Fiji/Samoan Dwarf which is considered more of a true dwarf. While the Malayan will be about 18ft after 30 years, the Fiji will only be about 12ft. The problem with growing the Fiji dwarf for sale is that it is open pollinated so you will often get non dwarf trees. The Malayan is supposed to not be open pollinated so it is easier to maintain the semi-dwarf characteristic in the seedlings because around 90% of the seeds are the result of self pollination.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 12:30:48 AM »

Dwarf Malayan is usually considered a semi-dwarf tree as a opposed to the Fiji/Samoan Dwarf which is considered more of a true dwarf. While the Malayan will be about 18ft after 30 years, the Fiji will only be about 12ft. The problem with growing the Fiji dwarf for sale is that it is open pollinated so you will often get non dwarf trees. The Malayan is supposed to not be open pollinated so it is easier to maintain the semi-dwarf characteristic in the seedlings because around 90% of the seeds are the result of self pollination.
That is what I figured.  I knew the jist of your explanation just not some of the specifics...thanks.
- Rob

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 09:46:27 AM »

Good info Sheehan.  So there is actually the probability of purchasing a Fiji dwarf that will not be dwarf?  :o
Adiel

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 09:52:48 AM »

Good info Sheehan.  So there is actually the probability of purchasing a Fiji dwarf that will not be dwarf?  :o

Yup. You have to make sure the person who is selling the tree has the trees somewhat isolated and knows what they are doing. Also the color of the mother tree as compared to the seedlings often tells if the tree was selfed or crossed.

The only place I would buy a Fiji Dwarf from in South Florida is Romney Farms. http://romneyfarms.angelfire.com/index.html
I think they are still in business.

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 10:14:33 AM »
hi all,thank all,
I ask myself the question, if the coconut cream mango tree, which he sells on ebay will conform to the true copy with a rootstock tebow? or it will have a different flavor?

je me pose la question,à savoir ,si  le coconut cream  mango tree,  qu'il vend sur ebay sera  conforme à la vrai copie avec un porte greffe tebow?  ou il aura  une autre saveur?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 11:17:33 AM by anaxel »