Author Topic: coconut cream mango tree for sale on ebay???  (Read 16773 times)

natsgarden123

Re: coconut cream mango tree for sale on ebay???
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 11:42:52 AM »
The seller says that the photo is a stock photo and that the coconut zest tree has a zills tag.    I invited him to the forum  :)

Nat
Congratulations...it appears as if you have just crossed two of the newest, loved mango varieties to create a new one.  Since I have trouble believing this, I, on Cookie Man's and the rest of the mango crew, are going to have to ask you to turn in your tropical fruit card and step away from the forum... ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o ??? ??? ??? :P :P :P ::) ::) ::) :blank: :blank: :blank:

OOPS....I meant Coconut Cream  - please re-instate my mango card.

The listing does seem legit.. the guy joined this forum

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 08:51:51 PM »
hi all,thank all,
I ask myself the question, if the coconut cream mango tree, which he sells on ebay will conform to the true copy with a rootstock tebow? or it will have a different flavor?

je me pose la question,à savoir ,si  le coconut cream  mango tree,  qu'il vend sur ebay sera  conforme à la vrai copie avec un porte greffe tebow?  ou il aura  une autre saveur?

You want to graft it on a tebow rootstock? If yes, it really doesn't matter the flavor will not change.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 09:01:58 PM »
I believe you misunderstood CooperBotanicals.  It's a stock photo showing the Tebow variety, not Tebow as a rootstock. 
Tebow rootstock isn't possible, Tebow seedling rootstock - Yes.

hi all,thank all,
I ask myself the question, if the coconut cream mango tree, which he sells on ebay will conform to the true copy with a rootstock tebow? or it will have a different flavor?

je me pose la question,à savoir ,si  le coconut cream  mango tree,  qu'il vend sur ebay sera  conforme à la vrai copie avec un porte greffe tebow?  ou il aura  une autre saveur?

You want to graft it on a tebow rootstock? If yes, it really doesn't matter the flavor will not change.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:03:34 PM by Tim »
Tim

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2012, 09:02:17 PM »
I dont know if I can trust a guy that claims to sell dwarf Malayan coconut trees http://www.ebay.com/itm/261055075763 for under thirty dollars.. Sounds like a set up for failure! But who knows.. Maybe its right! I got a great deal on a Maha Chanok from Thailand on eBay, this year it produced for the first time... They looked like Nam Doc Mai.. Buyer Beware!

I think you're mixing up the Dwarf Malayan with Samoan/Fiji Dwarfs. The Dwarf Malayans can be bought all over S FL in 3g's for $15 and under while the Samoan/Fiji Dwarf can be bought for about $40 in Homestead in a 3g.

Thats what I was thinking, I mixed the two up.. Sorry Cooper! From your responses you sound like you are more informed that it originally appeared! Now fix those ads!!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2012, 05:35:46 AM »

Good info Sheehan.  So there is actually the probability of purchasing a Fiji dwarf that will not be dwarf?  :o

Yup. You have to make sure the person who is selling the tree has the trees somewhat isolated and knows what they are doing. Also the color of the mother tree as compared to the seedlings often tells if the tree was selfed or crossed.

The only place I would buy a Fiji Dwarf from in South Florida is Romney Farms. http://romneyfarms.angelfire.com/index.html
I think they are still in business.

Sheehan is right in saying the Samoan dwarf coconut trees cross very easily. He is wrong in saying they have to be somewhat isolated. They need to be totally isolated. 1/4 mile from any other coconut would be ideal.
Oscar

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2012, 06:20:38 AM »
hi all, :) ;) :D 8)

samuelforest, I mean the result between haden as rootstock (not the tebow) and coconut cream in grafts, the result will he taste the CC or haden, knowing that parents are CC (EDWARD relative : haden and caraboa and GARY? Parent: carrie and pettigrew) or the mixture will be bitter, fibrous or simply possible (for the Genetic)? . ;) :D 8)

hi all,

samuelforest, je parle du résultat entre le haden comme porte greffe (non pas le tebow) et le coconut cream en greffons ,le fruit aura-t-il le goût du CC ou haden,sachant que les parents du CC sont le (EDWARD parent: haden et caraboa et le GARY? parent:carrie et pettigrew)ou le melange sera amère et fibreux ou tout simplement possible (vue le génétic)?. ;) :D 8)

I believe you misunderstood CooperBotanicals.  It's a stock photo showing the Tebow variety, not Tebow as a rootstock. 
Tebow rootstock isn't possible, Tebow seedling rootstock - Yes.

hi all,thank all,

TIM hi, oops! :-[ :-[ :-[ sorry this is a rootstock haden, because the photo is a tebow as you write and it remains as PROVISIONAL CooperBotanicals wrote in his response, the photo is not for sale but a coconut cream grafted onto a rootstock haden, if I'm not mistaken!. :D  ;) 8)

hi TIM,oops! :-[ :-[ :-[désolé c'est un porte greffe haden, parce que la photo,est un tebow comme vous l'avez écris et elle reste  provisoir comme l'a écrit CooperBotanicals dans sa réponse,la photo n'est pas  la vente ,mais un coconut cream greffé sur un porte greffe haden,si je ne me trompe pas!. :D  ;) 8)

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 06:22:16 AM by anaxel »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2012, 06:33:30 AM »
OK, I think you guys are now confusing yourselves and making things way over complicated here.  I am addressing this in general to apply to everyone...

...if you are using scions/budwood from a true grafted Coco Cream, it doesn't matter what the rootstock is you are grafting (whether seedling graft or topworking a mature tree) it to, if the graft takes the result will be a Coco Cream.  It is POSSIBLE, not definite but POSSIBLE, that by grafting onto different rootstock could have an effect on the growth habit, vigor, disease resistance, etc. of the tree but when all said and done, your tree will be a Coco Cream.
- Rob

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2012, 07:37:57 AM »
me, I understand, things are in order for the coconut cream mango tree.
thank you very much to all and you also for your clarity bsbullie. ;) :D 8)
on what rootstock, usually coconut cream is it grafted, in nurseries? (turpentine? or other?)

moi ,j'ai compris,les choses sont  dans l'ordre pour le coconut cream mango tree.
merci beaucoup a tous et vous aussi pour votre clarté bsbullie. ;) :D 8)
sur quel porte greffe, habituellement le coconut cream est il greffé,dans les pépinières? (turpentine?ou autre?)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 07:51:37 AM by anaxel »

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2012, 09:37:08 AM »
Usually turpentine.

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2012, 09:43:34 AM »
thank you samuelforest.

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2012, 02:21:37 PM »
Is it time to bring up the Young/Tebow discussion again?  :-\

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2012, 09:26:54 PM »
Is it time to bring up the Young/Tebow discussion again?  :-\
no...we all know the facts.  :)
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2012, 09:27:39 PM »
Usually turpentine.
curious, what makes you say that?
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2012, 11:24:23 PM »
Usually turpentine.
curious, what makes you say that?

My understanding is that Turpentine is the "standard" rootstock in Fla for nurseries. Salt, and cold tolerance and nematode resistance being the reasons, I believe.  also they are polyembryonic so you get consistency.

Here in the DR they use "Banilejo" which is similar looking to the Turpentine but is a favorite among the locals, very sweet, with some fiber.

I have read that Gomera-1 and one from Isreal, are superior to turpentine in trials done, for salt and cold tolerance. Gomera-3 is best for production purposes.

But really in my opinion, for backyard trees, its not all that important,  in a plantation with 10,000 trees you need consistency. and something that gives you 5% more harvest is important.   
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk