Author Topic: Ugli and King mandarin tree  (Read 3889 times)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Ugli and King mandarin tree
« on: August 14, 2018, 02:22:46 PM »
Any one knows where i can find one uli tree and one king mandarin tree? Thank's!

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Ugli and King mandarin tree
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 12:58:52 AM »
I have some ugli fruit seedlings I grew from a fruit I found at a supermarket I'd be happy to give away, but it probably wouldn't be worth all the trouble I'd have to go through since you're in Europe, getting a plant certificate, and whether it would even survive the delay through customs. The taste is kind of like a watery kind of bland navel orange, with just a little bit of grapefruit.

Anyway, the ugli fruit I tried didn't really taste all that good, although there is something kind of unique and spicy about the fragrance in the peel. The flavor is like a kind of watery bland navel orange with maybe just a little bit of grapefruit. It is very juicy though.

You're not really missing anything, and anyway I read ugli fruit doesn't deal well with the slightest bit of cold, so it may not be the most appropriate choice where you are.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 01:09:39 AM by SoCal2warm »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 05:20:21 AM »
I have some ugli fruit seedlings I grew from a fruit I found at a supermarket I'd be happy to give away, but it probably wouldn't be worth all the trouble I'd have to go through since you're in Europe, getting a plant certificate, and whether it would even survive the delay through customs. The taste is kind of like a watery kind of bland navel orange, with just a little bit of grapefruit.

Anyway, the ugli fruit I tried didn't really taste all that good, although there is something kind of unique and spicy about the fragrance in the peel. The flavor is like a kind of watery bland navel orange with maybe just a little bit of grapefruit. It is very juicy though.

You're not really missing anything, and anyway I read ugli fruit doesn't deal well with the slightest bit of cold, so it may not be the most appropriate choice where you are.
Thank you very much for your reply my friend!  ;)

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 10:53:13 PM »
Any one knows where i can find one uli tree and one king mandarin tree? Thank's!

I notice this is an old post, but it had almost no replies.

I actually have a very large King Mandarin tree.  I could obtain for you some scions if you'd like to go that route.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 09:56:32 AM »

I actually have a very large King Mandarin tree.  I could obtain for you some scions if you'd like to go that route.
Thank you very much for your reply, but i already have a ugli grafted small tree. Thank's!   ;D

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 03:54:11 PM »

Thank you very much for your reply, but i already have a ugli grafted small tree. Thank's!   ;D

Not Ugli.

King Mandarin.

Got limited space, perhaps?  I read you originally wanted one of each.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 06:00:42 AM »

Not Ugli.

King Mandarin.

Got limited space, perhaps?  I read you originally wanted one of each.
Oh i didn't understand... and king mandarin is sweet? It's good to eat?
Thank's!

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 06:07:45 PM »
Thank's!

Yes, King is very good.  Highly productive and nice tree growth.  Cold hardy as well.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 05:26:03 AM »
Thank's!

Yes, King is very good.  Highly productive and nice tree growth.  Cold hardy as well.
Thank you very much for this information! We have them available in Europe, so i thank you very much for your offer, but i will arrange it here.  Thank's!   ;)

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 11:05:51 AM »
Thank's!

Thank you very much for this information! We have them available in Europe, so i thank you very much for your offer, but i will arrange it here.  Thank's!   ;)

Sure thing.  You'd be stuck waiting until the pandemic ends before you could get them from our neck of the woods most likely.

Last year, my King was so productive, the tree turned orange.  From a distance, it looked like a giant basketball.  Lol

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 03:15:47 PM »
WOW! It should be incredible looking! Do you have photos?