Author Topic: What grapes would you grow if in east central Florida?  (Read 1094 times)

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
What grapes would you grow if in east central Florida?
« on: November 06, 2019, 06:35:17 PM »
I live in Palm Bay, Fl. and would like to grow some grapes but I would like to know
what my options are? My grandfather used to grow muscadine but I was never a
big fan of them. I'm pretty sure I can't grow the typical grocery store grapes but
am curious if there are any close relatives to them that I'm not aware of? Are there
any seedless grapes I can grow in my area?

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
Re: What grapes would you grow if in east central Florida?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 07:05:56 PM »
You might like the more modern breeds of muscadine like mangos much work has been done to improve them

mmanners

• Horticulture Professor at Florida Southern College
    • Lakeland Florida, USA. USDA 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 08:27:54 PM »
'Blue Lake' and 'Lake Emerald' are nice.  'Blue Lake' is similar to 'Concord', and 'Lake Emerald' is similar to 'Niagara', but they will do well in central and south Florida.  'Orlando Seedless' would also thrive, but be aware that it tends to make really small grapes that often don't have a lot of flavor.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 03:41:55 PM »
Ison Muscadine - Ison's Nursery & Vineyard
https://www.isons.com/shop/muscadines/self-fertile-varieties/ison-muscadine
The Ison muscadine vine is a beautiful black variety that is the best self-fertile available. The Ison muscadine contains 19% sugar and has excellent size and production. The Ison muscadine vine produces some of the best wine available because of its taste and flavor. The Ison muscadine skin is edible and the most nutritious part of the grape.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 05:03:57 PM »
I have heard good things about 'Southern Home'.  This is a complex muscadine hybrid that also has a vinifera table grape in its lineage.  Quality sounds pretty good from what I have heard but berry size is too small for it to have caught on commercially.  I think it is also a seeded grape so this is also a negative for commercial growing these days.  Years ago, I saw it at Walmart, not sure if they still sell it.

John

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 07:13:15 AM »
Most red/purple muscadines taste fairly similar except one - NESBIT.  NESBIT has a distinct Concord type flavor and is the only Florida grape that I have tasted that I plan to grow.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.